DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 4/17 - 4/23/2024 - Spare the Rod, Spoil the Kyle

12 hours ago, porksweats said:

Sydal is also ready and willing to replace anyone in a face storyline (see his insertion into Top Flight)

To be fair, he's been doing that since he was Evan Bourne back in the E. Need a smiling babyface to fill a gap? He's your guy!

• Like 3

I'm glad that they put RVD in a spotty 4-way elimination match instead of tying him to the HOOK stuff by "giving" us Jericho vs RVD in 2024 as a rematch from their match that Jericho got pissy about on the internet all those years ago for people not liking it as much as he thought they should.

Also, Emi vs Yuka on Rampage should be delightful.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm glad that they put RVD in a spotty 4-way elimination match instead of tying him to the HOOK stuff by "giving" us Jericho vs RVD in 2024 as a rematch from their match that Jericho got pissy about on the internet all those years ago for people not liking it as much as he thought they should.

Chris Jericho vs. Rob Van Dam, King of the Ring 2002. Still remember that outburst.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

Remember the good old days when Mrs. Jericho's worst offense was getting pissy on the internet instead of, you know, trying to overthrow democracy?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, caley said:

But got a middling reaction because of one of my most hated of wrestling tropes: the babyface announcing a big match...next week...somewhere else. 

It makes perfect sense when a heel does it ("I'm not giving this away in front of you rubes!" "Like I'd wrestle in [insert town name here]!" etc. etc.), but when a babyface, like Mox, says "I'm going to wrestle Will Hobbs [Yay!]...next week in Jacksonville!" why would the crowd cheer for it?! WWE does this too, but AEW does it all the time: 

Hot Crowd: We love you!

AEW Face: I'm going to defend my title...

Hotter Crowd: Yes!

AEW Face: ...next week...

Lukewarm Crowd: Wait what?!

AEW Face: ...somewhere other than here!

Deflated Crowd: But...why not here?!

AEW Face: See ya later, I'm done for the night

AEW: Coming up next...Chris Jericho hosts a symposium with Hook

Dead Crowd: Oh...goody

You could hear a pin drop after he said “next week”

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, EVA said:

Agreed, baby faces should *only* ever make challenges for RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW, LET’S DO THIS.

Or telling said foe 'I'm coming', and let the reply or match graphic later tell us 'it is happening'. In general, AEW could use to improve the timing of their match announcements. The turnaround of match graphics featuring two or more ppl that have immediately before said graphic been in a scrum is a bit ridiculous. Go to Renee for the update. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Or telling said foe 'I'm coming', and let the reply or match graphic later tell us 'it is happening'. In general, AEW could use to improve the timing of their match announcements. The turnaround of match graphics featuring two or more ppl that have immediately before said graphic been in a scrum is a bit ridiculous. Go to Renee for the update. 

I agree, there's been way, way too little turnaround lately on the ol' "Tony Khan has made it official!" - I'd like to see them hold those graphics back until the usual Excalibur pre-main event card rundown for the weekend shows and the next week.

The classic play is for the face to say "We don't have to wait, we can do this right here, right now in Cheap Pop City!", and then the heel (or heel manager) says "We're not doing this match in Cheap Pop City, we're doing it down the line. Cheap Pop City doesn't deserve it, because Cheap Pop City sucks!".

• Like 7

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The turnaround of match graphics featuring two or more ppl that have immediately before said graphic been in a scrum is a bit ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'd like to see them hold those graphics back until the usual Excalibur pre-main event card rundown for the weekend shows and the next week.

It's been theorized here that the AEW graphics department works like newspapers do for celebs and politicians.  They have every conceivable graphic already done and ready to go.  Let's just consider that canon.

"Hey Bob, it sounds like they're booking Orange Cassidy vs Tetsuya Naito vs Hoodfoot in a Punjabi Prison Match."  "Aw man, I made that one last week.  Challenge me next time!"

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

It's been theorized here that the AEW graphics department works like newspapers do for celebs and politicians.  They have every conceivable graphic already done and ready to go.  Let's just consider that canon.

"Hey Bob, it sounds like they're booking Orange Cassidy vs Tetsuya Naito vs Hoodfoot in a Punjabi Prison Match."  "Aw man, I made that one last week.  Challenge me next time!"

Paul: "Prior preparation prevents poor performance."

Check that alliteration out. Try saying that five times quickly ;).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Matt D said:

classic.  I think he felt redeemed by their last match from 2013 when they randomly went 20+ in the main event of RAW

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JLowe said:

You could hear a pin drop after he said “next week”

Well, they could be like "Yay, I get to see it from my own couch, like it was meant to be!", but I guess not?

As for rest of Dynamite, Young Bucks bumping the FTR video package due to "time constraints" because The Elite had a match next anyway, as well as Matthew micro-managing the commentary was dick-move brilliance, once again. As far as the trios match went, it's so funny to see PAC in almost any setting running circles around everyone else, to the point where it's like "it's kinda unfair that anyone should have to face this cyborg with a malfunctioning compassion chip in the ring". He can lose most of the time and still be about the most credible opponent for pretty much anyone.

OC having no friends to combat STP ended up badly for him, despite getting the win.

Ospreay vs Claudio was super, but what else could happen? Ospreay not being on the same page with the rest of the Callis Family was obvious to anyone, except for Callis, who is really grasping at straws at this point. Ospreay has no need for you and I'm pretty sure this will come to a head at Dynasty.

Damn, Nana almost played the part of Paul Heyman, if it wasn't for Swerve's last second save. It sure feels like Swerve may indeed take it at the PPV, or we may be in for a big swer... er, surprise. I don't like putting this into the universe, but Hangman or Keith Lee could still be waiting in the wings to ruin things for him... let's hope not.

Edited by Shartnado
Actual Dynamite thoughts...
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Technico Support said:

"It is with great sadness that we announce former International Champion Orange Cassidy has been mauled by wolves."

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

"It is with great sadness that we announce former International Champion Orange Cassidy has been mauled by wolves."

"Reports are, he was 'delicious.'"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

21 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

"Reports are, he was 'delicious.'"

https://keyassets-p2.timeincuk.net/wp/prod/wp-content/uploads/sites/30/2017/06/Wolf-Gladiators-port-.jpg

On 4/19/2024 at 1:37 PM, EVA said:

Agreed, baby faces should *only* ever make challenges for RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW, LET’S DO THIS.

You could have saved it by saying Hobbs didn't bother showing up to work, or Callis made sure Hobbs wouldn't be here knowing what would happen to his meal ticket.