DVDVR Message Board

R-EVOLUTION V - 3/3/2024

Yeah, I've been in a meeting since 8 (thankfully mine didn't involve Goodell) so I didnt get to comment on it yet, but that Sting match was everything I hoped for and more. Just exceeded every wildest expectation. I was super moved by knowing the guy's father just passed, and having his kids in there with him... Special, man. Just really, really special.

• Like 2

In the medial scrum, apparently Darby Allin is planning on climbing Mt Everest at the end of March.   The climbing part doesn't worry me one bit.  It is how the fuck he is going to get off of it that worries me.

• Haha 7

I saw pics of Sting's son in his American Sting gear from the '90s and I was amazed at how much his son looked like him during that time. I wouldn't say no to either of his sons continuing the Sting gimmick (El Hijo del Sting and Sting Jr. if you will) after getting trained somewhere or getting a lot more matches under their belt. If they're decent wrestlers, they would be perfect against Charlie Dempsey and Brogan Finlay in NXT or either of them against Dominik Mysterio in WWE for battle of second generation wrestlers.

4 minutes ago, hammerva said:

In the medial scrum, apparently Darby Allin is planning on climbing Mt Everest at the end of March.   The climbing part doesn't worry me one bit.  It is how the fuck he is going to get off of it that worries me.

He'll just do a Coffin Drop off the mountain.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

The high of a fantastic night of live wrestling is euphoric. Every once in a while in the middle of failed Wardlow pushes and Rock trying to be hip, everything clicks. If you could bottle it we would spend our lives walking on clouds. These are the nights that keep us coming back. Enjoy it and cherish it because these nights just don't come around very often.

AEW has been so snakebit for so long. It felt nice for them to get a win for once and remind us who they are. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Coffin Drop with a parachute! (Anyway, I hope he's grown up some, and that he hurts from his decisions A LOT. Reading the Tweets from his former partner about his abuse was pretty nasty. I'd like to say I'm getting numb to this kinda shit from it happening in my personal life as well as hearing about stuff in the public eye, but nuh-uh, it don't work that way.)

Anyway. I too thought Big Baby Me was gonna cry a bucket over Sting but his elation at the match and trademark tone cut that right off. Started to get misty at the theater part but that only lasted but a moment, surprisingly. 

• Like 2

In defense of Dante Martin, the ring ropes looked loose as hell. Like, in person they looked so loose I was certain someone was going to get hurt.

That PPV, tho! I'd be hard pressed to find a more satisfying farewell match that I can remember.

Also, Eddie vs Danielson was a war!

Roddy vs OC was good, very good, but I didn't care much. Surprised it was clean.

FTR vs BCC ruled, very strong win for BCC in the end, though. Obviously they are number 1 contenders after that.

Women's match was decent. It went about as I thought it would.

Ospreay vs Takeshita was amazing. Loved it. Ospreay vs Fletcher should rock as well.

The title 3-way was very good. Interesting ending.

Main event was insane. Punk can cry another river after that one!

Great stuff. Haven't watched Zero Hour yet.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

That PPV, tho! I'd be hard pressed to find a more satisfying farewell match that I can remember.

Also, Eddie vs Danielson was a war!

Roddy vs OC was good, very good, but I didn't care much. Surprised it was clean.

FTR vs BCC ruled, very strong win for BCC in the end, though. Obviously they are number 1 contenders after that.

Women's match was decent. It went about as I thought it would.

Ospreay vs Takeshita was amazing. Loved it. Ospreay vs Fletcher should rock as well.

The title 3-way was very good. Interesting ending.

Main event was insane. Punk can cry another river after that one!

Great stuff. Haven't watched Zero Hour yet.

The women's tag match from Zero Hour is worth checking out.

The 12 man tag was pretty skippable apart from Jay White's post match promo to announce he's going to be focusing on singles competition again. 

• Thanks 1

Not to get into any Listomania posts, but in terms of "Best final match ever", Combat Toyoda's retirement match, vs Megumi Kudo was pretty awesome. Although having a good final match is a lot easier when you're a great wrestler but retire in the prime of your youth.

Chigusa Nagayo's retirement match in 1989 was good, and so was her 2005 retirement match. But she still has upcoming bookings, so...

• Like 1

Honestly I don't think Sting's send off could have gone much better.

Won't lie, his suprisie AEW debut may have been the last time I genuinely marked out like a little kid, and it's good and right to see him ride off into the sunset as the conquering hero.

• Like 2

The first botch was definitely Dante's fault; he hit his feet on the rope doing a tope suicida. But I mean that happens and thankfully he didn't hit it that hard and stop that short (or just faceplant).

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The first botch was definitely Dante's fault; he hit his feet on the rope doing a tope suicida. But I mean that happens and thankfully he didn't hit it that hard and stop that short (or just faceplant).

Multiple people hit the ropes on topes last night.

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

He’ll sled down using the frozen “Green Boots” guy as his vehicle, like Homer Simpson did with C.W. McAllister.

OgOlrMz2vr1Kcz4iGeA899uXtYA=.gif

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

The high of a fantastic night of live wrestling is euphoric. Every once in a while in the middle of failed Wardlow pushes and Rock trying to be hip, everything clicks. If you could bottle it we would spend our lives walking on clouds. These are the nights that keep us coming back. Enjoy it and cherish it because these nights just don't come around very often.

AEW has been so snakebit for so long. It felt nice for them to get a win for once and remind us who they are. 

And it mostly involved Sting, who had been on the cusp of nights like this so many times for them to be screwed up. Let me tell everybody something - between Sting winning/resolving something the right way on a major ppv, Brett Favre with the ball at Texas Stadium, Kyle Shanahan with the ball in the second half, and Billy the Goat, I was taking Sting winning last.

And to expand on your point further, we watch a sports game and our team can win and unless everything goes perfectly we walk away mad calling is a bad win. Anything bad we can get out of a sports game we find it. In wrestling anything good we can get out of a show we find it. That’s why we want to see guys like Sting bring it to the glory that they deserve. 

• Like 3

I loved this show! Christian v Garcia was an excellent opener. Christian is a true artist, and Garcia is well on his way. Daddy Magic looked like kind of a star making the save - even if he has no business being able to go toe to toe with 'Killswitch'. Kingston v Danielson was spectacular. I loved being locked into this match so much. I never wanted to leave. Also, that post match IG promo posted above was so incredibly thoughtful. I skipped the Scramble (might go back to it), but happy for the Wardlow win. Especially after the back to back strong promos. I wouldn't mind if they never booked another Scramble ever again. I loved OC v Roddy, and the odd return of Kyle O'Reilly. So stoked to see Workhorse Roddy ruling All of the Atlantic. Perfect! FTR v BCC was poetry in motion. 4 pros laying it all on the line for the sake of the Art. Can we have some more? Deonna v Toni was terrific, but I completely expected that crowd reaction. The crowd's reaction seems to be getting more of the attention than the really solid work, and it's a goddamn shame. Please switch the babyface/heel here and run this back. Ospreay v Takeshita was every bit as great as Don Callis told us it would be. Ospreay is a big bright shining star. I hope the match also helps to elevate Takeshita who was pretty equal to Will the Thrill in this incredbile match. Joe v Swerve v Hanger featured good solid action and plenty of dumb triple threat tropes. Hey hey ho ho, one fall to finish rules have got to go! Pre-match Sting video package was well done. Sting/Darby v Bucks was pretty special. What a fanfuckingtastic late career run. What a fanfuckingtastic show!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

Every time I open FB I see another face from Sting’s past doing a cameo, and I even seen where somebody stole a picture of Luger who didn’t look to bad considering he was picture ambushed. The whole show was like a party for everybody’s favorite old man, who had never had a party like that thrown for him and everybody in the world showed up and, the fact that some of them got paid is no different than money having to be spent to get some of the old man’s old friends to his party safely. Meanwhile the younguns at the party did all the grunt work and they did it proud. Such a good night of just…stuff. 

• Like 4

I'm skipping around and have only had time to watch Eddie/Dragon and Orange/Strong but both were good. The crowd was hot for Eddie, as they should be. I'm not a fan of the "you deserve it" attitude but I do feel he deserves the run he's having and hope he feels his hard work in wrestling is paying off in a satisfying manner. 

I couldn't watch DG/Christian because I can't stand Nigel and he was insufferable (to me). 

I am pretty sure you could look at my post history and find something from the early days of AEW where I talk about how much I hate Orange Cassidy. I'm happy to report that my outlook is completely opposite at this point. However, I still feel Strong is a bland good wrestler. KOR looked...well, not great, I'll just say. His shirt was cool though. 

• Like 4

What I caught of last night was mostly really great stuff. Stings last match was a great one to go out on. Everyone worked their asses off and it was pretty great seeing Stings sons involved at the start. Could have done without Flair showing up and taking time but I get that Sting and him have history and it’s probably something Sting wanted. 

Bryan and Kingston was my non-Sting draw and they delivered so well. Just a fantastic all around pro wrestling match and I loved Eddie getting to stand tall. As much as I love that AEW was able to let Sting end his career how he wanted I think my favorite thing about AEW is that Eddie Kingston finally gets to have a run as a star at the national level. He and Danielson might be IMO the two best North American wrestlers of this century and getting to see them work a masterpiece was fantastic. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Log said:

Jesus, man:

Ah, there's the tears.

49 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Please switch the babyface/heel here and run this back.

Yeah, we were talking about that in the chat. Someone who has as hard of a 'resting bitch-face' as Deonna doesn't need to be a good guy for any reason. Plus they just wanna cheer the wacky deluded lady that throws her shoes.

Something that just came to mind that made me really happy was seeing David Crockett last night! They should have put him out there instead of JR. 

• Like 2