DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/4 - 10/10/2023 - On This Day, I. P. Freely

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Last big stage play I ever did was Edward Albee's The Zoo Story and I totally goofed it up. Made it into a one man show instead of a mutual exchange that happened to consist of one-guy-talking and one-guy-listening. And it isn't just about how good Edge talked, or (more importantly?) how good Chrisitan listened, it's about how well they managed to communicate the drama between both themselves and the audience while this speaker vs. listener exhange was going on. Really really really high-end promo stuff here.

Plus in Albee fashion of a different sort it ended in cussing 

• Like 1

There were SEVERAL instances during this show where I thought "I am enjoying this SO much more than my buddy Matt right now. Also probably my friend Paul. And various others over on DVDVR."

Then i started to look forward to reading the reactions here.

Then I thought, "Fuck it, let's go post my apparently-contrarian and "dammit, Gordlow!" type thoughts...

First: Two suggestions for continuing the Roddy/Kingdom/Cole skits:

1) Have Roddy yelling AADDDAAMMM!!, and various other Adams show up (Page, Copeland, Bomb, Scherr, Ant (an underrated member of The Colony), Sandler...)

2) Have John Silver drop by and yell "AAAANNNAAAAAAA!!!" while Roddy yells " AADDDDDAAAMMMM!!"

Edit: the giraffe is already my second-favourite pro wrestling stuffed animal, after Hiromu's cat Darryl.

Second: I miss Butcher's long scraggly hair. Only thing more disgusting than a bald-headed freak is two stinking ugly bald-headed freaks. 

My best laugh of the show was the completely botched attempt to hum Beethoven's 5th at the end of the Wardlow match. Also, I owe Craig Haitch an apology. Wardlow really is "just a (huge) guy" without the man bun! I was honestly, like, "Who is this dude?" when he first came out to face Griff.

Dragon vs Swerve, Fenix vs Mox, Hobbs vs Jerico, that other match they announced! Dang. The potentially great matches just keep coming. (Edit: Oh! Tuesday Night Wars. No wonder). Also, I am stoked about Rampage going back to apparently random WAR-style match-ups this week.

Timeless Toni should team up with Limitless Lee. She is (obviously) doing such great character work now, in promos and in the ring. 

The guy in the King Switch shirt chanting along with "Talentless Taint" also got a legit lol outa me.

I LOVE tofu. Atsu age, wakame dofu, tamago dofu, yuba, and kitsune style in particular.

I think I like tofu more than I like Jay White, and I have nothing against Jay White.

I thought the Codebreaker into The One Winged Angel was a great team finisher. Add it to Fight Forever! Prove the game hasn't been abandoned yet!

I wanna smoke cigars and drink whiskey with Samoa Joe.

"Titty Slap! Look at those titties... And then: GO FUCK YOURSELF." I got endless Beavis and Butthead level amusement from Dynamite on FITE today. TV watchers are straight missing out. Unless they are either easily offended or too sophisticated to appreciate that kind of nonsense. I am neither, so I was delighted.

Twelfth: How about COD as a team name for Christian, Orphan, Dinosaur?

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 11

I’m absolutely down for more shithead Christian stuff before he inevitably turns babyface again after Copeland has had most of his dream matches. They’re 100% retiring together as a team.

The idea of FTR versus Copeland/Christian has me all Juice Robinson’d.

• Like 6

Note on Edge - his list of dream matches was particular. Moxley, Omega, sure. Jay White? Dope. I heard watching Okada vs. Omega was the reason he wanted to un-retire so I figure he's a legit fanboy who at least checked out big NJPW matches. Will Hobbes? That means you actually watch the product and realize who the real blue chips are (in fairness Punk realized this too). Juice Robinson?! That means you have TASTE.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 7

It made me wonder if Edge is going to be the Black Scorpion Devil.

There's like legit a lot of ways they could go with this, and all could make some kinda of sense.  I could even see Jay faking the attack on himself, and using that to trick/test MJF.

3 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

It made me wonder if Edge is going to be the Black Scorpion Devil.

There's like legit a lot of ways they could go with this, and all could make some kinda of sense.  I could even see Jay faking the attack on himself, and using that to trick/test MJF.

He's aligned himself with Sting and Darby and neither of them exactly have a great track record for retaining allies, so it's quite possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

While it will be awesome, what’s up with booking Swerve vs Danielson? Swerve is scorching hot and shouldn’t lose a match in the next calendar year. Yet I can’t see a Christian/Swerve match happening?

Possibly extending the Starks/BCC fight? Starks costs Danielson the match?

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

While it will be awesome, what’s up with booking Swerve vs Danielson? Swerve is scorching hot and shouldn’t lose a match in the next calendar year. Yet I can’t see a Christian/Swerve match happening?

Unless Swerve is going babyface, in which case him and Christian is a fun program, especially promo-wise. I was actually wondering if they'd turn Swerve face and have Hobbs take his place in the Mogul Embassy but then they went ahead and put him in the Callis family instead. But as much as we all love Danielson he definitely shouldn't be beating Swerve anytime soon. 

Other than there being just WAYYYYYY too much Adam Cole, I really dug this show. Hobbs makes too much sense as a member of the Callis family. Factions like a motherfucker. This might be more of a stable, though.

• Like 1

Fun show! A couple of things I wanted to point out:

That was a bad crowd, I really laughed at the fact that The Bucks' own people didn't care about them, then it became apparent that crowd didn't care for anything.
I HATED that manbun, but Wardlow, the state of your hair mate
Also YAY GRIFF GARRISON IS BACK
Sky Blue's evil TURN HAS BEGUN, did you see the makeup?
Powerhouse really needs to stay away from factions, but Don has Konosuke and Hobbs? Count me in.
A scumbag and a douchebag are not the same things.
I'm all in on Joan Crawford Toni Stom, she finally has some personality, and the commercial plug was great!
Max on Max action is definitely approved
I didn't think it would happen, but I was all for that E&C Reunion Tour.

• Like 1

Last night's show was all right. Nothing spectacular...especially for an anniversary show. They loaded up everything on that front for next week.

Fenix vs. Nick was all right.

The Adam Cole/Roddy skit was funny especially with the music which you heard the second time it aired.

The Kenny/Jericho vs. Takeshita/Fletcher match was good. I loved the opening with Tony being morally offended by the Last Supper painting. A bit long, but good. Everytime you think Don Callis is gonna get got, he pulls another trick out of his sleeve and this time it was Powerhouse Hobbs. That was a good beat down. I liked the chair shot at the end. They are so rare like that so it added something to the angle. Of course Kenny trying to free himself defeated the purpose of being KO'ed by said chair shot did look a bit silly.

Timeless Toni Storm. She needs to be the TBS Champion when the Statlander reign is over. That whole promo was fantastic. The match with Skye Blue was all right.

Adam Copeland's promo was good. But man Christian was so damn good not saying anything but the three words that he did.

The show felt like it was missing something.

• Like 1

Roderick having to scream Adam's name any time he says it for any reason is hilarious. As was the Caster/MJF twitter deal finally carrying over to TV.  Toni/Skye was fun, looking forward to Toni vs Kiera on Collision. 

Felt kinda weird to not have Copeland save Kenny and Jericho after having their little backstage bit and knowing he was there while they did explain the rest of the Elite not being there. Pretty great Copeland/Christian ending regardless.

• Like 4

Need a screenshot of Roddy with the giraffe

Where was Edge while Jericho and Omega were getting the shit kicked out of them for 10 minutes?  They had an idea for a cute backstage segment and didn't make the connection that he should probably save those guys after that?

Same old Wardlow.  I never liked the power bomb spam, it was disappointing to have him come back after months off TV with the same act.  Poor Griff

Nice to see Kip Sabian.  I assume he's on Dynamite from time to time but it would be cool to see him more often on the main shows.  Always found him entertaining and thought he'd improved in the ring

What moves actually put Fenix down for a 3 count?  He doesn't get pinned often, I'm genuinely curious.  Kicking out of that top rope cutter was something

I loved the sequence of Nick kicking the post, Fenix sweeping his legs and Nick spiking right on his head on the apron

Tony's reaction to Don's last supper painting was hilarious.  Guess he missed it at the PPV.

"I'VE GOT A ROCK HARD TAINT!" - Juice

Jay White calls the fans poors:  "AND WE MEAN IT!  WE HATE YOU!" - Juice again 😄

Edited by ExcellenceofAirPollution
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Where was Edge while Jericho and Omega were getting the shit kicked out of them for 10 minutes?  They had an idea for a cute backstage segment and didn't make the connection that he should probably save those guys after that?

Again, he's not from Winnipeg.

Wardlow looked like shit. Like Brayden Walker levels. Those powerbombs looked ridiculously unsafe. If you're making your big return, those that are practically blackfacing with the spray tan are probably going to make you look really pale by comparison.

As much as I suspect the timing means he's involved with the whole ninja thing, I'd have preferred if him and Hobbs swapped roles, assuming Hobbs is just going to be the guy taking all the pins against Jericho/Omega. 

2 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

"I'VE GOT A ROCK HARD TAINT!" - Juice

Jay White calls the fans poors:  "AND WE MEAN IT!  WE HATE YOU!" - Juice again 😄

The one note I took watching tonight that I wanted to post here, copied directly below:

Juice Robinson with a masterclass in ranting and raving tonight: "I've got a rock hard taint!", "We mean it, we hate you!", miming a dog pissing on MJF.

Great minds eh?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

As was the Caster/MJF twitter deal finally carrying over to TV.  T

I was glad that finally happened but also wondering if purpose was to intimate that Acclaimed and Billy Gunn may have been behind the devil mask beatdown (the guys in the clip were way smaller, but I guess for the sake of a good 'whodunnit' why not

• Like 1