DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEBRUARY 2024

48 minutes ago, The Natural said:

AEW has a huge roster especially top heavy fighting it out for TV time and main events.

On some level it's like 84-87 WWF where guys who were pushed hard in a territory like Martel or JYD end up in a tag team or just lower down the card.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I've never got into Malakai Black/Aleister Black.

I agree with this 100%. He has a good look for his gimmick. But of the three guys in HOB, he is the one that impresses me the least in the ring. And the HOB vignettes are kinda old hat to me at this point.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I agree on Adam Cole. Disagree with Eddie Kingston. In between the HOB. I've never got into Malakai Black/Aleister Black.

18 minutes ago, SovietShooter said:

I agree with this 100%. He has a good look for his gimmick. But of the three guys in HOB, he is the one that impresses me the least in the ring. And the HOB vignettes are kinda old hat to me at this point.

Glad I'm not the only one. Cheers.

• Like 1

You know how HBK was roided out of his gourd in the 90s but was still an amazing worker? Then he came back after losing his smile, was born again, had gotten clean and was significantly smaller but he was still HBK so you could still buy him against guys like Taker etc.

Well, Adam Cole is like the reformed clean HBK, just without having done the 90s era to give him enough history to be that believable. He shouldn't be going move for move with anyone over 200lbs. In his matches, he needs to play the Jerry to the Tom a bit more.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Injury-prone I'll give you as a fair criticism

Honestly, I wouldn't call Cole injury prone.  In AEW, he suffered a bad concussion, then later rolled his ankle jumping off the entrance ramp while doing a run-in.  To me, "injury prone" denotes something like tearing a muscle while just doing regular-ass wrestling, like tearing your quad while walking across the ring, or a guy like Punk who tears his triceps just putting on his gear. 

9 hours ago, zendragon said:

I don’t think HOB’s promos are bad but much like Dax he could stand to develop another note

Oh lord Dax and his fucking promos.  The forced stammering, the hand on the head and other weird hand gesticulations.  I know he's trying to sound homespun and genuine, but it's so cringeworthy. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Honestly, I wouldn't call Cole injury prone.  In AEW, he suffered a bad concussion, then later rolled his ankle jumping off the entrance ramp while doing a run-in.  To me, "injury prone" denotes something like tearing a muscle while just doing regular-ass wrestling, like tearing your quad while walking across the ring, or a guy like Punk who tears his triceps just putting on his gear. 

Fully agree - I guess what I meant by that was, I didn't think it was that crazy of an impression for Godfrey or anyone to have based on the crappy back to back timing (I also thought when I wrote that, that it was two concussions fairly close together, like around Forbidden Door time - a bunch of guys got hurt around then so it's entirely possible I'm blending stuff together in my head)

For me, I’m not a huge in-ring Cole guy. (Admittedly this is just off the AEW work). But I love his heel promos. He has so much charisma, I just wish he did more eye pokes and back racks. 
When he is done with the eventual  returning and both healed MJF melodrama, I’d love to see a series with Roddy against FTR who are overly serious on how they want their matches presented. They can helpfully work with each other and help where both teams need help.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Octopus said:

For me, I’m not a huge in-ring Cole guy. (Admittedly this is just off the AEW work). But I love his heel promos. He has so much charisma, I just wish he did more eye pokes and back racks. 
When he is done with the eventual  returning and both healed MJF melodrama, I’d love to see a series with Roddy against FTR who are overly serious on how they want their matches presented. They can helpfully work with each other and help where both teams need help.

Yeah look, if I'm Adam Cole, I'm worried with the influx of talent. He's another guy who basically spent his entire career being rewarded for a lot of the wrong lessons. He's going to have one major, major advantage when he finally comes back.

The crowd hasn't seen him take a beating for a long time. A goal should be to withhold it from them for as long as possible. He needs to bump sparingly and stall heavily and try to get real heat. Less about workrate classics. More about watching Zbyszko and only bumping towards the end of the match when it matters the most.

For MJF, upon his return, he needs to keep watching Dusty and not try to compete with Ospreay/Omega/Sammy. He needs to offer an alternative and double down instead of hedging like he has been.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That certainly makes it seem as if we'll see a Kazuchika Okada is All Elite graphic. 

Agreed, and it also makes me wonder about NJPW's future with regard to the States. My understanding was Rocky basically IS the Forbidden Door. Super curious to see how this affects the AEW/TNA partnerships, Strong, and stuff like that - not to mention the flow of gaijins the other way

28 minutes ago, Octopus said:

They can helpfully work with each other and help where both teams need help.

Love this idea. The conversation here yesterday and today makes me feel like if Cole had a little bit more of Roddy's intensity, folks might buy into him a bit more, so this is right in line with that

Edit: @Matt DI agree with everything you said about MJF, but will say, I think he was well on his way to everything you wrote until the crowd turned him babyface. It was certainly something watching him pivot to doing Hogan spots in a similar spirit

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

I think it might be fun with Malakai to like, tease that he has some kind of supernatural abilities. Not out and out say it, and not have anything he does be too outlandish, but just little stuff. Like, in the fantasy booked Lethal Lottery tourney some of us have suggested, have Black & Matthews be paired together at random and Black is standing there smiling like he had something to do with it. Overt magic in pro wrestling is dumb, but mind games are fun. The key is that it would have to be somewhat plausible that Black could just be really sneaky and manipulative, but he could also be influencing the company by supernatural means. And he never gives a straight answer. He just shrugs when asked about it, or says something like "I like magic." You never say he's magic. You never have him do overtly supernatural shit. He just has a lot of things go his way at opportune times that leads to success. I don't think that's ever been done, and I think he's the perfect guy to do that with.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

No arguments about Punk but Cole was out with the same number of injuries and for a similar amount of time. Pretty sure two were in ring injuries and I think the "freak" ankle injury is just him not having strong ankles

Edited by Godfrey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kang said:

I can't see what Bix posted. But I know what you mean, I read the replies.

Here's what he wrote:

Rocky's only ever been nice to me and I've never heard a bad word about anyone's direct dealings with him. But bringing in the guy who tried to sneak Marty Scurll back into the mainstream of wrestling as part of your front office, esp. iIn Our Current Moment, is a terrible idea.

I really love Malakai Black, but I’d rather he be Tommy End instead without the spooky perverts gimmick. I don’t dig on the supernatural shit. I really wanted Black to be a dude who eloquently talked shit and wrecked dudes and things just didn’t shake out that way. I figured he’d be this generation’s CM Punk. 

Aside from his NXT run, is just been nothing but spooky nonsense, most of which is his idea.

The great thing is that Brody stands out so fucking much that it could just be Brody and Julia and that would be more than enough. I also think Julia is going to wind up in WWE. She’s way too young and getting better and better to not have both companies bidding for her and I think WWE would come out on top. I just get this feeling that she’ll get her bag from WWE and then eventually come back to AEW.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Wasn't Deeb out cause she was hurt or medical reasons? Or are we saying she was lying?

There was a story out that she was out of favor because she was pushing to get Scrull a front office job, but the story was unsourced and there was never any follow up so I'm extremely skeptical.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

There was a story out that she was out of favor because she was pushing to get Scrull a front office job, but the story was unsourced and there was never any follow up so I'm extremely skeptical.

Yeah, AFAIK, there wasn't anything else on that.

Plus, if she was removed as a coach, then it would have validated something was amiss. Then, it would be a double standard. Otherwise, both Rocky and Serena have "office" jobs outside of wrestling for AEW.