DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

a friend of mine just got assaulted outside of a bar last night. he was taken to the hospital but moved about 2 hours away to a larger/better hospital. cracked skull, broken collarbone, and apparently he goes in and out of consciousness. I guess there's a "brain bleed" which i don't know what that is but it can't be good.  I don't know what happened, or how, or who else was involved, but i'm genuinely concerned. it really sucks to not have any updated information.

Got fired from my job today. They  cited my attendance. I had 2 warnings on record and called off yesterday to take my wife ot the hospital but I still got someone to call in and work my shift. The boss said because it was all done last minute it still counts and so I got canned.

I won't miss the job so much. Dealing with people on the Government Cell Phone program can be trying. Still there were people I liked working with that I will miss.

Oh well, on to better things I hope

James

Might want to check, but since you called off to take your spouse to the hospital, your employer seems to have violated Ohio Employment Law.  Probably not worth the hassle to take them to court, but hey, just in case.

Ohio Wrongful Termination FAQ

Since Ohio (like Virginia) is an at-will state, to the best of my knowledge that isn't one of the protected reasons. They can always say someone else could have taken her (not personally being callous, just saying what their argument would probably be).

May still be able to get unemployment though, they may not fight it if they knew it was a somewhat sketchy reason to fire in the first place.  A lot of jobs will let people they fired still get unemployment anyway (ie not fight it) even if they were fired 'for cause'.

So what's the only thing worse than finding a dead lizard on your pillow? Finding half a dead lizard on your pillow! Fucking cats. The three boys, Twister, Jackpot and Seven bring little Sersei the lizards and then she brings them into the house to take credit for the kill, of course, she usually eats half of one before depositing the remainder in a conspicuous place like the coffee table, my desk or worse, the bed...

My dad's cancer keeps coming back every time they think they're making progress on it. The doctor told him he didn't think there was really anything else left to do, and to go home and live however much life he has left. He's only 62.

Thanks fellas. There's some kind of chemotherapy pill that he can take that would at least help prolong his life, but we're afraid his insurance won't cover it because it costs FOURTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS a month. If he can get on that, he could still have years left. Without it, who knows. Right know he feels OK so he isn't going to die this weekend or anything.

Having a hard time at work recently. I'm thoroughly convinced that my boss thinks I'm incompetent, I made a bad error in judgment about a situation recently, and I may have gotten one of the people mad Friday. Not to mention that Monday I will probably get reamed over something that all of a sudden is due in less than a week (even though my portion of it is done).

Then I find out my ex got married in June to a guy that she only knew for a few weeks.

A dear friend of mine committed suicide last night. We met back in the days I was working at the strip club. She'd had a tough life, but was always there to support all of her friends through hard times. She and another friend were engaged to be married this month, but they broke up two months ago. She made a mistake, but it seemed like she was rebounding back and getting her life back on track.

I was supposed to be going to her wedding this summer. Now I'm going to her funeral.

az25_n_zpsvgragtvj.jpg

Goodbye, Az.

Having a hard time at work recently. I'm thoroughly convinced that my boss thinks I'm incompetent, I made a bad error in judgment about a situation recently, and I may have gotten one of the people mad Friday. Not to mention that Monday I will probably get reamed over something that all of a sudden is due in less than a week (even though my portion of it is done).

Had a very poor evaluation at work last week, like a "do your job better or you're fired" talk, so I know that feel bro.

On the span of three days, I've had a friend who lost his SECOND son to cancer, a friend who's dad was found stabbed to death in a parking lot, and a friend who's son found her dead in bed this morning. I'm on "feels" overload right now. That god for Ativan...

Well I'm going to gripe about my downstairs neighbors. In fact I'm still fuming from a run-in with my neighbor this morning, about two hours ago. I want to make sure that I have a right to be pissed, and that I'm not just being reactive. 

Background:

Both my neighbors and I are members of a housing co-op. They have been in the co-op longer, but just moved to this house when the downstairs flat became available. We have lived here for more than five years. We obviously have separate flats, and we share a basement (storage, washing machines, furnaces) and a backyard.

We've had two previous neighbors downstairs. Like us, they had dogs. We got a fence put up in the backyard so that our dogs could play together.

New Neighbors:

• Put their cat in the shared basement during the day. It is aggressive and hisses and spits at me and my wife when we're near it. Sometimes it sits on the stairs to the basement. When I try to inch past it, it claws at my legs. Wife won't get near it so now I do all the laundry.
  • They also put their cat out in the back yard all night. It does the same thing there. It really hates my dog (a wheaten terrier) and will hiss and spit at Ollie, so now he won't go in the back if he sees it. Because he's timid.
  • The husband smokes pot constantly, which really smells up the house. It had always been an (unofficial) non-smoking house. My wife and I don't smoke, and have allergies, and this is especially a problem when he smokes at night right below our bedroom. (To be clear: pot is not the problem. Smell is the problem). We sent a polite email asking for pot to be smoked at the front of the house or outside or in the basement. Got bitchy response, some infrequent accommodation
  • They put a political sign up front without letting us know. I mean I'm not going to clamp down on their freedom of expression but it is my lawn too and a quick note would have been an easy courtesy.
  • The house badly needs to be painted, but all house work gets OK'd through the Co-op first (who reimburse you for expenses). Because there are other, more important things to do with money, we did not get the OK to paint the house. They started painting the house anyway. And I mean "started": he half-painted the first floor of the house a different colour four weeks ago and stopped. It looks ridiculous.
  • They fixed up the backyard considerably, trimming trees and bushes, weeding, adding herb garden and as hit load of lawn furniture. So that's nice, but Ollie can't play in the backyard anymore, cuz if he was off leash he would fuck that stuff up. I can live with that: they are, after all, trying to improve the place. But...
  • They sent me an email saying that they were putting down new grass, and could Ollie piss out front instead of the back? I said "sure," told them that I'd make sure to take him out front for a few days. Don't hear back from them. Go back to occasionally letting Ollie piss/shit in backyard, since obviously we clean up after him and that's what the backyard has always been for.
  • THIS MORNING after I (not yet dressed for the day) take Ollie out for an early morning leak in the backyard the dude downstairs rudely confronts me, says Ollie is ruining the yard, that no dog owner would ever let his dog piss in the backyard because dogs have acid piss (paraphrase) that destroys the lawn, that this is just common sense, everyone knows that, insinuates that I'm too lazy to walk dog. I point out that they leave a cat out back for 8-10 hours a night. He tells me that cat doesn't go to bathroom all night--holds it until he gets back in to use kitty litter. Tells me I know nothing of animals. I'm like "dog was here first. Can we no longer use back yard?" He says of course he can use the yard, as long as he doesn't pee. I kinda shrug a "whatever" at him and wish him a good day, cuz he's much older than me and we have to live together and escalating things seemed like a bad idea. Anyway, polite note that I misunderstood, that they don't want dog pissing in backyard at all, would not have angered me (though I still wouldn't have agreed to it), but rude asshole insinuating that I am the one who is a rude asshole has got my blood boiling.

So, technically whenever there's friction between co-op members we're supposed to get the Membership committee involved, and they can mediate and decide on a course of action. So that's one option. Option two is to let it go and just accommodate the neighbors, but I'm kinda thinking that if I do that the next thing you know they'll have occupied half of my flat. Option three is just to keep letting the dog piss outside and see what happens. But before choosing an option I will just be angry for a bit.

Control your neighbor is being a cock, its not you. Bad neighbors are the worst.

I once had the guy who lived above me call the cops and tell them I was having "a wild party with coke and prostitutes". Imagine the surprised police officers, all six of them mind you, who arrived at my door...at 5 pm on a Saturday...to find 5 8 year olds and about 6 six adults...eating birthday cake as my nephew opened his gifts. No coke (well...not the good kind) and so far as I know none of us were prostitutes.

• Like 1

We've got a lot of stuff going on, but I'm a bit over my head on this one, so I'm going to post it here. 

-Our house is probably around 30 years old now. It's a split level with the bottom half being a finished basement. The basement is a large family room with a door attached to it, the laundry room, a half bath, and our bedroom.

-We are near a quarry, maybe a couple of miles away, maybe less, and the quarry blasts once every day, and has for decades. 

-There is a crack in our foundation a foot away from the door. We didn't notice it when we bought the house. It looks like it's been patched up over the years, but that the patch is coming off somewhat:

2hhhagm.jpg

-Given the slope of the backyard, all of the water pools down into the area by the crack. When it thunderstorms, it can be bad to the point where even with a bucket we can't get rid of the water because it'll all flow back down and everything will be flooded.

-When it rains that much (or even a little less), water will seep in, and the carpet will get wet. 

-On the other side of this crack is a sort of internal wall. Inside of it is, as best as we know, insulation within a plastic enclosure. The corner by the door has gotten some water damage due to all of this.

2uoszmg.jpg

-We're guessing that there's mold in there as well, though there doesn't seem to be a ton under the carpet from the bit we've pulled up. We've been quick to use fans to dry things off and towels, when we've noticed this. It's also gotten much worse this year compared to last year or the year before. 

-We're expecting this to be a fairly massive expense to fix between the mold/wall/carpet/foundation, etc. There's also the realization that we're on borrowed time. One more big storm, especially if we're not home, could really mess things up. 

-Also, the OTHER side of the door, over the last week or so, the wooden paneling has started to bow out considerably and I have no idea why that'd be as that's not the side the crack is on.

We want to bring in a structural engineer before bringing in a contractor. It looks like that'll be around $300 for a visit so I want to make the most of it. I am really hesitant to start tearing the internal wood (inner wall) down in order to see what's behind it, but I have a feeling that we'd have to do that BEFORE bringing the engineer in or else what they'll be able to see is minimal and we'd mainly be wasting our $300. We're going to have to rent a storage unit to make room too. 

I'll take any advice on this one. It's way out of my wheelhouse. 

tl;dr version:  You're boned and this is gonna cost a ton.

Longer:

Slope of the yard has basically fucked your foundation.  It's unlikely to have anything to do with the quarry.  If you were in the shockwave damage zone from them, your neighbors would be damaged as well and you'd all be suing the shit out of the quarry.  So the water has just eaten away at the foundation over the years, and patches suck.  Really, patchwork on foundations are just that, patchwork that will come loose and the damage will start again.  At minimum you're gonna need a pro to fix the foundation where its cracked, possibly a landscaper to fix your lawn slope, and someone to find a way to move the water into the drainage system instead of eroding your concrete and flowing into the house.  

My advise would be to do your homework and research contractors in the area, specifically ones that will do a whole inspection (including making holes in the wall to at least see what's behind it damage wise.  You're going to have to pull it up anyway, and a good contractor will keep the damage minimal in case there's no need to do extra work.  Remember, the more you rip up, the more that needs to be fixed.  Check references, reviews, vette the contractor throughly and make sure its a good, legit one.  There are tons of shit contractors that'll bail after starting or taking some of your money, and you're now on the hook for fixing what he fucked up.  There are whole shows on HGTV and DiY devoted to people having to fix the remenants of shitty contractors.  

But get this done fast.  the longer you wait, the more fucked that crack is gonna get, and the higher chance that something catastrophic will happen.