DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I would be into Bryan bringing back some form of the Nexus as back up against the Authority. I'd go with Bryan, Bad News Barrett, Ryback, Curtis Axel, and Justin Gabriel. Some of you will may scoff at my inclusion of Axel, but I like the team that he and Ryback have become.

I'd pop like hell hearing "I'm afraid I've got some bad news" and watching them storm the ring to kick the crap out of Coorporate Kane and Randy Orton.

Bob Roop wants to know if you think you're a goddamned wrestler...

Is that the sugar hold? I was just talking about that with a friend in regards to Ole stretching wannabes and geeks. Couldn't quite figure what it looked like exactly but the first hold Roop has him in looks and sounds (Ole always talked about the screams of agony) like the sugar hold.

If not, what the hell does the sugar hold look like?

Bob Roop wants to know if you think you're a goddamned wrestler...

Is that the sugar hold? I was just talking about that with a friend in regards to Ole stretching wannabes and geeks. Couldn't quite figure what it looked like exactly but the first hold Roop has him in looks and sounds (Ole always talked about the screams of agony) like the sugar hold.

If not, what the hell does the sugar hold look like?

It's Roop's Sugar Hold. Stu's Sugar Hold was a full nelson camel clutch.

Wait.  Why am I being so unambitious...chemical attack?

Replace "chemical attack" with "army of cyborg chimps" and we're onto something.

And always ask yourself "What would Milius do?"

The answer is:

Dean Ambrose is a young hobo riding the rails into danger when he discovers a plot to unleash an army of cyborg chimps from a train hurtling through L.A. 

Team him up as Rutger Hauer's young protege in Hobo With A Shotgun 2, and Ambrose can start writing his Best Supporting Actor speech now.

Paging BEN!: please tie this in with the Vince's Hobo Army continuity.

stat,

RAF

People longing for a Nexus reunion...things must be bad. Good debut, one guy talks, the rest are silent and don't develop their characters at all, squashed. No tickets sold, awful ppv. Sounds like an angle that should revisited.

• Like 1

Folks also seem to forget that Barrett wrestled like a poor man's Test in 2010.

An argument could be made that Test should've replaced Austin at Survivor Series 1999, won the WWF Championship and then dropped it to HHH at Armageddon.

Triple H marrying Steph to goad Test into putting the belt on the line would've been a plot twist that would've HELPED Test. It would've at least given him an active role in trying to get his fiancee back. 

You know this whole "guy we didn't want to get over got over! Better kill it!" Thing is ridiculous when you try to put it to work on television and it sounds ridiculous.

"This Fonzie guy is pretty popular, better kill him in a motorcyclist accident."

You know this whole "guy we didn't want to get over got over! Better kill it!" Thing is ridiculous when you try to put it to work on television and it sounds ridiculous.

"This Fonzie guy is pretty popular, better kill him in a motorcyclist accident."

No, but ABC took everything that made The Fonz popular and got rid of it when he got over. He went from being a streetwise seedy guy to being a lovable teddy bear who is always there to save the day and OVERCOME DA ODDS. They used Fonz as a catalyst to expand Happy Days's audience and draw in more children. If you recall, before season 3 (when The Fonz became front and center), their ratings weren't so hot. ABC noticed that Fonz had gained popularity so they retooled the entire show around him. Kind of similar to what Vince did to Cena. 

John Cena is The Fonz of the wrestling world.

No, but ABC took everything that made The Fonz popular and got rid of it when he got over. He went from being a streetwise seedy guy to being a lovable teddy bear who is always there to save the day and OVERCOME DA ODDS. They used Fonz as a catalyst to expand Happy Days's audience and draw in more children. If you recall, before season 3 (when The Fonz became front and center), their ratings weren't so hot. ABC noticed that Fonz had gained popularity so they retooled the entire show around him. Kind of similar to what Vince did to Cena.

John Cena is The Fonz of the wrestling world.

Mind blown.

It's also telling that every single one of them was in trunks. Foley talked about how no one wears pants in the ring anymore, it's the Ortonization of the industry.

Much like with De-Stalinization in the Soviet Union, the De-Ortonization era of the WWE should be a relatively fruitful time.  Except, rather than statues of Stalin being taken down, strategically placed and well thought out tattoo murals on wrestlers will slowly disappear.