DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The poor gay community can't catch a break. First it's a 12th Man NBA'er who can't get a job, and now it's a wrestler who can't stop doing jobs.

I'm looking forward to Meltzer stumbling all over this story in an upcoming radio show.

@StephMcMahon: Congratulations to @DarrenYoungWWE for being the first openly gay WWE Superstar!

So probably not a joke or a misunderstanding.

I suspect this will be a good thing for Young's career. And obviously his personal life too.

Trying to think of a pun or joke for "Millions of dollars"...

@StephMcMahon: Congratulations to @DarrenYoungWWE for being the first openly gay WWE Superstar!So probably not a joke or a misunderstanding.

But a work is still on the table. Sadly.

I'm really hoping they just said "Look, USA wants a gay character, if anyone in the locker room is ACTUALLY gay, please come see us." And Darren Young didn't just bullshit his way into a really important role.

Cena had this to say:

John Cena had praise for Young's decision. "Oh, wonderful," he said when told of the news. "Good for him. That's fantastic ... I know Darren personally. Darren's a great guy. That's a very bold move for him. And congratulations for him for actually finally doing it." Cena, whose older brother is gay, added that he expected this wouldn't have any effect on his work.

"It's all about being professional, and Darren Young is a consummate professional," Cena said. "For us, it's entertainment, and if you're entertaining you shouldn't be judged by race, creed, color or sexuality ... as long as you're entertaining."

I didn't know Cena's brother was gay.Also, the language "actually finally doing it" sounds like it's something D-Young has talked about with his peers and co-workers for a while.I'm glad Steph tweeted what she did. But wasn't Darren on the fringe of being let go a while ago? He's a good enough hand but not anything more than that. Titus is the guy they have their eyes on in the PTPs. (And deservedly so -- the dude's oozing charisma.)

I don't give two shits about this story, but this is funny.

Stephanie McMahon comments on Twitter: Stephanie McMahon ✔ @StephMcMahon Congratulations to @DarrenYoungWWE for being the first openly gay WWE Superstar! 10:17 AM - 15 Aug 2013 Pat Patterson ✔ @PatPattersonWWE Hey @StephMcMahon, did you forget who your own godfather is? 10:28 AM - 15 Aug 2013
  • Like 3

To anyone who has followed wrestling, this isn't a big deal. Pat was at one point one of the handful of most powerful people in the industry. His sexuality was referenced quite a bit when he was an on-stage character. It was sort of repugnant to hear the good-guy announcers slyly mocking his homosexuality. I'm curious as to how that would go over now.There have also been a ridiculous amount of performers who are also gay. And there have been gay characters. I get why Jason Collins (and whoever is after him) is a big deal in the real sports world. But in wrestling, there whole thing is dripping with homoerotic overtones.

Darren's obviously going to get a media push from this.

To anyone who has followed wrestling, this isn't a big deal. Pat was at one point one of the handful of most powerful people in the industry. His sexuality was referenced quite a bit when he was an on-stage character. It was sort of repugnant to hear the good-guy announcers slyly mocking his homosexuality. I'm curious as to how that would go over now.There have also been a ridiculous amount of performers who are also gay. And there have been gay characters. I get why Jason Collins (and whoever is after him) is a big deal in the real sports world. But in wrestling, there whole thing is dripping with homoerotic overtones.

The key word is "openly".  Pat Patterson was well-known backstage to be gay, and on the internet, but was never "openly" out there.

• Like 1

Triple H ‏@TripleH 4m

Congratulations, @DarrenYoungWWE for living YOUR life, YOUR way. #proud

Man I bet 1997 Triple H would have been less welcoming

The year he claimed he was "Bi- a lot of things" on PPV?

To anyone who has followed wrestling, this isn't a big deal. Pat was at one point one of the handful of most powerful people in the industry. His sexuality was referenced quite a bit when he was an on-stage character. It was sort of repugnant to hear the good-guy announcers slyly mocking his homosexuality. I'm curious as to how that would go over now.

There have also been a ridiculous amount of performers who are also gay. And there have been gay characters. I get why Jason Collins (and whoever is after him) is a big deal in the real sports world. But in wrestling, there whole thing is dripping with homoerotic overtones.

Let's not forget Jim Barnett.