DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/18 - 10/24/2023 - Nick Wayne's Mom Has Got It Goin' On

Dolfan in NYC

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

would a babyface look like too much of a dumbass if Jeff offers to do stereo Fargo Struts next to him and then Jarrett hits the face with the Stroke from that position?

That's what we lose with no Elevation. Like the FTR match where they just totally fooled their opponents. It works with enhancement guys (or, you know, Griff).

• Like 3

I guess they can't do "winners get paid more" as strongly in an era where we know the guys are on contracts, but maybe "these job guys don't have contracts and will get paid off of how well they do" could make some kayfabe sense to explain why dudes who never win are wrestling on TV

Before we end up with jabronis losing to new moves that the stars are testing

• Like 1

Dynamite thoughts:

dug the Switchblade/Pentagon match. that move that Penta hit (somebody posted it earlier) was pretty cool and i would like to see it again.

this may seem like blasphemy to some here, but i could not care less about Emi Sakura. she was never going to win this match. i have zero investment to her or her character whatsoever. keep her off Dynamite.

i looked up the 2/23/98 WCW Nitro that Powerhouse Hobbs was presumably referencing. Jericho retained his cruiserweight title over Lenny Lane. unfortunately, jericho did not interact with any young fans at ringside. i also did not see anybody that could be confused for a young William. mostly high school/college white fratboys. was hoping for a screencap. must have been post-match or off air sometime. to be fair, i only watched the jericho segment, so Hobbs could potentially be seen at some other point.

ok, i was in for Toni Storm's character. last week's silent movie was pretty dumb but not terrible. this week's was actively bad. 

unsure what's happening with Wardlow. 

Omega/Fletcher was fun. 

the battle royal had a painfully obvious winner, so it was hard to get invested. i think it's most likely that MJF retains over Switchblade, so i would think Juice gets the ring to make MJF look vulnerable. i'm sure it will be through BCG's interference. 

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

I haven't watched much/any CMLL post-March 2020 but Volador Jr looked like such a dickhead that I feel like he would get over for at reason more than anything else.

You really should check out the freebies from the past year. Rocky/Volador was great. Rocky was a wonderful dickhead to Volador.

I thought Collision was a good show tonight. Forgot about B.O.T.B's till they mentioned it in the first hour.

Bryan vs. Andrade was pretty good. I liked the flash pin ending and then after a minute the lights go out and it's Malkai Black. Oh that match with him and Bryan is gonna rule.

It was nice to see The House of black all over the show tonight. Later in the night I cracked up at Nigel saying Bryan had a broken wrist and like a coward got surgery unlike Brody King who just has a cast. Nigel was on fire all night especially with his love and praise of Jeff Jarrett.

Eddie Kingston vs. Jarrett was so much fun. I still wish it was leading to a Jarrett ROH Title run, but we got a money promo from Eddie later in the night. Man I love when Eddie gets all personal like he did tonight. 

FTR get beat up by House of Black. That should be a fun feud. 

BIG BILL/Ricky Starkz vs. Claudio and Yuta was a damn good tag match. Big Bill continues to improve so much each week. Again at the end we get House of Black. So we're also getting a House of Black vs. BCC feud as well. I loved the ending with Claudio swinging Ricky forever and ever.

Battle of the Belts started with a shoving match between Orange Cassidy and Jon Moxley and the rest of the BCC. I hope we get that Mox/Cassidy rematch. Silver/Cassidy was all right. Typical OC match at this point.

Joe/Neese was a fun little squash.

Statlander vs. Willow was a good match. I liked seeing the edgy side of Willow with her doing some heelish things. Kris gets a good victory and try's some sportsmanship with Willow only for Skye Blue to say no. But Willow is pure and good so she shakes her hand anyway.

Final match was the Trio's tag and it was all right. Typical Acclaimed/Daddy Ass match at this point. Loved Garcia snapping and finally doing his dance only for it to cost him in the end.

Overall a good night of stuff. I liked where they are going with the house of black tonight.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Given Tony's love for retreads,  I wouldn't be surprised if it really ended up being Abdullah, Foley, and Madusa.

Yeah, if it's not Abdullah coming out of a box then I don't know what we're doing here.

And that Haley chick... that the same lady who just skipped a WWE tryout because her doctor wouldn't clear her because of seizures? And she just randomly shows up in AEW a few days later?

Edited by Peck

Okay, to save time, I will try to keep this to bullet points. 

- Dragon needs to avoid people trying to double stomp him, please. Andrade, put on your old mask again instead, please. 

- Nigel (who is ON as a heel commentator tonight) thinks Tony's present for Sting will be Robocop. I think it's gonna be a belt with Sting's face on it. 

- Eddie vs. Jarrett's entire crew (Jarrett's Army? House of Jarrett? The Jeff Jarrett Appreciation Society?) hopefully made up for the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, if anyone is still PO'd about that one. We got ketchup, mustard, blood, barbed wire, trash cans up the wazoo and the infamous lead roll of X-mas paper. I was thoroughly entertained. Later, Eddie gives a promo so good the medic is about to cheese out the whole time. Me too lady! 

- House of Black is back. FTR is back. Moxley is back. MIRO FUCKING MIRO is back for my edification and enjoyment, and has a nice longish match with Andretti even though you think it'll be a squash. He's still got his heat, baby! My boy Tony Nese also shows up to get destroyed by Joe who tells MJF to GIVE ME WHAT I WANT! (TM Batista)

- The jobbers tonight included two guys who did the Time Warp straight from 1986 and a dude who had a high top fade with Hogan-style dyed blonde mustache in his beard (?!?!). In better fashion looks, Skye Blue had some rad half-leather, half-denim pants. 

- Poor Ricky took so much abuse he probably feels like a bowl full of jelly or mashed potatoes or something right now. 

- Willow and Kris show up next to last and give what may have been the match of the night. The only move bigger than the enormous Thunder Fiyah Powerbomb from Bill earlier is the insane Avalanche DVD from Willow to Kris. Woof! The irritant squad of the Acclaimed and poor ex-JAS couldn't top that. STILL no giant blow-up. *sigh*

That was a hell of a night of wrestling. I'm spent... just like Natural is after hearing about the Okada match, I'm sure 😉 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm all in on a BCC/HOB feud. Black showing up out there to beat down Danielson was good enough, but them showing back up throughout the show to seemingly start a program with them and/or FTR. The only thing I didn't like was that the heels should have stood tall at the end to make us anticipate the faces trying to get their revenge, but I guess they needed to set up the bit with Moxley and Cassidy. I also thought it was kind of out of character for HOB to ally with Starks and Bill instead of taking them out as well.

Speaking of Starks and Bill, they were really shining in the tag match. I'd always written Bill off as a stiff, but he's really put it together as of late. I like how no matter how hard Claudio and Yuta battled back, Bill was just too big and Starks was just too crafty for them.

It's good to see Miro back, but I think he should have won quicker and more decisively.

Eddie's promo in the back was the best part about that whole match and segment.

Willow/Statlander was probably my favorite match of the night. Both of them looked great here, even if that avalanche DVD was a bit much to kick out of. I'm really glad it looks like they aren't turning Willow heel as well as everything about her just has natural face energy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phantom Lord said:

Nigel was on fire all night

My favorites aside from Robocop was him telling Tony and Kelly "You want to keep your wives in the house, you guys leave", then later referencing Long John Silver and threatening to reference Long DONG Silver. I'm usually not a big fan of his work but this was solid stuff.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gordlow said:

What does everyone figure Tony K's big gift for Sting is gonna be? I guess: Socks.

Somebody coming out of a box?

I like Willow being the Brody King of Julia's all female HOB (that makes Dark Skye Buddy?)

Also Cool Hand and Ruby interaction made me realize Ange is totally a sick Boy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I had Tony Khan money, I'd bring out a giant crate, but in the giant crate is a giant bottle containing the other Sting wearing Surfer Sting facepaint singing Message In A Bottle. 

More money is then thrown at the lead guitarist from U2 to set up a copyright avoiding rock n wrestling tag match. Sting and Sting vs The Edge and Edge is what you all want.

• Like 2