DVDVR Message Board

September 2023 Wrestling Discussion

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

There’s certainly a conspiracy theory about WCW being set up to fail for a lot of the reasons listed here. 

i think there's enough 'evidence' to prove this point. no tin foil hats needed.

in the WWF, anybody associated with WCW was a heel. They were portrayed as heels on TV since the moment they debuted. Look at the two biggest stars: They completely neutered and buried DDP. Booker T was turned into Shane's bumbling lackey. They made it a point to single out that this was a "WCW match" and changed the announcers, referee, and ring announcer. Vince McMahon, ON TV, went out of his way to mention he didn't want WCW matches on his show. It didn't "look" or "feel" like a WCW presentation, so no actual hardcore WCW fans would have cared.

Plus, you know, the whole thing about WWF Raw being in Atlanta one week later.

there's nothing wrong with the match. see for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g32efb5gaF8. it's no all-time classic or anything, but it's a perfectly acceptable match. It goes less than 5 minutes bell-to-bell before the WWF guys run in and wreck the whole thing (to a huge pop BTW). If the implication is that the match was SO bad that they changed the entire trajectory of the angle due to a 5 minute match, it must have been the absolute drizzling shits and the worst thing of all time.

i re-watched all of the Invasion stuff a few years ago and made a thread that i updated weekly to recap the shows (http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6883-invasion/#comment-740182). the search feature is broken right now, so i can't find it, but there was no way Vince/WWF was going to let WCW get over at any level. seriously, the ONLY person from WCW/ECW that got over to ANY level was RVD. The whole angle was garbage from the jump.

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I fully believe the conspiracy theory that WCW was set up to fail.

Didn't they try to get Nitro on TNN? Wasn't there talks even before the purchase of Vince pitching Nitro to Viacom but they didn't want two different wrestling promotions on the same network? Once they realized the network wasn't going to let Vince put WCW on the network they just decided to do the Invasion angle which was a last minute thing anyway. 

The whole brand extension idea came from what they originally wanted to do with having WCW as a separate brand. 

Don't get me wrong, even if it all worked out as they originally intended with WCW having its own show, Vince would have eventually have guys going back and forth to where it wouldn't matter anyways like Raw and Smackdown today. Plus you have Kevin Dunn getting in Vinces ear about not allowing WCW to get over on WWF perception wise. I'm just saying that I don't believe Vince bought WCW just to bury it immediately. I think he intended to make money off it first with 2 touring brands. Perhaps if those plans panned out then it would’ve been a better chance of some of the other guys sitting our the Turner contracts to get involved 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I fully believe the conspiracy theory that WCW was set up to fail.

Please. As if Vinnie Mac's ego is so fragile he needs to purposefully tank his investment just to make himself feel like the big conquering hero. [/sarcasm]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3