DVDVR Message Board

R-EVOLUTION V - 3/3/2024

Back in Greensboro, NC where Sting and Ric Flair had a 45 minute draw at *Show Whose Name We Cannot Legally Mention* for AEW's big Spring fling!   It's Revolution! 

THE CARD~

RETIREMENT, TORNADO TAG MATCH FOR THE AEW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHP - Sting / Darby Allin (c) vs. The Young Bucks (M. Jackson, EVP / N. Jackson, EVP)

THREE WAY MATCH FOR THE AEW CHAMPIONSHIP - Samoa Joe (c) vs. Swerve Strickland vs. Hangman Adam Page

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Timeless Toni Storm (c) vs. Deonna Purrazzo

FOR THE TNT CHAMPIONSHIP - Christian Cage (c) vs. Daniel Garcia

FOR THE INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Orange Cassidy (c) vs. Roderick Strong

FOR THE CONTINENTAL CROWN CHAMPIONSHIP* - Eddie Kingston (c) vs. Bryan Danielson

ALL STAR SCRAMBLE MATCH FOR THE #1 CONTENDERSHIP TO THE AEW CHAMPIONSHIP - Chris Jericho vs. Wardlow vs. Powerhouse Hobbs vs. Lance Archer vs. Hook vs. Brian Cage vs. Magnus vs. Dante Martin

MEAT MADNESS MATCH - Wardlow vs. Powerhouse Hobbs vs. Lance Archer vs. TBA

Will Ospreay vs. Konosuke Takeshita

FTR (Beard / Bald) vs. Blackpool Combat Club (Castagnoli / Moxley)

---

* - Bryan Danielson must shake Eddie Kingston's hand if he loses.

• Like 2

Coach Tony K saw you'd posted the thread, and immediately tweeted this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Man, it is absolutely wild to me that this is the fifth edition of Revolution... time is flying. Not to be all meta and derail the thread before it even gets rolling, but of all PPVs on the calendar, this one is probably my favorite "presentation"-wise every year. Something about the the beautifully simple name, the logo, the fancy stage with the vertical screen, and the Worldwide green as I like to call it, just really f'n works.

And I'm just gonna address this now, and be perfectly honest with myself and you all: Sting is gonna make me cry, full stop

• Like 4

On 2/2/2024 at 8:10 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Hey, Revolution has nothing to do with gambling. So there's another one. 

The theme song for the ppv needs to be “Revolution is my Name”.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2024 at 7:53 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The theme song for the ppv needs to be “Revolution is my Name”.

Excellent call, I will second that big time.

On this note: Sting walked out to Metallica in England, I wonder if they'll mix it up again for his last match. Two of his three WCW themes I believe are still owned by Turner, and the other is stock music. I love his AEW music but come on, how cool would it be to hear Man Called Sting again? At least in a video package - I assume there will be a nice montage with plenty of TNA and NJPW footage, and the requisite "Courtesy of Pro Wrestling Illustrated" still-images from his prime.

• Like 1

It would be a fun piece of booking if Sting starts the match as AEW/Crow Sting, gets “taken out in the back” by the Bucks halfway through, then re-emerges as Man Called Sting for the sprint to the finish. This also works vice-versa. Seems only right.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 4

I can see a world where they debut Ospreay teaming with Jericho and Sammy against the Callis family. This is a pretty ridiculous world but maybe it's the one we live in.

Edit: For what it's worth I'd debut him against Copeland.

Edited by Matt D

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I can see a world where they debut Ospreay teaming with Jericho and Sammy against the Callis family. This is a pretty ridiculous world but maybe it's the one we live in.

Edit: For what it's worth I'd debut him against Copeland.

I'd like to see Osprey vs Copeland but I feel like that would upset their booking plans for Copeland and Christian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I'd like to see Osprey vs Copeland but I feel like that would upset their booking plans for Copeland and Christian.

You could have Copeland come out for his promo on Saturday, start to lean towards being in contention for the TNT title and then do an Ospreay video challenge and run Garcia vs Christian at the PPV. But yeah they'd have to deal with it somehow.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Matt D said:

You could have Copeland come out for his promo on Saturday, start to lean towards being in contention for the TNT title and then do an Ospreay video challenge and run Garcia vs Christian at the PPV. But yeah they'd have to deal with it somehow.

I base this on absolutely nothing but a random trios from months ago, but my gut feeling is that we start seeing Darby team with Edge more regularly once Sting hangs it up - with that, I could see a path to keeping the Christian/Edge issue intact, but contemporaneously pivoting the TNT title to Darby and having him rekindle the Nick Wayne issue - there's also lots of nice tag/trios combinations you could do in a parallel build/singular story that ends with Edge/Christian and Darby/Wayne as singles matches, as opposed to one big tag match.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I base this on absolutely nothing but a random trios from months ago, but my gut feeling is that we start seeing Darby team with Edge more regularly once Sting hangs it up - with that, I could see a path to keeping the Christian/Edge issue intact, but contemporaneously pivoting the TNT title to Darby and having him rekindle the Nick Wayne issue - there's also lots of nice tag/trios combinations you could do in a parallel build/singular story that ends with Edge/Christian and Darby/Wayne as singles matches, as opposed to one big tag match.

Rated R FTR is always on the table too.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Rated R FTR is always on the table too.

Gooood call - and the nice thing there is that you've already got the FTR/Garcia alliance in place, so if they DID end up wanting to go with Garcia/Christian for the title as you mentioned in your post, there's your path right there

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd go with Rated FT-RRRRRRR and work in a pirate gimmick. 

Assuming PCO isn't sitting in a jail in Guadalajara, he could be involved. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Two questions:

• Should Sting/Darby Allin vs. The Young Bucks main event?
  • Who wins?

My answers:

• Yes. Nearly always the main event is for the AEW World Championship but this is Sting's last match. My concern is that AEW shows can go long and burn the crowd out.
  • Sting and Darby Allin. Sting's last match, he goes out on a win as AEW World Tag Team Champion. Belts get vacated and we know Tony Khan loves his tournaments. Unfortunately I think the Young Bucks will defeat Sting/Darby Allin with Sting taking the fall.

One more question:

• Who do you book to win the three way match for the AEW World Championship: Samoa Joe vs. Swerve Strickland vs. Hangman Adam Page?

My answer:

• Samoa Joe. Samoa Joe carries himself as a big bad, he deserves to hold it more than three months. Samoa Joe has an aura, a credibility. Joe can drop the AEW World Championship to Swerve Strickland in a one on one match at AEW Double or Nothing 2024.
  • Like 2

On 2/6/2024 at 11:18 AM, For Great Justice said:

It would be a fun piece of booking if Sting starts the match as AEW/Crow Sting, gets “taken out in the back” by the Bucks halfway through, then re-emerges as Man Called Sting for the sprint to the finish. This also works vice-versa. Seems only right.

I like this but he goes to the back gets a dye job and quick hair cut and BOOM we get one last Surfer Sting is like some will this classic movie ever get released in HD shit for me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm just gonna update with the sure-to-be imminent announcement to the changes to the Retirement Match. 

I'm probably being an idiot here: are there any changes in the shoot besides it now becoming a title bout?

1 hour ago, The Natural said:
  • Should Sting/Darby Allin vs. The Young Bucks main event?
  • Who wins?

In theory, it should main event for all of the reasons you noted. No disagreement here. The only piece of it I have reservations about is length - I'd just really, really hate for the crowd to dump on a tremendous effort if it ends up being a short-yet-chaotic affair (which I think has been a real winning formula for a lot of these Sting tags/trios so far). If Sting feels he can hang for 20 minutes or whatever? Then fuck yeah, go for it.

The winner is the other piece - this is kinda parallel to a conversation I am having with a couple guys in the TV thread right now, but I think whatever the finish is will also dictate card placement to a degree - is it a "send them home happy" affair, or is it a Bucks heat-fest? I completely get the idea of not wanting to fade to black on the heels standing tall over a fallen Sting. I also completely get the idea of Sting wanting to go out on his back if he so desires - Idk that there's a wrong answer or path.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Who do you book to win the three way match for the AEW World Championship: Samoa Joe vs. Swerve Strickland vs. Hangman Adam Page?

This is tough, man. Joe deserves it for a long, long time, but when it comes to Swerve, I've got that voice going "Strike while the iron's hot." Hangman isnt a bad choice by any means, but with how important a story his first title chase was, I'd like him to get it back in a situation that has a little more meat on the bone, narratively speaking. I think going with Swerve here, and having Hangman be driven insane by it (I guess not unsimilar to Timeless Toni's story, but played straight) might be fruitful later on.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm probably being an idiot here: are there any changes in the shoot besides it now becoming a title bout?

In theory, it should main event for all of the reasons you noted. No disagreement here. The only piece of it I have reservations about is length - I'd just really, really hate for the crowd to dump on a tremendous effort if it ends up being a short-yet-chaotic affair (which I think has been a real winning formula for a lot of these Sting tags/trios so far). If Sting feels he can hang for 20 minutes or whatever? Then fuck yeah, go for it.

The winner is the other piece - this is kinda parallel to a conversation I am having with a couple guys in the TV thread right now, but I think whatever the finish is will also dictate card placement to a degree - is it a "send them home happy" affair, or is it a Bucks heat-fest? I completely get the idea of not wanting to fade to black on the heels standing tall over a fallen Sting. I also completely get the idea of Sting wanting to go out on his back if he so desires - Idk that there's a wrong answer or path.

This is tough, man. Joe deserves it for a long, long time, but when it comes to Swerve, I've got that voice going "Strike while the iron's hot." Hangman isnt a bad choice by any means, but with how important a story his first title chase was, I'd like him to get it back in a situation that has a little more meat on the bone, narratively speaking. I think going with Swerve here, and having Hangman be driven insane by it (I guess not unsimilar to Timeless Toni's story, but played straight) might be fruitful later on.

All good points, mate. You're right about striking hot when the time's right. That's so crucial.

• Like 1