DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Triple H cares. The sadist in me wishes Vince McMahon would book NXT for the Christmas episode. I'd like to see how bad it would be.

If the rumblings about Adrian Neville's Mighty Mouse gimmick are true, then you'll see really soon.

I'd much rather they give Neville a Danger Mouse gimmick. Bull Dempsey can play Penfold.

• Like 2

I read it as Mighty Mouse-esque which I took as to mean Rey Mysterio-like in that he's smaller than everyone, but he uses everything he can to beat the bad guy. Only difference is Mighty Mouse never loses. Guess we know who the next LOL(insertnamehere)WINSLOL will be...and I'm okay with the LOLNEVILLEWINSLOL era.

Hollinger. posted this on Facebook and it's pretty awesome, titled 'Deconstructing Pro Wrestling' by screenwriter Max Landis (Chronicle) and featuring Dolph Ziggler.  As Hollinger. said "This is a really fantastic explanation of why professional wrestling is beautiful."

• Like 5

That is really good.

Wrestling is not "fake," it's performance art. Eh, I can dig it.

That is my stance the last few years, as far as explaining it to outsiders.  I have a close friend who has just never "got" pro wrestling, simply because she keeps trying to compare it to something like UFC, and I keep trying to use the performance art point of view to explain it.  I'm also a strong believer that a non-fan will never respect wrestling unless they see it in person. 

Pro Wrestling is more analogous to an episodic, scripted television show than the Harlem Globetrotters. I honestly think that kayfabe is the biggest enemy of pro wrestling. You don't see pro wrestlers openly discussing the business on mainstream media outlets. Whenever Jim Parsons appears on late night TV, he's on there as "Jim Parsons" and not as "Sheldon Cooper." He also talks about his current projects, maybe drops some behind the scenes info. You never see a pro wrestler on mainstream TV saying "it was really fun to work with wrestler x, we should have a good performance on Sunday....etc." 

• Like 1