DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/7 - 2/13/2024 - First Come, First Swerved

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I just saw this as well - Fenway would've made sense for a 'huge' announcement given that it would be a hypothetical stadium show, but I don't see this Fleet Center (fuck you TD) show being the announcement unless it's somehow made clear it's for Mercedes (e.g. 'The First Dance' and accompanying Darby 'Even if you're the best in the world' promo). Otherwise, it's just kinda... not that big a deal? I mean, they just ran Blood and Guts in that building not too long ago (which drew like 9K people, pretty damn good considering how many floor seats were eliminated by the two ring set up) it's not like they're debuting in the building/area.

Fuck TD and fuck Fleet, always gonna be the Boston Garden to me!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Coletti said:

Fuck TD and fuck Fleet, always gonna be the Boston Garden to me!

Haha it was more about their poor business practices than the corporate naming rights BS, but I will fully agree here - plus, my old man is a Laker fan anyway, so we always just called it "that shit hole" in our house 🙂

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It would definietly be risky, like when WM was at Metlife Stadium. Imagine what that would have looked like with bad weather. If AEW were to ever run Yankee Stadium, I'd be there in a heartbeat. 

I think if AEW (or WWE) ever asked the Yankees to use the stadium anytime outside of maybe January, I think one of the Steinbrenners would shoot an executive in the face.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I think if AEW (or WWE) ever asked the Yankees to use the stadium anytime outside of maybe January, I think one of the Steinbrenners would shoot an executive in the face.

They hosted a show there in September 2011 with Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax - late season rather than early, but worth mentioning (it was also f'n awesome, I might add).

I'm not 100% sure if it's just for concessions or for everything, but I feel like I recall reading years ago that the Yanks were somehow in bed with the Cowboys as far as whoever runs their stadiums - I have to look into that further, but i mention it just to say that it may not even be a 'team' call at this point.

George would've shot 'em, but I think Hank might at least ask what the payday is first.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

They hosted a show there in September 2011 with Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax - late season rather than early, but worth mentioning (it was also f'n awesome, I might add).

You misspelled "Megadeath".

• Haha 12

38 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm not 100% sure if it's just for concessions or for everything, but I feel like I recall reading years ago that the Yanks were somehow in bed with the Cowboys as far as whoever runs their stadiums - I have to look into that further, but i mention it just to say that it may not even be a 'team' call at this point.

George would've shot 'em, but I think Hank might at least ask what the payday is first.

I saw Roger Waters at New Yankee Stadium in '12. (Incredible show.)  Was literally in tears at the end of this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkT0KWP9FpI&ab_channel=Elwood7519

And the Yankees are indeed in bed with the Cowboys (as are most large stadiums these days).  Jerry Jones owns the company that does the concessions at a large majority of stadiums in North America and it keeps him extraordinarily wealthy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m gonna predict that TK’s big thing is, yeah, the Boston show, but it’ll have a Mercedes Mone vignette attached to it. That’s what the sheets were saying a few weeks ago, that she was filming stuff for AEW. Could be just for her entrance video or whatever, but I think like others have said: they’ve ran that arena before, so you need a little more than just “oh hey MAYBE this woman will be there, buy tickets!”

I’m pretty sure that’s the three hour Dynamite/Rampage on the same night, too. So… yeah.

• Like 2

I mean, the big announcement could literally be Mercedes Mone taking the notecard from Tony to read the announcement herself.

The "Mercedes Mone is joining the Hart Foundation next week on RAW" build to her AEW debut has to end sometime so why not now.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, JLowe said:

As for titles/tournaments, I’m betting next up is women’s tag titles with that being featured on Collision (given that they’ve started running two women’s matches there). They’ve already been selling a Julia Hart-Skye Blue shirt. Also gives Britt something to do.

On one hand, the last fucking thing this company needs is more belts, but, I certainly would give a lot of the women more to do (in theory). Plus they’ve got a lot of them quasi-paired up already anyway. 

Stat/Willow, Saraya/Ruby, Julia/Skye, Tay/Jay, Britt/Hayter, Mercedes/Diamanté, Athena/Billie, Nyla/Marina, etc. Throw in some combo of Shida/Riho/Emi or Red Velvet/Kiera/Leila Grey. Have a monster heel team with Megan Bayne/Kamille if they bring her in. They’ve certainly got plenty of options.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MKERyan said:

On one hand, the last fucking thing this company needs is more belts, but, I certainly would give a lot of the women more to do (in theory). Plus they’ve got a lot of them quasi-paired up already anyway. 

Stat/Willow, Saraya/Ruby, Julia/Skye, Tay/Jay, Britt/Hayter, Mercedes/Diamanté, Athena/Billie, Nyla/Marina, etc. Throw in some combo of Shida/Riho/Emi or Red Velvet/Kiera/Leila Grey. Have a monster heel team with Megan Bayne/Kamille if they bring her in. They’ve certainly got plenty of options.

Could be fun to have Toni and Mariah as well

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MKERyan said:

Holy shit, I want that Bayne/Kamille team so badly now. Nyla/Marina and those two clubberin' in the finals, please.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I wish Kamille would change her name.  I know it's an old reference, but all I hear is Eddie imitating Cosby: "MY WIFE CAAAAAMMMMMMMIIIIIIIIILLLLLLE"

Yo same except I hear Kenan doing Cosby, and not actual Cosby

Edit: Enjoy @InfinitI think you picked a good one (and I mean it this week, dammit)

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

As far as TK’s announcement goes, I’ll also accept a women’s Continental Classic type tournament, which heralds the return of Jamie Hayter and the debut of Mercedes.

But it’s probably just Mercedes and/or the Boston themed show ala the First Dance.

Just this once, I’d have Mercedes come out and spoil the announcement that she’ll be debuting in March. You get the surprise AND you get to announce her debut ahead of time. Like, do a thing where TK is gonna say something and then Mercedes appears. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Hey when does Darby leave to climb Mount Everest?

just curious if they do a tournament to make a “tag team vs Darby/partner” matchup to determine new tag champs after Greensboro

I'm starting to think Darby climbing Everest is going to be like Mox taking that fishing trip. LBVS

Just now, Ramo2653 said:

I'm starting to think Darby climbing Everest is going to be like Mox taking that fishing trip. LBVS

For Darby's sake, I hope he doesn't climb Mt. Everest. 

• Like 1

Dynamite started and ended super strong. I thought Jericho/Takeshita didn't click (Jericho seemed to be having a slower day) but I loved Swerve/Page and the main event. Post-main event was quality wrasslin too.

So we know Sasha will be in Boston, but will two money-themed wrestlers make their debut?

• Like 3