DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

The reporter on that sweaty Papa John interview is a good friend of mine. 

When that interview aired, my wife was working in communications for Papa John’s corporate. I never dreamt that Papa John saying weird shit on tv would affect my home life, but there we were. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Log said:

The reporter on that sweaty Papa John interview is a good friend of mine. 

When that interview aired, my wife was working in communications for Papa John’s corporate. I never dreamt that Papa John saying weird shit on tv would affect my home life, but there we were. 

Your buddy's line of questioning saved me from going Elvis on my TV having to hear "Hey, Papa... Hey, Peyton" 500x every Sunday. On behalf of NFL viewers everywhere: we thank him.

• Haha 2

So VENY (Japanese Asuka; Not WWE Asuka) was booked for West Coast Pro on Saturday. But having flown in to San Francisco, she then had to cancel the match and return to Japan immediately. Suspicion is that she got caught working without a visa, and may therefore be banned from entering the USA for five years (like Speedball Mike Bailey was 6 years ago). Although that isn't confirmed.

At some point recently we were talking about Bruiser Brody and if he would play ball with Vince and Hogan if he came in for a run. The conversation happened. Here's some second hand confirmation from someone who has no reason to lie about it:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Your buddy's line of questioning saved me from going Elvis on my TV having to hear "Hey, Papa... Hey, Peyton" 500x every Sunday. On behalf of NFL viewers everywhere: we thank him.

John was already out of the company by that interview, but I agree that my Sundays improved with him off tv.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

In his last 16 matches, CM Punk has had a suspension, a suspension-turned firing, and three major injuries.

One of those injuries was during his entrance to the ring for a promo, not even a match! Hell, both him and Adam Cole suffered major injuries coming out to the ring.

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

This whole thing with NXT and having to find something for Rock's (by all accounts not very talented) daughter reminds me of this past season of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

the WWE probably is not capable of going in this direction for a variety of reasons but leaning into the whole "nepotism hire" on-screen thing would be more interesting than what they'll do.

the Gerwitz book mentions how the general concept of "General Manager Mike Adamle" was "Michael Scott from the Office"... which they didn't end up doing because.. well... Vince didn't watch The Office.

so, "the show regularly devolves into chaos because the GM is a nepotism hire" would be an interesting approach but it would be a little too realistic for the company and would probably go over badly with important people.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

At some point recently we were talking about Bruiser Brody and if he would play ball with Vince and Hogan if he came in for a run. The conversation happened. Here's some second hand confirmation from someone who has no reason to lie about it:

I remember hearing a fellow wrestler (for the life of me, I can't remember who) who was close to Brody saying he would never turn down this match. If the money was right, Brody would have definitely jobbed to Hogan.

8 minutes ago, assfax said:

What's that Brody payday lookin' like?  250k? Cool million? 

Depends. Are we talking a WM main event? A loop against Hogan in major markets?

FWIW, the payday Bundy had for working WM2 with Hulk was $50k. I’m sure Brody would have asked for a lot more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zendragon said:

421765473_973260070828096_86735404743655

Stan Hansen replaced Gordy

I really wish the WWE would do something like this again. Sending Charlie Dempsey (Regal's son) to AJPW should be a start to test the waters of doing something in Japan in the future. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

just found a way to keep Solo out of the Cody/Roman match..

Cody is accompanied to the ring by The Math Magician, who will force Solo to answer math questions if he shows up during the match

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

just found a way to keep Solo out of the Cody/Roman match..

Cody is accompanied to the ring by The Math Magician, who will force Solo to answer math questions if he shows up during the match

Book it so the dude misses the first question and is frog marched away in handcuffs by Kate Friday and George Frankly of the Mathnet precinct.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

if the Math Magician is unavailable, then bring out Olmec from Legends of the Hidden Temple

This would be a good way to repurpose the Punjabi Prison as the Shrine of the Silver Monkey for blowoff matches

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I bet Dee Bradley Baker is available. It's too bad that we missed out on Olmec as guest GM telling a heel that they'd be facing Kane in the same cadence as telling a couple of kids about facing THE SHRIIIIIIINE OF THE SILVER MONKEY.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3