DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2024

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

be honest I treated ROH for the longest time as just another AEW show though a lot more self-contained.  It's Dark but with titles/purpose and better matche

Oh yeah dude, no argument from me - I've finally begun tuning in from time to time (though not as regularly as the YT shows) and thoroughly enjoyed the two tapings I was at Collision for - its definitely cool as a "Jimmy Hart does whatever on Saturday Night" side-thing. I only mentioned it to say that if the plan were ever to eventually do a standalone ROH, I could think of very few currently under contract who would be a better 'thematic' fit, IMO - so I just found his release disappointing from that perspective.

• Like 2

Yeah, it was really more of a “what did Gabe do” situation. In truth, we can’t really know what kind of sway Gabe has on hiring, but you can bet someone as petty and vindictive as him would try to keep Page out, if he could.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AEW is coming to Edmonton on March 8th and I have, like, zero idea what is on the card.

I'm probably not going, it's a long ass drive for me and I admit post covid my enthusiasm for large crowds has vanished.

I’m guessing you mean May 8. They actually announced some stuff today. Orange/Trent and Cope/Brody King. Looking forward to both of those. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

He burned Gabe for being a shitty promoter when he was at Evolve - they were supposed to get him a work visa as well and it never happened 

https://411mania.com/wrestling/ethan-page-issues-gabe-sapolsky-evolve-very-unprofessional-childish/

I conducted that interview with Ethan Page. Sad to see he's done with AEW and ROH. Hope he will land on his feet. 

11 hours ago, EVA said:

I think Page’s mega heat with Gabe might keep him out of WWE.

Fightful said two years ago that he rejoined as a member of creative so I doubt he has that much sway. Not nearly enough juice to convince Triple H or Nick Khan not to hire someone, anyway. Might go to shit once Page gets to wherever Gabe is doing creative though - not sure if that’s on NXT or one of the main roster shows though.

Either way he’ll be fine. Sucks that both members of the North are stuck either being a free agent, or a top dog in a little yard.

9 hours ago, Casey said:

Fightful said two years ago that he rejoined as a member of creative so I doubt he has that much sway. Not nearly enough juice to convince Triple H or Nick Khan not to hire someone, anyway. Might go to shit once Page gets to wherever Gabe is doing creative though - not sure if that’s on NXT or one of the main roster shows though.

Either way he’ll be fine. Sucks that both members of the North are stuck either being a free agent, or a top dog in a little yard.

I'm sure creative is a good spot and all, but what happened to turning EVOLVE into NXT-for-NXT after they ran that show on the Network (I think against one of the early AEW shows IIRC)? I remember Paul E coming out and saying it was no longer the ECW Arena, it was now the EVOLVE Arena - figured they had big plans for it

I like Ethan Page. He seems like a real solid dude. But I do think AEW was always a poor fit for him. Like a few other guys, Pillman Jr. for example, NXT seems like the best destination. And then look, as soon as Pillman Jr. goes to NXT, he becomes far more interesting.

The other option for Page is if he has a Cardona-like indy run in him.

Page also made some bad business decisions, like putting his YouTube channel on hold. I noticed he brought it back on recent weeks, but it’s nowhere near as popular as it once was. He had other revenue streams and then he gimped them.

Or let’s put it another way. I’d much rather see him on tv than Karion Kross.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 11:01 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

I feel awful for Ethan.  The guy was getting shredded with the hopes of getting some gold this year.  And he cut a helluva promo on ROH about his title plans and doing it for his daughter which felt felt pretty damn real to me.  He seemed motivated but it sucks they didn't have anything for him.  I mean I practically forgot Kyle Fletcher is the TV champ but you couldn't have had Page at least make a run towards a title match to see how people like it?  If it worked out then great but if not then yeah I guess that's for him but they could have at least tried.  Instead he meandered around after MOTY so unless something fucked up happened I feel bad for him.

That said WWE would be a good place if he gets in but I'm not sure how far he'd go.  Now an indy run where he goes back to pyscho mode nuking fools in revenge for the release would be fun to see.  I liked when he would do that and it was great in the Darby feud.

We differ on the quality of Page's ROH promos, but he was definitely putting the time in for his physique. Apparently, the Fletcher bout was delayed and cut due to visa issues. The word going around a year or so ago was WWE was interested in him (Fightful? WO?). 

22 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

To be honest I treated ROH for the longest time as just another AEW show though a lot more self-contained.  It's Dark but with titles/purpose and better matches.  I know that sounds dismissive but I love everything about it.  If anything it led to me enjoying the shows a lot more as I'm paying attention to things I would have glossed over.  I figure if they're not losing much money and people are checking the shows (which at least live they are and seem to get into) then no harm no foul.  And hey I'm still streaming them on Thursdays on Discord whether people watch it or not so it could be worth a look if y'all are curious.  And I would even be down for giving a monthly ROH report in the AEW thread for those not watching or paying attention to the ROH thread.

I also cringe when somebody says TK buying them was a mistake.  It was a drop in the bucket for him and it keeps ROH alive for old and new fans.  Plus it gives wrestlers another chance to get some reps in.  Doesn't sound like a mistake to me.  Now I do understand if people expected a lot more to come out of this but honestly I think it's already paid off for them.

As a regular enough viewer I'm not quite seeing a show better than Dark these days. The titles and purpose is a good call concerning the Women's Division, but questionable on the Men's side. Title holders seem to make rare appearances, and in the case of the Tag and TV champions - used as enhancement talent on AEW TV. Wheeler Yuta's been the Pure Champion without a defense, or word of his existence, since 5 months ago. The booking feels, to be kind, listless. I look at this show regularly and wonder how much time Garrison, Karter, Lee Johnson, the Infantry, etc. need before recongnizing they might not be worth sinking time and money into developing. I could and hope to be wrong on any one of them. I love ROH providing reps, both in ring and on the mic, but very much welcome a roster refresh (on the Men's side). 

I get what you're saying on the 'buying mistake' comment, and probably share many similar opinions, but thus far there's been plenty of good reasons to question the choice of buying ROH and running it in this bland manner. At this point too few care to even watch the product let alone question these choices of it's existence.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

I, personally, wish for an all expenses paid trip to Tahiti and a brand new Porsche 911.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I, personally, wish for an all expenses paid trip to Tahiti and a brand new Porsche 911.

How about a trip to Titusville, Florida and an Astrovan that may have doubled as a makeshift meth lab?

• Haha 6

Well, duh 🤪

I really did not expect Kriegshog to come up. I just bought the re-release of their first LP, which is fuckin nuclear. The new one is almost totally different. I'm... not entirely sold on it yet.

And of course, The Chisel is awesome. In another world they would be huge. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

TK Pawn-Star-ish-ly: Hmm, best I can do is Dynamite in Youngstown Ohio.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/4/2024 at 11:19 AM, HarryArchieGus said:

We differ on the quality of Page's ROH promos, but he was definitely putting the time in for his physique. Apparently, the Fletcher bout was delayed and cut due to visa issues. The word going around a year or so ago was WWE was interested in him (Fightful? WO?). 

As a regular enough viewer I'm not quite seeing a show better than Dark these days. The titles and purpose is a good call concerning the Women's Division, but questionable on the Men's side. Title holders seem to make rare appearances, and in the case of the Tag and TV champions - used as enhancement talent on AEW TV. Wheeler Yuta's been the Pure Champion without a defense, or word of his existence, since 5 months ago. The booking feels, to be kind, listless. I look at this show regularly and wonder how much time Garrison, Karter, Lee Johnson, the Infantry, etc. need before recongnizing they might not be worth sinking time and money into developing. I could and hope to be wrong on any one of them. I love ROH providing reps, both in ring and on the mic, but very much welcome a roster refresh (on the Men's side). 

I get what you're saying on the 'buying mistake' comment, and probably share many similar opinions, but thus far there's been plenty of good reasons to question the choice of buying ROH and running it in this bland manner. At this point too few care to even watch the product let alone question these choices of it's existence.

Yutes has been out injured, fwiw. Your general point is well made, however.

For what it's worth, and it's Dave reporting this, so "not much"...  Sammy Guevara is still suspended for his actions in the Jeff Hardy match in February.  

I fully expect him to show up on tomorrow's Dynamite as the new SVP of HR or something. 

• Like 1

Just caught a glimpse of Kyle O'Reilly's Paul Orndorff arm and it's strikingly similar. The interesting thing about Orndorff's arm is that if you know what to look for, the early symptoms can be seen as early as '84 (if not earlier), so he must have had those neck issues WAY before the Hogan feud!

I'll just put this out in the universe, but wouldn't Will Ospreay vs PAC for the International Title be a match that should happen at a suitable event? Whatever that may be?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

I'll just put this out in the universe, but wouldn't Will Ospreay vs PAC for the International Title be a match that should happen at a suitable event? Whatever that may be?

I like the idea of PAC reclaiming the International title- I really enjoyed his run of overseas defenses being shown on Dark, and you've got a built in story with him and that belt.

I would add a bit of a wrinkle to your idea: after Ospreay takes the International title off Roderick Strong at DoN, I would have him face off against Okada at Forbidden Door to unify with the Continental title first. Then your PAC/Ospreay match at All In is for the new Intercontinental title - just to give everyone a nice, warm, fuzzy Bret/Bulldog feeling.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I like the idea of PAC reclaiming the International title- I really enjoyed his run of overseas defenses being shown on Dark, and you've got a built in story with him and that belt.

I would add a bit of a wrinkle to your idea: after Ospreay takes the International title off Roderick Strong at DoN, I would have him face off against Okada at Forbidden Door to unify with the Continental title first. Then your PAC/Ospreay match at All In is for the new Intercontinental title - just to give everyone a nice, warm, fuzzy Bret/Bulldog feeling.

I'll take it!

• Like 1