DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 12/13 - 12/19/2023 - Winter is Coming... Quick, Look Busy!

Dolfan in NYC

It is Chanukah season in AEW!  

Tonight, on the 7th night, you get....

Ruby vs. Riho!  Hangman vs. Roddy!  Moxley vs. Strickland! 

The Von Erichs!

KIMONA WANALAYA PRINCE NANA DANCES~!

WINTER IS COMING! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Brody King vs Andrade El Idolo added to tonight, as the Blue league appears on Dynamite for the first time.

December: A shorter month than you realise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

fmnQnKK.jpg

Not trying to be controversial here but, in my opinion, that looks like it might be a pretty good couple hours of pro wrestling television. 

Also, I think both Hangman vs Neckstrong (a natural match-up) and Mox vs Swerve feature two American wrestlers competing in THEIR HOME COUNTRY of America, not unlike Kenny vs Ego from Collision in Montreal. I bet the local American crowd will be extra pumped up for that!

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

This feels like the least hype for a Winter is Coming show yet.  Mox-Omega and Hangman-Danielson were huge matches at the time.  I'm looking forward to Mox-Swerve but it's not even close (and I'm kinda burnt out on Moxley).  Guessing MJF would have defended the title here if he wasn't hurt.  Not sure what attendance is looking like but it was 6k in 2021 and a little under 5k last year according to wiki

• Like 2

This is an excellent line-up. I'm into Ruby v Riho! I'll wait to see what this looks like, but I'm kinda hoping for a feud. Hangman v Roddy has the potential to be a 2023 dark horse classic. Huge fan of both these athletes. We got the warm-up for King v Andrade here in Toronto during Forbidden door weekend. It was a very solid affair. This will no doubt be better. A Jericho townhall is a suspect segment. The Von Erichs, hmmm. Surely somebody's playing the 'Birds tonight? Rush v Lethal I expect to prove again what a great hand Jay is. Briscoe v White is a gahddamn dream match too.  Mox v Swerve 'is a Main Event in any arena around the world, Jesse'.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

Things I remember from this week of AEW Dynamite:

Roddy gets mic time to say that MJF is actually the devil. Then Hangman beats Roddy. Also Samoa Joe had some words.

Surprised to see that Andrade has been allowed on Dynamite. Must be a weird week for Collision. I didn't realize this was happening since I didn't look at the list of matches preshow.

The Von Erichs popped up for a few moments before getting ushered to Rampage. We now have Kevin Von Erich and Danhausen on the same screen.

Jericho and Omega talked and then Starks and Large William appeared and I hear it was awful. Well, being on Jericho Island does suck, afterall.

Riho gets to kick off an hour.

Rush/Lethal and White/Briscoe went pretty much as you'd expect.

Moxley beats Swerve. That was a decision that was made. So pretty much Moxley has to beat Jay White to get Swerve through?

EDIT: NINJAS ARE ATTACKING HANGMAN ADAM PAGE FOR SOME REASON. THE WACK SCORPION STRIKES AGAIN.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

So pretty much Moxley has to beat Jay White to get Swerve through?

It's more complicated than that.

If White beats Moxley and Swerve beats Rush, then Moxley, Swerve, and White all end with 12 pts. And because they went rock-paper-scissors, tiebreakers are no help in determining who advances. So presumably we'd get a triple threat instead of a singles match as the Gold League semifinals.

If White beats Moxley and Rush beats Swerve, then Swerve is out and Moxley and White get a rematch in the semis, with White in first place and Moxley in second.

If Moxley beats White, then Swerve is in second place whether he beats Rush or not.

If Moxley and White tie and Swerve either beats or ties with Rush, then Swerve still gets second place.

If Moxley and White tie and Rush beats Swerve, then it's Moxley in first place and White in second.

Edited by tbarrie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Andrade/King was BALLER. They worked a really nice underdog vs. monster match where the underdog stepped the fuck up and proved that he isn't that at all, and primarily via chops that were so loud the echoed through the entire building. There was a lot of movez here but it worked because everything looked like it hurt, especially the cannonball in the corner where Andrade should have been checking for teeth. Rush beat Jay Lethal handily which I would have rather been the opposite considering I had to look up and also be explained the definition and reason behind the term "femicide" in regards to Rush. Mexico is apparently even more fucked up than I already knew. Chicken vs. Knife Pervert felt like a bunch of high-end offense with no story behind it or direction whatsoever. They even re-did the Froggy Bow-into-knees spot. Lazy, and Mark deserves a win. Strickland vs. Moxley took that swerve (heh) win instead. If Strickland is gonna use that fucking stupid of a finisher for a match he deserves to get rolled up every single time. Otherwise, match was great! Riho looked good, Ruby not so much, but what are you gonna do when nobody gets any laps in the division, as was pointed out in the chat.

• Like 2

Two very very very good matches tonight. Swerve losing is fine. His shine is fine. Honestly, I tend to think he would only be hampered by anything less than the World Title, so I am not even sure he needs to get to the finals of this thing. As far as I'm concerned, the only question AEW should be asking itself at all at the moment is how do we get the belt onto Swerve. 

I'll be sad when Andrade leaves because he is very much one of my favorite in-ring guys in the world today, and I do not understand why he has had such trouble breaking through time and time again. I doubt he'll fair much better in WWE for a second go round, but that seems INSANE to me because he's so charismatic and hits like a truck. Very excited for RUSH/Swerve and Danielson/Brody coming up, too. 

The Devil (who very suspiciously seems to enjoy REAL GLASS) sucks. That whole thing sucks. Who cares. Go away. I hope Heel Hangman Page is fun whenever we get to it. 

I didn't hate the Omega/Jericho Starks/Bill stuff half as much as everyone else. It felt loose and messy and was bad, but at least it felt natural and off-the-cuff and maybe got Ricky actually mad? I'll take that over a script any day.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

The Von Erichs popped up for a few moments before getting ushered to Rampage. We now have Kevin Von Erich and Danhausen on the same screen.

Kev sounded kinda reticent or camera-shy or something and the kids looked kind of... I dunno, small? (I've seen them work plenty in MLW so I know they aren't.) But Kev's hands are ENORMOUS. You know exactly why the Claw was an effective finisher if his dad's and his brothers' hands were the same size. 

We also got to talking about how Jeremy Allen White is too small to play Kerry in The Iron Claw and at least he is ten times cuter than Kerry's resemblance to a horse. 😛

Since the Jericho stuff got brought up, man they need to stop that with talent that doesn't deserve it. The WWE method of top guys trashing under guys with pithy, shoot-y remarks that make them look worthless to the crowd isn't gonna help anything. It won't help Bill get over (as he should be), it won't help Ricky get over (as he should be to the point he should be holding a major belt past the tag one), it won't help anything but Jericho and Omega and their fans feel superior. Fuck that shit. Drop it. 

• Like 1

how many promos by people going up against Ricky Starks have we had where it might give one the impression that Ricky's leaving the company as soon as he can?

although having an obviously on his way out Ricky trapped in feuds with Jericho might be irony considering that Jericho was pretty much staring at the door for the last 9 months of his WCW stint in 99

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

If Moxley beats White, then Swerve is in second place whether he beats Rush or not.

I'm not sure this is right. If Mox and Rush win, then second place is another rock-paper-scissors unresolvable tie between White, Rush, and Swerve, isn't it?

• Thanks 1