DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APRIL 2024

Topic will be automatically locked at 03:59 AM

5 hours ago, Ziggy said:

choking out someone 

Nobody was choked OUT. If you're choked out, you're unconscious. Attempting to apply a hold that could be a choke is not the same as choking someone out.

• Like 2

Eh...it can be applied either way. Choking someone out is more or less slang especially in America whereas knockdown and knockout are official terms. Also, I guarantee if you choke someone enough and they don't go out, they're still going to be a bit disoriented. I don't use it personally but it's liberally applied cause it's not officially a thing. 

12 hours ago, Octopus said:

I’m done with AEW for a bit. Hit me up with uploads of a good Danielson match and I’ll watch match by match basis. Not keeping up to date on stuff for the time being. 

After my sabbatical I’m ready to watch AEW again.

• Haha 7

Stardom head: “Coach Tony, a group of our workers will be in the US for Wrestlemania and NJPW in April. We know you love working with Japanese companies and have some of our former gaijin stars. Would you like some of our women to be on your shows?”

Tony: “Absolutely, I’ve been wanting to make this happen for a few years!!! Now let me see where we have our shows that week...West Virginia...(deep sigh)...Kentucky...(deeper sigh)...fuck it, our TV fans will care at least”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I believe AEW firing CM Punk was the correct decision. He clearly didn't want to be there, and his presence backstage was a problem. And frankly, I think Tony Khan announcing his termination and doing it live in front of the fans in Chicago right before All Out was also a gutsy move. He went in front of a hostile pro-Punk crowd and laid the whole thing out, and I think that was the best way to address it at the time. Otherwise, the fans could've hijacked and ruined the whole show. Khan addressing it right then basically nipped it in the bud and let the fans get out all their aggression and disappointment about Punk right then.

That should've been the end of it.

Wrestling fans being what they are are never going to let this go. This is going to continue being a story 25 years from now just like the Montreal Screwjob. You will have this side going with this side, this side going with that side. However, AEW dredging this up again when almost everyone wants to move on did not help. Tony Khan is clearly taking Punk going back to WWE personally. He's taking that Helwani interview personally and it shows. Khan letting everyone know he's shaken by all this and letting it affect his product is a waste of time. 

AEW used to be the shiny new toy and internet darling. That period is over, and Tony Khan can't stand it.

• Like 6

8 remaining PPV dates and locations announced. The Natural will be happy that 3 are on Saturdays

Sunday, April 21: Dynasty (St. Louis, Missouri)

Sunday, May 26: Double or Nothing (Las Vegas, Nevada)

Sunday, June 30: Forbidden Door (Long Island, New York)

Sunday, August 25: All In London (London, England)

Sunday, September 1: All Out (Chicago, Illinois)

Saturday, October 12: WrestleDream (Tacoma, Washington)

Saturday, November 23: Full Gear (Newark, New Jersey)

Saturday, December 28: Worlds End (Orlando, Florida)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

8 remaining PPV dates and locations announced. The Natural will be happy that 3 are on Saturdays

There is nothing about Lakes in here..

On 4/10/2024 at 1:47 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

I don't really recall ROH having particularly good music.

“Miseria Cantare” for Punk, “The Champ is Here” for Joe, “Personal Jesus” for Aries. “Gimme Back my Bullets” for the Briscoes.

”Copacabana”, “The Final Countdown” obviously. Jack Evans theme was pretty good. The Embassy theme kicked ass too.

• Like 5

I'm not sure if it's the early aughts DV consumer grade camera audio or Gabe in a basement blabbing over top, but regardless of any songs I might like, I'd prefer a little cut up video of the entrances with legal music underneath. Then a cut to either before the bell or prior to the introductions. The silent entrances featured on Honorclub are ridiculously bad.

• Like 1

Per his appearance on the Unleashed show, Brian Cage will continue to not get tested for HGH wrestle for AEW:

GK-RvedW4AApMuO?format=jpg&name=medium

• Haha 3

Cage has been a pretty solid utility guy for the last few years so I have no problem with that. There's a lot by the people I would cut before him and he is far from my favorite dude named Brian or Cage. 

• Like 4

Wouldn't it be funny if it came out that Schiavone was fine with showing the video, and just looked disgusted because his character is disgusted by heels doing heel things?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, AxB said:

Wouldn't it be funny if it came out that Schiavone was fine with showing the video, and just looked disgusted because his character is disgusted by heels doing heel things?

I have it on my bingo card. 

Meltzer said that was the case, so you get that section on your bingo card.

But he’s also saying there were loud Fuck CM Punk chants the moment Perry got shoved in the video, and I’ve watched a few in-arena videos at this point and all I hear are loud chants for Punk. So, like… I dunno. You’d think a guy who has an online only business and has a live YouTube show would be able to use that platform to verify, but…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

What does it matter if there were loud **** CM Punk chants? That doesn’t make this show less of a dumpster fire. It’s a weak attempt at a defense by Meltzer for something he knows was garbage.

On 4/11/2024 at 10:59 AM, JLowe said:

Now let me see where we have our shows that week...West Virginia...(deep sigh)...Kentucky...(deeper sigh)...fuck it, our TV fans will care at least”

To be fair, Highland Heights, KY is a suburb of Cincinnati. Truist Arena is on the campus of Northern Kentucky University, and is maybe a 15min drive down I-471 from the central business dirstrict.  Probably actually closer to the airport than downtown.

So, it isn't like this show is in the middle of a corn field. It is is the newest and fourth largest arena in the Tri-state area!

• Like 3