DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APRIL 2024

56 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Now that said, the only thing I would disagree with is paying any type of fine. On that, I would tell them to fuck off because AEW didn't try to sneak it by you. Yes, commission forms are commission forms. However, it ain't drug testing. The promotion knew they had a trans wrestler. You know who also knew? Literally everybody who follows pro wrestling.  They didn't sneak it by you. So yeah, you weren't paying attention. Thus, that doesn't justify any punishment. 

Yeah I was mid-tangent and my wording went all to heck so thank you for saying this, I meant that if Oklahoma was going to fine Nyla, TK should pay it, but I'm very much in favor of not paying it whatsoever because it's a bullshit sanction for a bullshit rule from a bullshit commission full of bullshit grifters.

State commissions don't do a damn thing for wrestlers aside from take their fees each month and a cut of each show's gate. If all they're there for is to collect a cut and do nothing else, get rid of them, especially when they're doing nonsense like this.

• Like 9

Totally understood.

I mean I am not completely anti government regulation. It pretty much saved MMA in the United States (positive or negative depending on where you sit on the fence). It also has saved a few lives when abnormalities came up on blood work and brain scans. It also gave the boxing world one of the most hilarious fight card cancelations back in 1998 when the Holyfield vs. Henry Akinwande card was called off in New York cause Akinwande came up as Hep B positive, a fighter on the card was 21 weeks pregnant, and Ray Mercer couldn't get medically cleared. So the world was spared a 36 minute clinch fest stinker.

However, stuff like that is few and far between. When it comes to pro wrestling, usually it's something like Chris Cruise being an utter rat and snitching to the Maryland commission over blood. Nothing that can be considered halfway useful. 

We've got to keep level heads and look at all sides here. Who's to say this isn't a huge misunderstanding, and that the Oklahoma republicans weren't simply opressing Nyla for being Native American?

• Haha 7

58 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

We've got to keep level heads and look at all sides here. Who's to say this isn't a huge misunderstanding, and that the Oklahoma republicans weren't simply opressing Nyla for being Native American?

She's biracial, so they get a 2 for 1 on their oppression scorecards.  If they fill the scorecard, they get a free sandwich from Mission BBQ.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Logan Knight (an Oklahoma-based LGTBQ+ wrestler) is taking action against the Athletic Commision:

https://twitter.com/LoganKnightPro/status/1781062546914423102

Specifically, he's campaigning to get Native American land in the state exemption from Commission oversight. And he wants people who agree with him on this issue to let the OKC know about it by emailing [email protected]

• Like 3

If this happens, that might be a way for TK to get back, and having Nyla main event on that show would be a double win.

Just host it outdoors on a reservation.  Make it a special episode of Collision.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

If this happens, that might be a way for TK to get back, and having Nyla main event on that show would be a double win.

Just host it outdoors on a reservation.  Make it a special episode of Collision.

Out of curiosity, I looked to see what nation Nyla was a member of, and it’s the Oneida, who don’t have a reservation in Oklahoma.

• Like 2

CELEBRATION AT THE RESERVATION. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY I WILL FORGIVE YOU FOR NOT DOING QUAKE BY THE LAKE 2, TONY. NYLA VS TONI. A FLAIR FOR THE GOLD OF THE MODERN AGES AND A FUCK YOU TO BIGOTS EVERYWHERE. THEN SEND THE BCC BACK OVER TO THE STATE TO DO ELBOWS TO THE ATHLETIC COMMISSION’S NECK/SHOULDER AREA. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

I'm not saying this to aim at you or anything, but there are people going "don't they know it's not a real sport?!", and it ignores the simple fact that they don't want LGBTQ folks (and ESPECIALLY trans folks) to be involved in any aspect of life whatsoever. Real sports, fake sports, teaching in schools, working in a job - literally any job - they don't care.

I can go into dozens upon dozens of explanations as to why the physiological arguments don't line up and they'll just go "hurr durr durr chromosomes" or "hurr durr durr protect women" because they don't care about any of it. It's buzz word salad because they want us gone.

You're completely right about their motivations, of course, but I don't think that makes comments about how they don't know wrestling is fake off-topic or anything, because they illustrate how stupid these people are willing to be to pursue their agenda.

I mean, their press release explicitly stated that Nyla Rose competed against a cis woman, when of course nothing of the sort occurred. What happened was that Nyla Rose put on a performance in co-operation with a cis woman. I'm pretty sure these asshats haven't found an excuse to make that illegal, even in Oklahoma.

And yes, the actual arguments they use are irrelevant to them. But they're not irrelevant to the large number of people out there who are neither motivated by a desire to see trans people wiped out nor fully onboard with trans rights. Which is why I think it's reasonable to point out that the argument they're using implies they're either stupid enough to think wrestling is real or duplicitous enough to pretend it is.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

You're completely right about their motivations, of course, but I don't think that makes comments about how they don't know wrestling is fake off-topic or anything, because they illustrate how stupid these people are willing to be to pursue their agenda.

I mean, their press release explicitly stated that Nyla Rose competed against a cis woman, when of course nothing of the sort occurred. What happened was that Nyla Rose put on a performance in co-operation with a cis woman. I'm pretty sure these asshats haven't found an excuse to make that illegal, even in Oklahoma.

And yes, the actual arguments they use are irrelevant to them. But they're not irrelevant to the large number of people out there who are neither motivated by a desire to see trans people wiped out nor fully onboard with trans rights. Which is why I think it's reasonable to point out that the argument they're using implies they're either stupid enough to think wrestling is real or duplicitous enough to pretend it is.

Trust me, I've been dealing with this sort of stuff for a long time. I know what I'm working with here. They're doing two things.

1) Rallying up support to stop trans people from competing in legitimate sports, because frankly there isn't enough of us who actually compete in legitimate sports to beat the drum with nearly as much intensity as they do. (See my earlier post about how the state of Ohio only having one trans athlete in all of high school sports as they attempted to stop the supposed swarm of trans athletes).

2) Getting people to delegitimize the complaint, because when people go "it's just pro wrestling, it's all fake", they can respond "well, you don't care about real women, that's why you don't think this is a big deal! We're trying to protect real women! Blah blah bloo!" like we'll get our trans cooties on them or turn them into newts or whatever.

It's not that they're too stupid to get that there was no legitimate competition in play. It's that they're trying to delegitimize the argument entirely. The argument people should be having isn't "it's a fake sport, so what", it's "trans people are actual human beings who should be able to participate in sports anyway if they want to, and most of them don't unless it's to hang out with their friends, leave these people alone you utter creeps".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

mean I am not completely anti government regulation. I

I'm glad you touched on this - not to sound like one of those nutcases with the fake license plates, but taking the prejudice out of the equation for a moment, it just seems like massive government overreach to tell ANYONE when and where they can work if it's against the employer's wishes. (Or I guess "Contractor" in this case, since it's wrestling). Like, I don't think it would be right for the state to tell someone "Hey, you can't pump gas at the Tiger Mart in Tulsa" either. It's not like she's a felon or has some kind of 'crime of dishonesty' that precludes her from having the privilege to earn a living publicly - it's the state doing this shit, not the business itself (like, AEW isn't sitting there going "We refuse to bake a cake for two women" you know what I mean? She's a former world champion FFS). Imagine hiring her to paint your house, and some dudes with badges show up and pull her off the ladder - people would lose their fucking minds.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Like, I don't think it would be right for the state to tell someone "Hey, you can't pump gas at the Tiger Mart in Tulsa" either. It's not like she's a felon or has some kind of 'crime of dishonesty' that precludes her from having the privilege to earn a living publicly - it's the state doing this shit, not the business itself (like, AEW isn't sitting there going "We refuse to bake a cake for two women" you know what I mean? She's a former world champion FFS). Imagine hiring her to paint your house, and some dudes with badges show up and pull her off the ladder - people would lose their fucking minds.

Guess where it's still legal to fire someone based on their gender identity.

Go ahead.

Guess.

Ding ding ding Oklahoma doesn't protect you unless you're a direct employee of the government. So in that exact scenario, they can do EXACTLY what you're describing and it's legal.

I know, I know, Wikipedia, but if you wanna be depressed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_employment_discrimination_in_the_United_States

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

31 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Guess where it's still legal to fire someone based on their gender identity.

Go ahead.

Guess.

Ding ding ding Oklahoma doesn't protect you unless you're a direct employee of the government. So in that exact scenario, they can do EXACTLY what you're describing and it's legal.

I know, I know, Wikipedia, but if you wanna be depressed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_employment_discrimination_in_the_United_States

Ah jeez, I feel like a huge jerk now, thank you for the link - I live in the northeast, and forget that despite dealing with a lot of the same idiots spouting the same crap, we really do have it pretty (socially) decent in a lot of ways compared to other regions of the country. I might have kinda "blue state bubbled" myself a bit on that one

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

This whole thing is incredibly awful and I feel horrible for Nyla.  But despite that I'm glad to know she's feeling the love.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3

It's obviously very serious and sensitive subject matter that affects multiple of us on a personal level, but I do have to admit: it kinda tickles me that depending on how this shakes out moving forward, a legitimate court may be forced to issue a decision working with only two options: A) trans women are women, or B) wrestling is a legitimate sport. Going by the state's own internal logic in those minutes, one and only one CAN and MUST be true, right??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

This whole thing is incredibly awful and I feel horrible for Nyla.  But despite that I'm glad to know she's feeling the love.

I've been thinking of Nyla Rose, you and your wife with how lovely Nyla Rose was to the both of you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1