DVDVR Message Board

April 2024 Wrestling Talk

Sounds like prospectors combing the land for gold deposits in the wild west. "Hey, I heard there's money to be made in Boston, time to pick up stakes and move."

Judging from the talk Jon Stewart had with an FTC rep on The Daily Show on Monday, I have serious doubts as to their level of power in this country anymore.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

Sounds like prospectors combing the land for gold deposits in the wild west. 

Judging from the talk Jon Stewart had with an FTC rep on The Daily Show on Monday, I have serious doubts as to their level of power in this country anymore.

I've had to write a few things on the FTC and its oversight on mergers/acquisitions. They do a lot with the resources they have. There has been an increase in the amount of anti-trust challenges under Biden, and a lot of other changes that make it more difficult for these to proceed. There are new rules proposed and being considered (and some in place already) to increase their oversight but there are people fighting these rules in the eternal push/pull over how much our government should regulate business. There probably should be a lot more. But, especially under the Biden Administration, there has been a huge push to increase oversight.

The SEC governs different things. But they put through a lot of rules about what I write about that resulted in what a lot of people called the most significant changes to the government's regulatory power over the US financial industry since Dodd-Frank. (That's the laws put in place after the 2008 financial crisis.) And the rules Biden put in place were also watered down from what they were originally asking for. 

There's a lot more we should do. There are a lot of people really pushing for stricter anti-trust concerns -- Bernie and Elizabeth Warren come to mind, but probably the person most effective in highlighting the issue is Amy Klobuchar. 

I'll check out the Jon Stewart thing either. That crosses all of my paths since I write about this stuff and was/am also a stand-up coming. 

• Like 2

Thanks @Greggulator, I appreciate the perspective. I don't want to get into it too much but I work on the other end of the financialized housing system, dealing with the fallout at ground level so to speak, and it just sucks that to fund some peoples' retirement we have to ruin others'

Edit: Huh it didn't tag right

Edited by Godfrey
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, hammerva said:

So who had Drew Gulak accused of sexual harassment on their 2024 bingo card?  According to Ronda Rousey,  Drew grabbed the strings on her sweatpants.   

His completely serious defense is that he went to shake hands with her and his hand got caught on the string of her pants.

That's like that time I tripped and fell ass first right onto a dick.  It happens.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

His completely serious defense is that we went to shake hands with her and his hand got caught on the string of her pants.

That's like that time I tripped and fell ass first right onto a dick.  It happens.

I see you've never been in a sauna while drunk, mister judgmental. 

• Haha 7

All of this pension talk makes me realize what a unicorn I am in the modern age, having being employed at two private-sector companies (including my current one) that offered a pension plan. I say "offered", because both ended enrollment in the plan to new employees and just kept the legacy folks in there.

And my current employer is as solid as they go - a private monopoly that can never be leveraged/sold/merged. I look at the projected "if you stay here until 65, your benefit is:" page on the pension site every month like an obsessive recluse. At my advanced age, I just need to grimly hold onto my current job for another dozen years, and take the lump sum distribution. I'll be one of those jerks from my grandparents' generation - not well-off, but with plenty of non-perishable goods in the bomb shelter.

• Like 1

There is a scenario where I see Gulak's point of view. Granted, it's in the fictional "Curb Your Enthusiasm" universe.

• Haha 2

Every time I see GodzillaPerez'z sig, I think two things:

1. John Nord should have had a better career
  2. That might be the best opening to a wrestling match ever (runner-up is the baseball slide out of the darkness that Owen Hart hits on Waltman at KotR '94)

On another note, Ronda Rousey being the one to air out all of these wrestling weirdos in the modern WWE was not on my bingo card, but I'm here for it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SirSmUgly said:

I see you've never been in a sauna while drunk, mister judgmental. 

There are times, when you have tons of experience on the issue that is being discussed and at the same time find yourself thinking: "Wait a minute, have I been doing this all wrong somehow? ALL this time?!?"

if I were an on-screen wrestling persona, I'd wonder how many segments I could get out of knocking off Joe Flaherty's Guy Caballero character until enough people figured out what was going on

now, i'm still pretty tired of on-screen authority figures but I could embrace the idea of someone falsely claiming to be an authority figure

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wasn't that Drew McIntryre's gimmick in his first WWE run? When Teddy Long would book him like a midcarder, and then he'd show up with a letter (he claimed was from) Vince, saying to put him in the main event instead?

How mutually exclusive are we allowing "Drew Gulak: Sex Pest" and "victims of school shootings are crisis actors" to be?

21 hours ago, Technico Support said:

His completely serious defense is that he went to shake hands with her and his hand got caught on the string of her pants.

That reminds me of a classmate in school who accidentally grabbed a teacher by her tits. It went something like we was walking around a right corner, for whatever reason had his hands up and was talking (and looking) to a colleague on his left side. Obviously the teacher was also walking around that corner in the other direction. From what I got the guy (who was around 15-16 from what I remember) was really embarrassed while the teacher (who from what I remember was pretty young and good looking - just to paint a picture) took it cool (because it was obvious that it was not on purpose).

On the other hand, how is anyone expected to take a move or strike from Gulak if he can't even hit a stationary target like a hand. Or is he also used to thigh slapping that he even wants to do that when shacking somebody's hand?

• Haha 2

On 4/2/2024 at 9:20 PM, Greggulator said:

This is what I write about professionally. I am sleep deprived so bare with me if I mix anything up.

You mixed up "bare" and "bear".:)

But seriously, many thanks for this and your subsequent posts. Your explanations on subjects like this are always engaging and informative.

8 hours ago, AxB said:

Wasn't that Drew McIntryre's gimmick in his first WWE run? When Teddy Long would book him like a midcarder, and then he'd show up with a letter (he claimed was from) Vince, saying to put him in the main event instead?

I was thinking more like "person falsely claiming he could book other people into matches" than "person claiming to be the bosses favorite"

maybe Ronnie P. Gossett showing up claiming to be the new announcer in Memphis comes to mind here too

On 4/3/2024 at 1:11 PM, Technico Support said:

yeah his defense is a lot worse than the time that I was playing a form of hockey in a gym floor on a basketball court, and I kept swinging my stick into other people's hands

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GodzillaPerez said:

There is a scenario where I see Gulak's point of view. Granted, it's in the fictional "Curb Your Enthusiasm" universe.

He’s probably also a floor fucker

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Not complete without the CYE theme

https://youtu.be/Ag1o3koTLWM?si=3ujRxX_s_55WgeGR

Looool that’s my ringtone

• Haha 1