DVDVR Message Board

WWE ROSTER PURGE - 9/21/23

ChesterCopperpot

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Assuming there's isn't a no compete, I'm expecting a Bro-fest by tomorrow evening over in A E Dub. 

I'd be incredibly unhappy if he showed up at a show I was going to be at (so hyped for Collision tomorrow), or with them in general. Hopefully he fades away from the sport.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I would hope they have better sense than to touch a hot stove. 

Meanwhile, I'll be happy to be wrong for a change, at least for now

They hired Punk in the first place.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Assuming there's isn't a no compete, I'm expecting a Bro-fest by tomorrow evening over in A E Dub. 

All main roster contracts have a 90 day no compete

I think Riddle’s “charisma” sucks and is completely hollow. Every time that guy opens his mouth he sounds like a fucking moron. And as far as substance abuse and other headaches go, he’s a the top of the list. What kind of an idiot do you have to be to smoke synthetic weed when regular weed in WWE is only a fine? And AEW already has a walking substance abuse problem with Jeff Hardy. I can’t imagine TK being keen on having another one of those guys, especially when they don’t even move the dial.

If he didn’t come with all of the headaches I could see it happening. At the very least I think it all depends on him keeping his nose clean for the next 3 to 6 months. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The only wrestler I'd immediately go get if I was AEW is Mustafa Ali. I think he could be a mistake like Swerve, in that he is a talented wrestler that WWE had no interest in using correctly. All the others I'd probably let simmer, while Benjamin and Dolph could give some value I don't know if it would move the needle and I can't say definitely that they'd make AEW more fun to watch. But definitely Ali.

Riddle has the in-ring ability but he just has too many red flags in his personal life, I don't think they'd take the risk.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

surprised that Matt Riddle isn't from a place where there's surfing because he comes off like someone who would live on the beach

Time to bring back 50th State Wrestling and the Pensacola end of the Southeastern territory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The only wrestler I'd immediately go get if I was AEW is Mustafa Ali. I think he could be a mistake like Swerve, in that he is a talented wrestler that WWE had no interest in using correctly. All the others I'd probably let simmer, while Benjamin and Dolph could give some value I don't know if it would move the needle and I can't say definitely that they'd make AEW more fun to watch. But definitely Ali.

Riddle has the in-ring ability but he just has too many red flags in his personal life, I don't think they'd take the risk.

The only issue would be Ali would be someone you want to push and AEW feels crowded as is

20 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I like that breakdown of the roster from Mace and Monsoor. Is Rollins generally known as antisocial backstage? He always seemed like a weird annoying dude even before the dumb Jared Leto character but I've never really heard of anyone within the company having issues with him.

FWIW I had most of their Twitch stream on in the background and the roster breakdown bit from the reddit post is 100% fiction, they said zero of it. They then got annoyed with reddit making up stuff they were saying so they told everyone watching to go post even more ridiculous BS there. They also then called SRS on stream to have him refute the particularly stupid Riddle/Gunther bit from it, which was pretty funny.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

The only issue would be Ali would be someone you want to push and AEW feels crowded as is

I get what you are saying, but I think if AEW seems someone at a certain level (or potential to be at that level) come free they have to sign them. I think with the right opening storyline that Ali is "upper mid-card" ready, with 2.5 TV shows they should be able to find a spot for him. Plus they may soon be losing wrestlers, I am sure some contacts come due the end of this year/early next year so it helps to already have the next wrestler ready to step in.

But that's why I said only Ali. I don't see a spot for them to sign three, four wrestlers all at once. Would be a bit much.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I will continue to scream “HIRE TENILLE” from the rooftops until she’s on national TV again. She is fantastic, and deserves it.

But yeah if I had to pick a male wrestler that AEW picks up, it’d be Ali. Put him on Collision and let Danielson do some magic with him. I want to say he did some stuff for Ali in WWE, didn’t he?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

I will continue to scream “HIRE TENILLE” from the rooftops until she’s on national TV again. She is fantastic, and deserves it.

But yeah if I had to pick a male wrestler that AEW picks up, it’d be Ali. Put him on Collision and let Danielson do some magic with him. I want to say he did some stuff for Ali in WWE, didn’t he?

Yes. The New Daniel Bryan vs. Mustafa Ali, Smackdown, 11th December 2018 and The New Daniel Bryan defending the WWE Championship vs. Mustafa Ali vs. Kevin Owens at Fastlane 2019. KofiMania came about as Mustafa Ali got hurt and Kofi Kingston took his place with his momentum building and building to winning the WWE Championship from The New Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania XXXV.

Agree on Tenille Dashwood/Emma also.

Edited by The Natural

On 9/21/2023 at 7:56 PM, Matt D said:

1. I haven’t seen a Dolph match in years.

2. There’s a reason for that.

3. The only thing that kept him from being completely unwatchable prior to that was WWE reining in some of his worst instincts. 

I'd recommend even knowing how you feel about Dolph Ziggler in chronological order:

Dolph Ziggler vs. Daniel Bryan. Bragging Rights 2020.

Dolph Ziggler vs. Alberto Del Rio. Post WrestleMania XXIX RAW.

Dolph Ziggler vs. Alberto Del Rio. Payback 2013.

Dolph Ziggler vs. Daniel Bryan. Post WrestleMania XXXI RAW.

Dolph Ziggler vs. The Miz. No Mercy 2006.

• Like 2

Dolph was fantastic in that Survivor Series match where Sting debuted. I can't remember the year. It also makes no sense that it wasn't Dean Ambrose in that spot, given what was generally happening in WWE, but Dolph was fantastic.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, just drew said:

Dolph was fantastic in that Survivor Series match where Sting debuted. I can't remember the year. It also makes no sense that it wasn't Dean Ambrose in that spot, given what was generally happening in WWE, but Dolph was fantastic.

Survivor Series 2014. Team Cena vs. Team Authority.

Edited by The Natural

Nemeth’s debut match as Ziggler against Batista was a really good sprint where Dave gave a lot. It kind of reminds me of Danielson’s NXT debut match with Jericho where someone is put directly in the deep end with a top star and comes out looking great. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dog said:

And they're incapable of learning from history?

Given their continued poor handling of head injuries during matches, I'd say they've so far proven that they are, in fact, incapable of learning from history.

• Like 4