DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

My fiance has been obscenely stressed lately and has had a rough couple of days. We are in the middle of planning a wedding, which we are both funding out of our own pockets and trying to navigate those waters without much guidance is just not fun and is stressful for us both.

She also battles with strabismus or something similar to it, so it will cause her eye to cross and stay crossed for a few hours sometimes. It's happened to her a lot this week, and she's now wanting to cancel our wedding photographer because she's worried that her eye will be crossed during our photos. I am trying to prod her to stay the course and that everything will be fine.

To make matters worse, someone tried to break into her car a few months ago which caused her door handle break off her pretty new vehicle yesterday.

Man, life just has a way of trolling you at terrible times.

Just going to put this over here so the love-in can happen for the people who want it.

I hate father's day. Not because I hate my dad or anything, I miss him. I hate father's day because of all of the different capitalist machines trying to bust into my fucking life. "DADS LOVE DOMINOS." "DON'T WAIT, BUY YOUR DAD A GUITAR." "EVERYONE KNOWS DADS WANT WHATEVER WE'RE SELLING." It's like a wound salting festival.

While buying games on Origin today found out that my account had somehow been hacked, the language changed to Russian & my name switched to Denis Strokov.

Really wouldn't be a big deal but the security question got changed to something in Russian too, so I can't change my password and customer support isn't available on Sundays.  So basically changed every other bit of information I could on there, disconnected any payment accounts I had and am just going to wait til tomorrow to even try downloading the games until after I can talk to someone.

edit: nevermind found a live chat that can help today.  Still annoying, though.

$1300 in vet bills I could have done with out. Pet insurance will take a chunk out of that, but still.

After getting teeth extracted and a mass removed from the base of her ear, the vet put a soft collar on her to keep her from scratching at the place the mass was removed. While the doc was giving me care instructions (including keeping the collar on for a week,) Annie got the collar off while drugged out and inside her cat cage. The doc put a plastic collar on instead. That one lasted all the way out to the car.

I'll mention that this cat has managed to open locked doors before.

I go back inside and explain the problem to the doctor. Understandably, she is concerned Annie might rip out her sutures, but I'm failing to see what I can do to prevent this. The doctor asked if I could "watch her really closely".

Me: "It was like 60 seconds before she got it off. As a human being with both a job and a need to sleep, how closely do you think I'm capable of watching her?" (paraphrased)

Her: "Can you take her to work?"

Me: "..."

So, how many married heterosexual friends of yours on facebook changed their profile picture to the rainbow one? I'm up to five, and a bonus single hetero.

I can only envision one of them ever protesting or writing congresspeople or aaaaaaaaanything helpful other than "now that it's legal, here is my bold support. Yay! You couldn't have done it without me!"

I also fall under the hetero category, and I don't mean to get on anyone's case for that. I just know when a victory isn't mine.

• Like 4

So, how many married heterosexual friends of yours on facebook changed their profile picture to the rainbow one? I'm up to five, and a bonus single hetero.

I can only envision one of them ever protesting or writing congresspeople or aaaaaaaaanything helpful other than "now that it's legal, here is my bold support. Yay! You couldn't have done it without me!"

I also fall under the hetero category, and I don't mean to get on anyone's case for that. I just know when a victory isn't mine.

I'm sad that I can only give you one like.

I'm happy as hell for my friends, both real world and online, that have actually been discriminated against and enjoy seeing them celebrate.

But for the sort of people you're talking about, yes, it's basically like Drake showing up in the winning team's locker room after a playoff game at this point.

That seems like an exceedingly cynical take on things. I'm straight and married and I'm not the type to spend my spare time protesting or gathering signatures. That said I'm happy a step was taken toward equality. I'm glad my best friend who has been married for six years will have that marriage recognized in our state. I'm glad that this may help give my cousin and her girlfriend the ability to marry without having to go out of state.

I don't think it's MY victory, and I certainly wouldn't pretend I played an active role on it. I do think it's a victory for our country though, and I don't feel guilty for celebrating that.

PS I didn't add a rainbow filter to my profile pic, but that's due to laziness and indifference to acts of "slacktivism" on my part.

• Like 1

Yeah, half my FB friends rainbowed their profile picks, and they're Canadian, where marriage equality has been the law of the land for a while now. It's a showing of support and celebration, not a colonization of the victory.

• Like 1

So I live in the top floor of a two-story house. We've had new downstairs neighbours for the last few months, and they're inconsiderate as hell. They've filled the backyard with their stuff, so my wife and I basically can't use it. They smoke pot in their bedroom, which is right below our bedroom, which means that our bedroom stinks all the time. I've got no moral/legal problem with pot at all, but I don't smoke and it stinks. My wife works at a bank, and doesn't need her wardrobe smelling like that. We've asked them to smoke anywhere else in the house, but apparently that's too big of an ask (the ask is also awkward given that they're 10-15 years older than us). Finally, we share the basement, which is where the laundry machines are. They leave their cat down there. Their cat hisses, spits, and slashes at me every time I go down. It's infuriating. None of this shit is breaking any rules (even the pot is legal); it's just fucking rude.

So I'm almost positive that I would be 100% happier if I never watched another second of professional wrestling.  It's a fucking drug addiction that I feel like I'd be better off shaking.  What the hell do I do about it?

I'm just getting sick of my brain never getting any better.  I almost look forward to death because the people around me will finally be rid of me and I won't have to feel anything any more.

So.....only certain people can celebrate a major victory for human rights? 

So I really, really, really don't want to turn the Son Of A thread into a large scale political debate, so I'm going to attempt to make myself clear one more time and then I am going to urge people who want to respond to do it in PM, because what this thread offers for other people is just too valuable and I would hate to see it closed down with my frustration at the root of it.

As a preface, a primary focus of my ongoing psychology education is dedicated to working with transgender patients. My experiences, and frustrations, are informed by that.

Also that San Diego is a city with some real fucked up attitudes about the LGBT community, despite whatever statistics you could find about how "forward" we are or whatever.

My issue IS NOT the celebration of the supreme court ruling of gay marriage. 

My issue is the co-opting of the rainbow flag by people who did not take it up at any point where their support would have made a difference, and who would never participate in LGBT causes otherwise. Even if it would turn the tide of these issues dramatically.

I do not think they are taking the flag maliciously. I think they are being careless. I was frustrated by the carelessness.

Symbols matter. Especially symbols defined by a community for themselves. The people I am frustrated with could not be further outside of the LGBT community.
There are, of course, people out there who are going to feel emboldened and comforted by the support. Just as likely as there are people who are going to feel put off by it.

I wrote that post after talking to a very close friend of mine who is annoyed and disheartened by the gesture, and then noticing that while a lot of my married friends had changed their profile picture, none of my LGBT friends who directly benefit from the supreme court ruling did. It felt gross. I came to the venting thread to vent.
My circle is only representative of my circle.

If you have a thing to say about any of that, PLEASE PM me and leave this thread alone. I'm happy to talk about any of it, but people need this thread.

• Like 1

So I'm almost positive that I would be 100% happier if I never watched another second of professional wrestling.  It's a fucking drug addiction that I feel like I'd be better off shaking.  What the hell do I do about it?

I'm just getting sick of my brain never getting any better.  I almost look forward to death because the people around me will finally be rid of me and I won't have to feel anything any more.

Dude. . . :(

I'm already on antidepressants.  They seemed to help at one point, then they increased the dosage and I had a bad reaction to it so I went back to the original dosage.  Now I'm feeling like crap again.

Far too often nowadays I just feel like "What's the point?"

Giving a major FUCK YOU to my Statistics course.  Required course that I have no business taking.  Told my professor and adviser in week 1 that I was going to flunk this course since I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing.  Was given very generic, useless help that pretty much ignored the fact that I told them "I need to be taught this stuff".  All of the material assumes I know what I'm doing already.  So here I am, taking my final exam, likely to flunk horribly.  I still feel like college was the biggest mistake I ever made.  It has done nothing but stress me out and put me into debt.

Someone broke into my truck. Their grand haul? My mother's handicap parking placard (I had taken her to a doctors appointment that day), my 4 year old costco sunglasses (along with the batman sunglass case my girlfriend gave me for xmas) and about 35 bucks in loose change and bills from my center console. They've hit a few other cars on my block too.

As some of you know, the northwest has been super hot and super dry for quite awhile. We've been 92F or hotter for the last 10+ days with only 20 minutes of (light) rain in the last month and no end of that in sight. We had kids falling and getting 2nd degree burns while playing in our annual Hoopfest 3-on-3 tournament at the end of June, thanks to 110 degree temps that weekend.

As you can guess, with all of that comes fires. There's a big one burning about an hour east of Spokane that could destroy the home of our friend's parents. Another one is a LOT closer to home, just a couple miles northwest of my home. My wife's best friend is able to see the fire from the end of her street and they've packed up stuff in preparation of evacuating. The fire is on the opposite side of a river from them but the river isn't very wide and the fire could easily jump the gap. It looks like they may have it contained but you never know.

Anyway, yeah, we could really use some rain in these parts while Weather.com has us 90+ 10 of the next 15 days with zero chance of rain. :(