DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Who really cares he's gay. I'm more interested in his race. Is he mixed? Is he an unhealthily tanned white dude? I've been vexed by this for awhile now.

Is mixed the right word? I really don't think we're supposed to be talking about this.

Well, you freaked when I said quadroon

• Like 1

To anyone who has followed wrestling, this isn't a big deal. Pat was at one point one of the handful of most powerful people in the industry. His sexuality was referenced quite a bit when he was an on-stage character. It was sort of repugnant to hear the good-guy announcers slyly mocking his homosexuality. I'm curious as to how that would go over now.There have also been a ridiculous amount of performers who are also gay. And there have been gay characters. I get why Jason Collins (and whoever is after him) is a big deal in the real sports world. But in wrestling, there whole thing is dripping with homoerotic overtones.

Darren's obviously going to get a media push from this.

The key word is "openly".  Pat Patterson was well-known backstage to be gay, and on the internet, but was never "openly" out there.

Right, that's why Jim Ross said stuff like. "And he's single, fellas!"

(Granted, a lot depends on how one defines "WWE superstar" but the Stooges were wrestling fairly often at that point.)

Can't wait for the wingnuts' heads to collectively explode as this gets out.

So far the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive, even on Twitter. Anti-gay wingnuts are quickly dwindling, even among the Conservative and the Religious.

To anyone who has followed wrestling, this isn't a big deal. Pat was at one point one of the handful of most powerful people in the industry. His sexuality was referenced quite a bit when he was an on-stage character. It was sort of repugnant to hear the good-guy announcers slyly mocking his homosexuality. I'm curious as to how that would go over now.There have also been a ridiculous amount of performers who are also gay. And there have been gay characters. I get why Jason Collins (and whoever is after him) is a big deal in the real sports world. But in wrestling, there whole thing is dripping with homoerotic overtones.

Darren's obviously going to get a media push from this.

The key word is "openly".  Pat Patterson was well-known backstage to be gay, and on the internet, but was never "openly" out there.

Right, that's why Jim Ross said stuff like. "And he's single, fellas!"

Still...that's not really "openly" gay.  Especially in light of wrestling's history of denigrating heels as homosexual (I mean, Goldust turned face by revealing he wasn't "queer"!), Ross insinuating that Patterson, a heel, is gay, isn't really declaring someone as openly gay.  I mean, you could use this same line of reasoning to say that John Cena was openly gay because The Rock said as much.  Or how many heels John Cena has suggested are gay.

Also, to people saying "So what?", "It's not a big deal", etc. etc.  It IS a big deal.  It certainly is STILL a big deal.  Hopefully, one day, it won't be.  Hopefully one day there will just bs some people who are straight, some who are gay etc. etc.  But you need only to look at the upcoming Olympics in Russia to see that, yeah, it IS still a big deal to come out as openly gay.  And hopefully Young isn't punished for this.  And hopefully Young has the courage to stand up and go "Yeah, so what?"  And, hopefully, in the not too distant future, media won't have to ask wrestlers, athletes, celebrities and the like this question, because it isn't a question anymore and people are just gay like other people are not gay, and it's no big deal.

But, yeah, at this moment in time, this is a big deal.  Nice work, Darren!

• Like 14

HEY!

What's that move called when you put a guy on his stomach, bend his leg like a four, then thread your leg through his and then either fall back to tweak his leg OR bridge back to apply pressure?

My favorite part of this was the frustration on the Cena Bella's face that she wasn't getting much camera time while Cena spoke. 

I think it had more to do with the TMZ guy clearly interrupting what was personal time between her and Cena.

What I hope happens from this: PTP are turned face, and pushed as 2 friends with no damn flamboyant awkward Rico/Haas stuff. Just two guys who are friends with the sexuality difference not being a factor.

I'm fine with this except the face turn. That would be terrible. PTP are fun because their gimmick is obnoxious and arrogant making them the perfect heels.

Can't wait for the wingnuts' heads to collectively explode as this gets out.

So far the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive, even on Twitter. Anti-gay wingnuts are quickly dwindling, even among the Conservative and the Religious.

They've only changed their views for future elections. They are very much still alive.

McMahon never took much of a position on gay marriage either way, calling DOMA a "states rights issue", and very intentionally not elaborating so it can be spun either way.

I don't expect her to say anything interesting.  I'm more interested in seeing if other Republicans try to make noise over it.

What I hope happens from this: PTP are turned face, and pushed as 2 friends with no damn flamboyant awkward Rico/Haas stuff. Just two guys who are friends with the sexuality difference not being a factor.

I'm fine with this except the face turn. That would be terrible. PTP are fun because their gimmick is obnoxious and arrogant making them the perfect heels.

Isn't being obnoxious and arrogant what leads to some heels being cheered?  I say, give them a higher-profile role and let the fans decide.  What should they do if the fans end up really wanting to cheer Darren Young because of this?  Are there places he will get an interesting reception, such as Philly?

HEY!What's that move called when you put a guy on his stomach, bend his leg like a four, then thread your leg through his and then either fall back to tweak his leg OR bridge back to apply pressure?

I'm not sure Jae, it kind of looks like an inverted Indian Deathlock. Would one call it that?

HEY!What's that move called when you put a guy on his stomach, bend his leg like a four, then thread your leg through his and then either fall back to tweak his leg OR bridge back to apply pressure?

I'm not sure Jae, it kind of looks like an inverted Indian Deathlock. Would one call it that?

Is this the move you are talking about: