DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/2 - 8/8/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Opening tag was fun. Big Bill looks great. FTR gave those guys a lot and I really enjoyed it. 

Juice is insane. 

Loved the wacky Toni Storm promo. Get her far away from those other 2. A lot of good talkers on Collision and I didn’t realize she was one of them.

Joe is one of the most underrated promo guys of all time.

Main event was solid, but that ending needed to be better. Steamboat missed a cue to get in the ring at some point obviously.

Overall great show and love the All In direction. Very hyped for that Trios match next week and hope they get at least 10-15 minutes in before Samoa Joe stops asking nice.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I might in the minority, but i don't think there is any scenario that Joe should drop the fall to Punk twice in a row.

To build to a bigger, more marketable match in Chicago in the main event against more marketable opponent(s) the very next week whereas he’s in more of a supporting role in Wembley?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Some online think that Toni's new act (which I have no issues with so far) means the Outcast are either over or ending soon. I didn't get that just from one interview but it will be interesting in the next few weeks if there is a different vibe in the group, on Wednesday they act like the Collision interview never happened, or if they just kinda go their own ways.

• Like 2

I am caught up on Collision:

• Cage is such a goof. It was a little bit of a banana peel win for FTR. I liked how they worked with Bill much more but it was ok overall. They did a very good job of working vulnerable. Bill has tons of personality and I'm starting to wonder just what they have in mind for him for Grand Slam. You could have him challenge for something but probably do a battle royal on Rampage and have him win it for a future title shot. That'd be the way to play towards his strength, get a lot of guys on the card, and acknowledge how over he'll be. I think FTR should have challenged the winner of Bucks vs Hardys, actually.
  • Martinez's control on Kris was nice and impactful. She knows how to make her moments matter. Diamante/Mercedes sounds like a really solid team to me. I'm curious if the payoff here is Stat defending against Willow, face vs face. Someone needs to take Statlander aside and tell her not to run with the "Mama" thing. She may have had it in mind for a while but Rhea's thing is pretty iconic right now.
  • Poor Serpentico. At least he got to run at Joe? They need to put some stakes on Joe vs Punk. I think they'll let it speak for itself since that's Punk's MO right now but there's the title and the idea that Punk shouldn't win with a roll up again. Maybe a submission match? I think they'll just let it be though.
  • The House Rules stuff (which I like!) are magically back. It was kind of weird that Johnson didn't get in until the hot tag but he was wrestling like a guy who was going to make the absolute most of his TV time. House of Black is such a good act. I'm glad that they're hotshotting HOB vs CMFTR since I would have hated if they didn't get the opportunity to do it for some reason (injury for instance). My guess is that Joe is going to cost Punk the match to get Punk to agree to the Wembley match.
  • Metalik isn't nearly what he used to be but he still looked pretty solid in there, I thought.
  • Main was just a very good title match with a lot of time to breathe and a hot, split crowd. I'll write it up for tomorrow night. The finish could have been 20% better but it mostly worked for me. The post-match to put Starks over the edge was good. I partially wonder if Hobbs may not find his way back to him since the big issue was that Starks wasn't living up to his potential, basically. Another great Collision.

I am not looking forward to Dynamite. I just wrote about the entire roster and I want to see basically 90% of it, and it feels like Dynamite is going to hone in on the other 10% with renewed focus. I imagine Shida and Anna will "main event" with MJF and Cole closing out the show?

• Like 6

Ricky Starks didn’t kick out of the Schoolboy after the three count, he stayed in the pinned position until Punk let him out. Suggesting that it wasn’t a fluke, it was an unbreakable technique.

It’s the little things that matter.

• Like 1

FYR vs. Cage and Bill was good before it became infuriating. All the rules of a tag match got tossed out , Edwards stood around doing poses instead of making five counts, ....I had to fast forward through it. And that sucks because if they had at least tried to make sense within the rules of this shit? It would have been a really good match.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 4:10 AM, JLowe said:

FTR match was fun because it was very different with them against two huge dudes. They gave a ton and barely got the win. I didn’t hate Cage in this match, wrestling like a strong dude who can also do a nice dropkick and then let him have one big spot could work. Big Bill has top heel potential. Who called FTR-Bucks at Wembley?

On 8/6/2023 at 4:15 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Dammit I forgot about that. Put TWO up, Dolfan

From the All In II thread:

On 8/3/2023 at 3:11 PM, The Natural said:

So MJF vs. Adam Cole for the AEW World Championship. MJF retains and Cole attacks him afterwards or Cole cheats to win turning his back on MJF? Really don't want it to be MJF having seen him do it to Cody Rhodes, Chris Jericho and Sammy Guevara. #FTR vs. Young Bucks III is the biggest AEW World Tag Team Championship match. CM Punk/FTR vs. Kenny Omega/Young Bucks is the biggest match period on the biggest AEW stage ever but I don't think it will. Sting will be in some sort of tag match for sure vs. Darby Allin. Like Zack Sabre Jr to be there. Never got Will Ospreay. Sucks Bryan Danielson and Jamie Batter won't be wrestling. Hope both still show. Saving Saraya for a homecoming vs. Hikaru Shida for the AEW Women's World Championship?

On 8/4/2023 at 2:06 PM, The Natural said:

I'm hoping for FTR vs. Young Bucks providing FTR win. Like Omega vs. Takeshita. LOL at Ospreay vs. Jericho. Think people will be disappointed there's no Omega/Ospreay III. Makes sense to as Ospreay fights before his home country like Omega did in their rematch. I'd rather see Punk vs. Joe then Punk vs. White. Both will be great. Bummed Danielson won't be wrestling.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Fun show. Now that Big Bill is firmly in the embassy they need to pick up Lee Moriarty to further swerves army. Lee was mentioned in the original BCC promo… nothing , has a brief feud with Hook as part of the Firm then that gets dropped. Give him something to do. 

I don’t think the main event loss hurts Ricky, he mainly lost via his own hubris 

Cool to see strat win with The Burke Bridge

was Toni channeling what happened to baby Jane? 

Also Best Friends used “no spooky witches” before and it didn’t work

Edited by zendragon
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Starting to get the idea you don’t like this Punk guy. 

I actually like Punk the wrestler, even if I think he is massively overrated for the past 20 + years and not worth the praise lauded to him.  I enjoyed STarks/Punk, like the CMFTR pairing.  I just think he comes across as a POS person and for all of his "Fuck Hogan" shit, he acts like him.   It just doesn't make sense to me that you have a title holder in ROH dropping the fall twice to him when in my opinion, it's obvious that Joe is far superior in ring.  For everyone that says ROH is faltering, doesn't mean much, having a title holder dropping falls to him once is bad enough, but twice, eh.  Just my opinion. 

• Like 3

On 8/3/2023 at 6:44 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I recall seeing a really bad Holliday singles match in MLW too but don't remember any bad work in tags, and the behind the scenes stuff was always solid. He plays a good rich-kid weasel. 

Holiday has his gimmick and his promo honed to razor sharpness.  The Dynasty was an incredible heel stable.

He had a decent feud with Hammerstone before the cancer diagnosis and he also had some fairly decent matches with Timothy Thatcher, TJP, and Chessman.  He also takes a ginormous assbeating from Mil Muertes when he dropped his illegally obtained IWA Caribbean Heavyweight title.  Holiday also had a good match against Chris Dickenson in Beyond

Richard is in dire need of a good finisher, though.  That suplex neckbreaker thingie he calls the Market Crash does not look like it hurts.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Holiday has his gimmick and his promo honed to razor sharpness.  The Dynasty was an incredible heel stable.

He had a decent feud with Hammerstone before the cancer diagnosis and he also had some fairly decent matches with Timothy Thatcher, TJP, and Chessman.  He also takes a ginormous assbeating from Mil Muertes when he dropped his illegally obtained IWA Caribbean Heavyweight title.  Holiday also had a good match against Chris Dickenson in Beyond

Richard is in dire need of a good finisher, though.  That suplex neckbreaker thingie he calls the Market Crash does not look like it hurts.

I'm interested in seeing this promo you speak of. Holiday seemed to me to be a nice low card heel hand. Somebody you might wanna swap in for Kip Sabian. Curious what angles or segments led you to the feeling that the Dynasty was particularly special? I thought they had chemistry, but their execution, MJF in particular, felt a bit clumsy. 

17 hours ago, AxB said:

Ricky Starks didn’t kick out of the Schoolboy after the three count, he stayed in the pinned position until Punk let him out. Suggesting that it wasn’t a fluke, it was an unbreakable technique.

It’s the little things that matter.

I like this take, but the late arriving 3 count on a simple roll-up was the little thing that unfortunately mattered most, and made for a slightly questionable finish. The post match beating on Steamer was fun. I liked this match, but Starks going 10 plus seems in need of some missing element that still alludes him.  

• Like 1

Fun Rampage this week. The Parking Lot Brawl was relentlessly wonderful, but more so than the match - that set-up!?! Moving the Ring of Honor tapings to the garage of Collision buildings would make the weekly Honor Club show a much more satisfying watch. 

• Like 3