DVDVR Message Board

2015 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING NONSENSE

RIPPA

Brutally real cross-dimensional battles between people with hidden powers and monsters from the Outworld to prevent total destruction of Earth. As written by Mortal Kombat 2 and Doom scriptwriters. Sounds good to me.

Also, this 'seemingly harmless guy who realises his potential' better have the name Lou Bang until it's revealed in the end it's Liu Kang.

Brutally real cross-dimensional battles between people with hidden powers and monsters from the Outworld to prevent total destruction of Earth.

Granted I watch the Spanish version of it with no subtitles or anything, but isn't this basically the plot of Lucha Underground?

• Like 2

Not sure if there are any fans here, but the "Ready Player One" movie has a release date, December 17th, 2017. Still no cast announced.

I really enjoyed the book but it feels unfilmable.  Also, the rights for the music and the video game characters might be pretty expensive.  I wonder what the budget will look like.  While it was a pretty good selling book, it wasn't the Hunger Games as far as having a massive, built-in, rabid audience goes.

Not sure if there are any fans here, but the "Ready Player One" movie has a release date, December 17th, 2017. Still no cast announced.

I really enjoyed the book but it feels unfilmable.  Also, the rights for the music and the video game characters might be pretty expensive.  I wonder what the budget will look like.  While it was a pretty good selling book, it wasn't the Hunger Games as far as having a massive, built-in, rabid audience goes.

Why compare it to a sterotypical (but admittedly great) YA trilogy? It's a stand-alone book (for now) aimed at an older, geekier audience? The ones who are helping to drive the MCU and comic book movie boom!

As far as being unfilmable, the rights are the biggest concern (but Spielberg can probably make some things happen), otherwise the book is basically a movie script.

Why compare it to a sterotypical (but admittedly great) YA trilogy? It's a stand-alone book (for now) aimed at an older, geekier audience? The ones who are helping to drive the MCU and comic book movie boom!

As far as being unfilmable, the rights are the biggest concern (but Spielberg can probably make some things happen), otherwise the book is basically a movie script.

I wasn't comparing it to Hunger Games because I think Player One is an example of YA, I was comparing it as an example of the type of books Hollywood throws big budgets behind; books with a huge audience already there who will see the movie on its opening weekend.  Player One was a hit but hardly big enough to be considered a sure thing by risk-averse Hollywood.  So I'm wondering what kind of budget it'll get.  I didn't know Spielberg was involved so maybe we're good.

Or to simplify...

Hunger Games: sold a shit ton and has a rabid fanbase.  Gets a gigantic budget because studios know they'll recoup it easily because that fanbase will go see it. 

Ready Player One: not so much

I really feel like Spielberg's involvement is what is making RP1 a go, that's gotta open a lot of doors. I really hope they don't skimp on the pop culture referential aspects of the book, but then how much could it possibly cost to license Oingo Boingo and Ladyhawke?

I wasn't comparing it to Hunger Games because I think Player One is an example of YA, I was comparing it as an example of the type of books Hollywood throws big budgets behind; books with a huge audience already there who will see the movie on its opening weekend.  Player One was a hit but hardly big enough to be considered a sure thing by risk-averse Hollywood.  So I'm wondering what kind of budget it'll get.  I didn't know Spielberg was involved so maybe we're good.

Or to simplify...

Hunger Games: sold a shit ton and has a rabid fanbase.  Gets a gigantic budget because studios know they'll recoup it easily because that fanbase will go see it. 

Ready Player One: not so much

Ah, fair enough in terms of the comparison. Still, I think it's had a fair amount of buzz in the geek world, which seems to be enough for Hollywood these days. Spielberg signing on is huge though, and having heard Cline talk he's a massive Spielberg fan so it's a great match.

So I watched that like, "Is Juliette Lewis supposed to be a female Eric Raymond or something?" and lo and behold according to IMDB her character's name is Erica Raymond...

That having been said I don't think it looks that bad, it was never gonna be a literal "pastels, shoulderpads, and keytars" adaptation anyway...

Maybe not "pastel, shoulderpd, and keytars", but no Misfits or transformation or anything that made Jem, y'know, Jem. I'm not even a fan of the original cartoon, but I remember it being on when I was a kid and did occasionally watch the show. I can't imagine what actual fans of the show are thinking about that. Why even call it Jem and the Holograms at all when there is almost literally nothing about this movie that is the same from the source material other than the character names? This is worse than the Masters of the Universe movie with Dolph Lundgren that was absolutely nothing like it's source material, either. Man, don't even get me started on how disappointed I was in that movie as a kid.