DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I just did the "Elizabet...Elizabet....Elizabet...Elizabet....Will yoooou marry meeee?" bit to my wife and I can't tell you how disappointed I was that she said "Yes" instead of "Ohhhhhhh Yeeeah".

I think our marriage just ended, you guys.

Well, at least you won't have to turn heel when Hulk Hogan tries to sleep with her.

I loved it too, but when I saw it recently, I had to say that it hadn't aged that well. Cheers had lost something too. The Golden Girls and Roseanne are still great, though.

I just rewatched the entire run of Cheers. Once you watch a few episodes, you can get back into the groove of it. Night Court, Wings and Cheers are very much 80s workplace comedies that follow a formula that you don't see any more though. 

I was a huge Diane fan. If I had to dream up a perfect woman, it would be Diane Chambers so I am naturally biased against the Rebecca era. I do think that Rebecca and Diane would've had amazing chemistry as adversaries though. They were clearly opposites and it would've been interesting to see Diane be subservient to what she would consider a lesser woman. You just need a plot device to explain why Sam and Diane would sell the bar.

That being said of course, Rebecca-era Cheers is still better than 95% of current sitcoms. 

I just did the "Elizabet...Elizabet....Elizabet...Elizabet....Will yoooou marry meeee?" bit to my wife and I can't tell you how disappointed I was that she said "Yes" instead of "Ohhhhhhh Yeeeah".

I think our marriage just ended, you guys.

Well, at least you won't have to turn heel when Hulk Hogan tries to sleep with her.

If Hulk tried, he succeeded. Savage was insecure about being a paper champion.

Sandow needs to go back to cosplaying as Frasier.

How about he shaves the beard and starts cosplaying as Jerry Seinfeld?
Shave Bull Dempsey's face and head and he has a George.

Give him the hairstyle and I could see Kane as Kramer.

I tombstoned Mickey Mantle at Dinky Donuts.

• Like 1

WWE News
December 19, 2014
I don’t know how to explain these numbers but last months Survivor Series did 103,000 buys on traditional pay-per-view according to WWE’s Key Performance Indicators report. Remember, the show was available for free on the WWE Network during the “Free November” trial month.
Last year the show did 177,000 buys and that was before there was a WWE Network.

Can't find the clip on youtube but this is my favorite bit from Cheers:

Coach: [answers the ringing telephone] Cheers... Yeah, just a sec. 
Coach: [to everyone in the bar] Is there an Ernie Pantusso here? 
Sam: That's you, Coach. 
Coach: [to the person on the phone] Speaking.

• Like 2

I don’t know how to explain these numbers but last months Survivor Series did 103,000 buys on traditional pay-per-view according to WWE’s Key Performance Indicators report. Remember, the show was available for free on the WWE Network during the “Free November” trial month.

Last year the show did 177,000 buys and that was before there was a WWE Network.

Those numbers are crazy. Surely there are not that many people that are located in rural areas with no broadband internet who have no problem spending $60 on 1 PPV. I also don't see how there's so many people that don't know how to get the network on their TV but are willing to spend $60. Who are these 100,000 people who spend $60 for a 3 hour show that was technically free?