DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

Angie's List would be a good place to find a contractor, you probably want to have at least two and maybe three come and give estimates on the work(if you can find that many with good reviews).  An outdoor French drain might work to keep the water from draining to the foundation, either a contractor or  a landscaper should be able to put that in and the contractor should be able to tell you if that will work for your situation or not.

Well I'm going to gripe about my downstairs neighbors. In fact I'm still fuming from a run-in with my neighbor this morning, about two hours ago. I want to make sure that I have a right to be pissed, and that I'm not just being reactive.

Background:

Both my neighbors and I are members of a housing co-op. They have been in the co-op longer, but just moved to this house when the downstairs flat became available. We have lived here for more than five years. We obviously have separate flats, and we share a basement (storage, washing machines, furnaces) and a backyard.

We've had two previous neighbors downstairs. Like us, they had dogs. We got a fence put up in the backyard so that our dogs could play together.

New Neighbors:

• Put their cat in the shared basement during the day. It is aggressive and hisses and spits at me and my wife when we're near it. Sometimes it sits on the stairs to the basement. When I try to inch past it, it claws at my legs. Wife won't get near it so now I do all the laundry.
  • They also put their cat out in the back yard all night. It does the same thing there. It really hates my dog (a wheaten terrier) and will hiss and spit at Ollie, so now he won't go in the back if he sees it. Because he's timid.
  • The husband smokes pot constantly, which really smells up the house. It had always been an (unofficial) non-smoking house. My wife and I don't smoke, and have allergies, and this is especially a problem when he smokes at night right below our bedroom. (To be clear: pot is not the problem. Smell is the problem). We sent a polite email asking for pot to be smoked at the front of the house or outside or in the basement. Got bitchy response, some infrequent accommodation
  • They put a political sign up front without letting us know. I mean I'm not going to clamp down on their freedom of expression but it is my lawn too and a quick note would have been an easy courtesy.
  • The house badly needs to be painted, but all house work gets OK'd through the Co-op first (who reimburse you for expenses). Because there are other, more important things to do with money, we did not get the OK to paint the house. They started painting the house anyway. And I mean "started": he half-painted the first floor of the house a different colour four weeks ago and stopped. It looks ridiculous.
  • They fixed up the backyard considerably, trimming trees and bushes, weeding, adding herb garden and as hit load of lawn furniture. So that's nice, but Ollie can't play in the backyard anymore, cuz if he was off leash he would fuck that stuff up. I can live with that: they are, after all, trying to improve the place. But...
  • They sent me an email saying that they were putting down new grass, and could Ollie piss out front instead of the back? I said "sure," told them that I'd make sure to take him out front for a few days. Don't hear back from them. Go back to occasionally letting Ollie piss/shit in backyard, since obviously we clean up after him and that's what the backyard has always been for.
  • THIS MORNING after I (not yet dressed for the day) take Ollie out for an early morning leak in the backyard the dude downstairs rudely confronts me, says Ollie is ruining the yard, that no dog owner would ever let his dog piss in the backyard because dogs have acid piss (paraphrase) that destroys the lawn, that this is just common sense, everyone knows that, insinuates that I'm too lazy to walk dog. I point out that they leave a cat out back for 8-10 hours a night. He tells me that cat doesn't go to bathroom all night--holds it until he gets back in to use kitty litter. Tells me I know nothing of animals. I'm like "dog was here first. Can we no longer use back yard?" He says of course he can use the yard, as long as he doesn't pee. I kinda shrug a "whatever" at him and wish him a good day, cuz he's much older than me and we have to live together and escalating things seemed like a bad idea. Anyway, polite note that I misunderstood, that they don't want dog pissing in backyard at all, would not have angered me (though I still wouldn't have agreed to it), but rude asshole insinuating that I am the one who is a rude asshole has got my blood boiling.
So, technically whenever there's friction between co-op members we're supposed to get the Membership committee involved, and they can mediate and decide on a course of action. So that's one option. Option two is to let it go and just accommodate the neighbors, but I'm kinda thinking that if I do that the next thing you know they'll have occupied half of my flat. Option three is just to keep letting the dog piss outside and see what happens. But before choosing an option I will just be angry for a bit.
For the cat, take a water bottle with you every time you go to the basement and spritz the cat in the face.

Regarding your dog peeing - your dog gets to pee wherever you want. He was there first, dogs are allowed, he gets to pee. Be prepared to deal with damaged landscaping though.

Regarding the pot - not much you can do if the guy is being a tool other than closing your window.

Regarding the political sign - not sure there's much you can do. Maybe ask the guy to put the sign in his window rather than in your shared yard.

Regarding your dog being afraid of the cat - this one's tough. When an animal is timid, it makes other animals even more aggressive. I have to deal with this between my two cats. Perhaps try going outside with your dog and spritz with the water bottle.

Regarding the painting - WTF. Ask your neighbor when he's planning to finish. That's just...good lord.

You're not overreacting, your neighbor is being a tool. But, at the same time, much of what you're talking about is just different personalities living in the same building/yard.

• Like 1

Matt:

This is a bad situation that will only get worse. Using a contactor from Angie's List is great, another alternative is check to see if there's a local chapter of the AGC and se if there's a member that specializes in this type of work.

Control: 

Yea definitely them.  My advice would be to of course let your dog use the backyard, that is what yards are for.  If he confronts you again just tell him politely to take it up with the board as there is no way you wouldn't win that debate (which I am sure your neighbor knows).  Personally I'd let stuff like the political sign and painting slide since you don't want to pick five fights at the same time and while those things are annoying it isn't as bad as the other things in terms of impacting day to day life. But if the smoke is that bothersome I'd probably start looking for other living options as that does sound a bit shitty.

• Like 1

Saturday was the funeral services for my dear friend Azurae. It was fucking rough, the hardest memorial service I've ever had to go through, and that goes for everyone there, a standing room only crowd. She was so beautiful both inside and out. Two years ago, I was in a dark place and she was there for me, as a light in it that helped keep me sane. And one after one, people told that same story in the church.

After the service, we retired to a bar for a proper wake, where we drank, laughed, and told stories. Oh, and drank. A lot.

Az, me, and our friend Ro were a team at the club we worked at for years, best of friends, and each other's support system. Ro put together a video of pics of Az mixed with shots of the wake. I know it's weird to share this with you all, but fuck it.

Number one, I'm weird. Number two, I feel the need to share her memory, and number three ...I'm stoned.

tl;dr version:  You're boned and this is gonna cost a ton.

Longer:

Slope of the yard has basically fucked your foundation.  It's unlikely to have anything to do with the quarry.  If you were in the shockwave damage zone from them, your neighbors would be damaged as well and you'd all be suing the shit out of the quarry.  So the water has just eaten away at the foundation over the years, and patches suck.  Really, patchwork on foundations are just that, patchwork that will come loose and the damage will start again.  At minimum you're gonna need a pro to fix the foundation where its cracked, possibly a landscaper to fix your lawn slope, and someone to find a way to move the water into the drainage system instead of eroding your concrete and flowing into the house.  

My advise would be to do your homework and research contractors in the area, specifically ones that will do a whole inspection (including making holes in the wall to at least see what's behind it damage wise.  You're going to have to pull it up anyway, and a good contractor will keep the damage minimal in case there's no need to do extra work.  Remember, the more you rip up, the more that needs to be fixed.  Check references, reviews, vette the contractor throughly and make sure its a good, legit one.  There are tons of shit contractors that'll bail after starting or taking some of your money, and you're now on the hook for fixing what he fucked up.  There are whole shows on HGTV and DiY devoted to people having to fix the remenants of shitty contractors.  

But get this done fast.  the longer you wait, the more fucked that crack is gonna get, and the higher chance that something catastrophic will happen.

Thanks for this. I've talked to a couple engineers now. We're going to have to tear back the wall before any come in but I'd like one to come in even before we talk to a well vetted contractor. My wife's part of a facebook group with the county where people suggest contractors and services to one another and vet them that way too so we'll probably cross reference that with angie's list. Then we'll have to take a look at options and what we can afford. Whatever we do, we'll make sure we have a well referenced contractor. 

Control: 

Yea definitely them.  My advice would be to of course let your dog use the backyard, that is what yards are for.  If he confronts you again just tell him politely to take it up with the board as there is no way you wouldn't win that debate (which I am sure your neighbor knows).  Personally I'd let stuff like the political sign and painting slide since you don't want to pick five fights at the same time and while those things are annoying it isn't as bad as the other things in terms of impacting day to day life. But if the smoke is that bothersome I'd probably start looking for other living options as that does sound a bit shitty.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Incidentally, the current president of the co-op is actually my dog-sitter. I floated this to her on the dl and she was so outraged she called all the rest of the membership committee, which was not what I wanted at all--I was trying to avoid escalation--but at least all of them thought that my neighbor's demands were laughable. Same comment from two of them: was he drunk? They were going to "take steps" or something but I walked them back from that for now.

They're now insisting that the dog is allowed to play in the backyard, he just can't piss or shit there. I'm not sure how that would work, honestly. Anyway, I'm in a weird position where I have to choose between communicating with the rude husband or his politely passive-aggressive enabler wife. Not sure which is the better option.

Control: 

Thanks for the responses, guys. Incidentally, the current president of the co-op is actually my dog-sitter. I floated this to her on the dl and she was so outraged she called all the rest of the membership committee, which was not what I wanted at all--I was trying to avoid escalation--but at least all of them thought that my neighbor's demands were laughable. Same comment from two of them: was he drunk? They were going to "take steps" or something but I walked them back from that for now.

They're now insisting that the dog is allowed to play in the backyard, he just can't piss or shit there. I'm not sure how that would work, honestly. Anyway, I'm in a weird position where I have to choose between communicating with the rude husband or his politely passive-aggressive enabler wife. Not sure which is the better option.

Just (politely) let them know you've already spoken to the co-op, you have their backing, and if you agree to keep the dog from doing it's business in the backyard, they should be willing to blaze somewhere else, and finish the painting.  If not, let the (co-op) dogs loose.

That moment when you finally have the courage to tell someone special how you really feel, and it doesn't go like you wanted too. Soul crushing guys, completely soul crushing.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Hurts like hell but now you can move on to whatever's next without worrying about what-if scenarios.

• Like 1

SET LOOSE THE DOGS OF WAR!!!

Control: 

That moment when you finally have the courage to tell someone special how you really feel, and it doesn't go like you wanted too. Soul crushing guys, completely soul crushing.

Been there, my man. It sucks, but it will eventually get better.

Johnny, I watched that video of your friend. A shame that she's gone with so much life left to live. Good to hear you and the rest of your group had a good time remembering her.

Edited by Dewar

The words "control" and "cat" should never appear in the same sentence. I do believe that the guy has a cat that won't go outside as one of ours (15 year old  Dr. Nikola) will always come inside to use the litter box and then go back out to whatever it was he was doing. Cats is funny critters.

Johnny: I just now looked at your post. I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm happy that you guys were able to celebrate her life.

The words "control" and "cat" should never appear in the same sentence. I do believe that the guy has a cat that won't go outside as one of ours (15 year old  Dr. Nikola) will always come inside to use the litter box and then go back out to whatever it was he was doing. Cats is funny critters.

Does it last 8-10 hours? Cuz that's what we're talking about here. Not that that's really the sticking point--it's just kind of a funny aside. I found even more laughable his claim that no dog owners allow their dogs to piss or shit in their own backyard. WTF? While I'm sure there are some who don't, I haven't met any.

So I'm finishing up my shift, and the last thing I do before I lock the doors is bring the first extinguishers inside (so they don't get stolen or vandalised at night when nobody's there). Only someone's already vandalised one of them by pulling the locking bolt out of the handle (which I don't know). I'm just wrestling them through the doorway (there's four extinguishers, two on two stands with wheels) and somehow the trigger/handle catches on the doorframe, there's a massive loud hiss and suddenly I'm standing in a cloud of thick pink fog.

That's ninety minutes ago. My mouth is really dry now.

So it looks very likely my mother and stepfather are being utterly ripped off by a moving company.

They fucked up by not googling the reviews of the company, but fuck. Two days late to move them, still haven't shown up. Supposed to have been out of their apartment tonight, luckily the landlord is a decent human being. Quick check of the reviews, and this company (American Moving Services in Colorado, not to be confused with the one of the same name and glowing reviews from Maryland) is apparently notorious for charging way over the estimate, showing up days or even weeks late to move people out, being even later delivering, and damaging items.

Fuck on a stick.

And their furniture has been located. In a warehouse. In Aurora, Colorado. By the Colorado Bureau of Investigators.

This isn't going well.

I was always lead to believe cat piss and shit is way worse than a dogs. But that could be an old wives tell told to me as a kid.

Indoors, cat is waaaaaaay worse than dog. The smell from cat pee simply does not go away.

Outdoors, dog is worse than cat. Dog mess kills grass, cat mess doesn't (as much).

• Like 1

Not to ne pedantic about poop, but the reason you don't see lawn damage from cat pee or poop is because they don't like to go in the grass, they prefer dirt where they can bury their mess.

When your cat is making digging motions by their food dish what they are essentially saying is "This is shit and it should be buried."

• Like 1