DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

So what does WWE do now? Since part of the Primetime Players gimmick was to be these guys that go to the club are were swimming in girls, do they:

A. Not mention this on TV at all.

B. Slightly modify the PrimeTime Players so that being such pretty boys aren't really a part of their gimmick anymore. Maybe even a face turn.

C. Break the PTP up and try to make Darren Young into the Jason Collins of WWE. Which would mean we'd be entering into a phase of homophobic heels.

So what does WWE do now? Since part of the Primetime Players gimmick was to be these guys that go to the club are were swimming in girls, do they:

B. Slightly modify the PrimeTime Players so that being such pretty boys aren't really a part of their gimmick anymore. Maybe even a face turn.

C. Break the PTP up and try to make Darren Young into the Jason Collins of WWE. Which would mean we'd be entering into a phase of homophobic heels.

I say C.  Titus is the one with potential and he's going nowhere with the PTP.

On a different subject, I tend to avoid "reality TV" like gonorrhea so I didn't know this, but apparently the Bachelor star who killed herself the other day was in one of the Diva Searches, and actually did a movie with Colt Cabana, Disco Inferno, and Jonny Fairplay a couple years ago.

The PTPs are really entertaining off-camera, at least. I like their YouTube/WWE.com stuff that I've seen. That's largely because Titus has so much charisma and a great sense of humor. Darren's decent enough.What's really interesting -- Darren Young is essentially the Jason Collins of the WWE, even beyond being the first to come out and also African-American. They both have the same role -- never going to be a superstar, but good at the little things. Collins is a good guy off-the-bench to grab a few rebounds, play decent defense and just hustle. Young's a decent hand who will take some hard bumps, play a good sidekick, and serve the purpose of establishing other teams and/or having at least watchable matches on Main Event and at house shows against Justin Gabriel and the partner of his choice.

• Like 1

Just do what they did with the The Todd for that one episode of Scrubs...

• Like 1

To people saying NBD because of Pat Patterson...he was winkingly acknowledged as being gay in the most sneering, condescending, gay-panicky ways possible. Sure, he had backstage power and wasn't held back on the basis of his sexuality, but guys like Jim Ross went out of their way to make sure everyone knew it was Not Okay. See also: Goldust, Billy and Chuck, the Rock implying every opponent he ever faced was a nancyboy. If they handle the DY thing right, it will be a big deal.

As for what they should do, I'd say acknowledge it in passing and then move on. If they have to turn it into a story, the best bet really might be to turn them face by having some obnoxious heel (any of 3MB would work) pull out one of good ol' JR's shitty lines and letting Titus beat the ever-loving shit out of the guy and ask if anybody else has a problem with his partner. Biggest actual Be A Star move they can pull off.

• Like 3

To people saying NBD because of Pat Patterson...he was winkingly acknowledged as being gay in the most sneering, condescending, gay-panicky ways possible. Sure, he had backstage power and wasn't held back on the basis of his sexuality, but guys like Jim Ross went out of their way to make sure everyone knew it was Not Okay. See also: Goldust, Billy and Chuck, the Rock implying every opponent he ever faced was a nancyboy. If they handle the DY thing right, it will be a big deal.

As for what they should do, I'd say acknowledge it in passing and then move on. If they have to turn it into a story, the best bet really might be to turn them face by having some obnoxious heel (any of 3MB would work) pull out one of good ol' JR's shitty lines and letting Titus beat the ever-loving shit out of the guy and ask if anybody else has a problem with his partner. Biggest actual Be A Star move they can pull off.

The seeds may already be in motion for that. Titus just posted this:

I'm VERY PROUD of @DarrenYoungWWE He's been like Family 2Me&My Kids And that won't Change! #ImInFullSupportOfDarren

Posted Image

• Like 1

Maybe they can have Paul Heyman try to recruit the PTPs.  Heyman gives off this sort of creepy gay subtext in his dealings with Lesnar and Punk,  Heyman could go after them in a way that allows some people in the audience to interpret lust as a motivation.  They can accept his overtures or they spurn him and Heyman brings in another tag team to take them out.  Either way, they become part of a Team Punk vs Team Heyman traditional Survivor Series match.

Maybe Darren Young can assault CM Punk, then play the footage of Punk calling a fan a "homo" as justification.

Titus has kids!?

Man...their entire gimmick is transforming before our very eyes.

That TOTALLY fits his gimmick. He didn't say how many kids he has after all... that could just be from this weekend's mandatory visitation.

• Like 11

Titus has kids!?

Man...their entire gimmick is transforming before our very eyes.

That TOTALLY fits his gimmick. He didn't say how many kids he has after all... that could just be from this weekend's mandatory visitation.

I hear he has two six-year-olds, and they're not twins.

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

Apparently you didn't see his season of NXT where he coined the MAKE IT A WIN phrase. Seriously though, always had a soft spot for Darren Young as a wrestler, and Titus has charisma, there's no reason not to push them as a face tag team with crowd-sing-a-long catch phrases.

Will Titus be coming out as an idiot in real life. Going off on three hour tangents because someone used a common term like washrag that he was somehow not familiar with?But really, does Titus have a legit learning disability?

How dare you. That was the Raw moment of the year.
  • Like 4

The washrag conversation was by far the best moment the PTPs have had so far.

I see no reason to change up their gimmick at all - it's not like they show them on TV swimming in a sea of women every week, or ever that I can recall. It would be a terrible idea to make an angle out of this at all, and would ruin the great way WWE has handled this so far.

• Like 1