DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

This may be an odd, who-cares sort of question, but is Otunga injured?  It seems like I haven't seen his name in any results for quite some time.

Otunga was working as a "legal expert" for news coverage on the Jodi Arias trial. 

What the fuck happened in this thread?

Pretty much the same thing that happens to every thread.

Could be worse ... look at what happened to June ... well, back when you *could* look at what happened to June ...

• Like 1

Regarding what Matt just said... Poor execution is something that's easy to see and right in your face. Selling is a much more subjective thing. The G1 final is a good example. Alot of people hated Naito's selling of the leg. I look at it from the "fighting spirit" side of things. It was the G1 final against the biggest star in the company. If ever there was a match to dig down and block out the pain that's it. The same cannot be said of poor selling in say an ROH midcard match.

I find it easier to excuse poor selling vs poor execution.

Speaking of which, am I the only one who hated Steve Austin's punches? Especially in the corner.

NO YOU ARE NOT. When he'd do the toe-to-toe punch off, I'd shake my head. Looked like he was cat pawing guys.

That's the perfect way to describe them. What a weak ass looking move from an otherwise totally badass guy. Plus, his timing just seemed weird after the Lou Thesz Press, when he'd do the FISTS OF FIRE, or whatever JR referred to that as.

This may be an odd, who-cares sort of question, but is Otunga injured?  It seems like I haven't seen his name in any results for quite some time.

Otunga was working as a "legal expert" for news coverage on the Jodi Arias trial. 

The Lifetime movie on her is easily in my Top-3 Lifetime/Hallmark movies of all-time. Good gawd.

Regarding what Matt just said... Poor execution is something that's easy to see and right in your face. Selling is a much more subjective thing. The G1 final is a good example. Alot of people hated Naito's selling of the leg. I look at it from the "fighting spirit" side of things. It was the G1 final against the biggest star in the company. If ever there was a match to dig down and block out the pain that's it. The same cannot be said of poor selling in say an ROH midcard match.I find it easier to excuse poor selling vs poor execution.

Well we watch a lot of matches so we pick up on the selling. I have to sort of be convinced that a wrestler knows what he's doing when he does something and it's being done for a reason I feel is valid or else I'm going to look at a match more poorly. It's the difference between watching trained acrobatics and watching wrestling. If I wanted trained acrobatics I'd watch Cirque De Soleil. If i wanted real strikes, I'd watch MMA. I want the unique art form of pro wrestling and that, to me, is primarily about the psychology, structure, and narrative of a match.

• Like 2

It's not that I want real strikes, I just want stuff that at least looks hurty. I don't want to be constantly reminded it's all phoney. I WANT TO BELIEVE MULDER I WANT TO BELIEVE SO BAD.

HOWEVER, Cena's STF is a whole other story.

Funny thing is I think the STF is the most painful looking submission on the roster.  It doesn't make any sense, because people always sell Cena's horrible hand clasp/neck squeeze while their leg looks like it's about to be ripped apart at the knee.

It looks especially nasty in the big money matches with Punk, where they usually work a rope grab/cut off spot in. When he reapplies it after dragging Punk to the center of the ring it always looks like Punk's leg might just snap in half.  

They still play it off as an upper body submission, though, which is horrible.

• Like 1

I really hate all of you

But we love you!

I'm more of a well-wisher, in that I don't wish him any specific harm.

The Simpsons soul mate quote gets you off the list.

• Like 2

HOWEVER, Cena's STF is a whole other story.

Funny thing is I think the STF is the most painful looking submission on the roster.  It doesn't make any sense, because people always sell Cena's horrible hand clasp/neck squeeze while their leg looks like it's about to be ripped apart at the knee.

It looks especially nasty in the big money matches with Punk, where they usually work a rope grab/cut off spot in. When he reapplies it after dragging Punk to the center of the ring it always looks like Punk's leg might just snap in half.  

They still play it off as an upper body submission, though, which is horrible.

Sabu called Cena a crowbar. A nice guy, but everything he does hurts.

Okay so serious question:

I just realized that the WWE needs a guy who brings an animal to the ring. Like Jake, Koko, and the Bulldogs did. So who should that wrestler be and what should be their animal?

Okay so serious question:

I just realized that the WWE needs a guy who brings an animal to the ring. Like Jake, Koko, and the Bulldogs did. So who should that wrestler be and what should be their animal?

The easiest answers are Tensai/mouse and Santino/Orangutan.

Also, Slater looks like the guy who hangs out in the Lizard/Gecko section of the pet storehoping someone will ask about his lizard/gecko.

• Like 2