DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 7/19 - 7/24/2023

Dolfan in NYC

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yeah, I wouldn't. 

Sir, I will hear no guff about Chris Masters 2010-2011 Superstars work One of the most underrated TV (or mostly internet TV) runs ever.

Edited by GodzillaPerez
Dammit, it's already quoted
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, GodzillaPerez said:

Sir, I will hear no guff about Chris Masters 2010-20110 Superstars work One of the most underrated TV (or mostly internet TV) runs ever.

The man was killing it for over 18 thousand years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, elizium said:

The man was killing it for over 18 thousand years

Dude I was watching a clip show episode of NWA PowerrR last week that opened with Masters vs. JTG and I thought I had found thee YouTube hidden gem of the week. Turns out the match was a two-year-old rerun. Chris Masters deep cuts transcend space and time.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, GodzillaPerez said:

Also, PAC and Takeshita leaving should have counted as surrender. They literally left the fight.

I hadn't thought of that, but you're right.

I did like that the power of love and friendship decided the match, just like Kenny said. The BCC, Pac, and Takeshita were only united by hate, which wasn't a strong enough bond to keep them together.

• Like 1

The Wargames/ The Match Beyond /Blood and Guts match is a Dusty Rhodes creation, isn't it? When was the last time a member of the Rhodes family was in one? Can't be Dustin in 1992, can it?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GodzillaPerez said:

Also, PAC and Takeshita leaving should have counted as surrender. They literally left the fight. Mox not quitting on camera and Schiavone having to throw that in at the end of the show was bush league.

7 minutes ago, porksweats said:

100%, that was the part that left me most confused about the match.

1 minute ago, tbarrie said:

I did like that the power of love and friendship decided the match, just like Kenny said. The BCC, Pac, and Takeshita were only united by hate, which wasn't a strong enough bond to keep them together.

Yeah, I remember that as a rule.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

The Wargames/ The Match Beyond /Blood and Guts match is a Dusty Rhodes creation, isn't it? When was the last time a member of the Rhodes family was in one? Can't be Dustin in 1992, can it?

Dusty Rhodes and Dustin Rhodes in 1994.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

That's beautiful, man. 

https://youtu.be/y5T96LHnEWw

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

I think leaving the cage area only counted as auto dq in nxt war games. I remember thinking "Wait, is that  new? The first time they mentioned it (I think in the Undisputed Era first match?). For all the ref knew, they could be going to the back and getting new toys. Without the submission or surrender, the match continues. (Although I could see Claudio saying something like "It was bad enough you left, but you couldn't even be arsed to tell the ref you quit, and take that upon yourself, so you left Jon to do it when Yuta was being choked out. You're not only a quitter, you refused to take consequences for your own actions"

• Like 2

So I think Blood & Guts will make a good highlight vid but a mediocre at best actual match. Absurdly too long, the match had a theme (friendship wins) but no real in-match storytelling or build, camerawork was awful, having to explain the finish a few minutes after the fact is never a good sign, Kota reminded me of the times I saw wrestlers try to perform soma'd out of their minds (I don't think he was on drugs, but there is deliberate and there is what Kota was tonight), the post show stuff had the two sides hug it out, very few bled, bed of nails was cool.

Like don't get me wrong, there were cool spots or moments but as a 50 minute thing I think it just didn't work. I hate to say this, but given how people in both WWE and AEW work the match I think the "two men start for 5 minutes, one team member comes out every two minutes thereafter" part probably needs to be retired. I love the classic War Games matches but they were built to end shortly after both teams hit full strength, having 20ish minutes of prelude that quite often aren't really building up much of anything (I'd say the opening 20 minutes tonight basically built up nothing) only to follow it up with a 20+ minute "now the match is on for real" run just isn't working. Just start it 5 on 5 and have a 20-25 minute "submit or surrender" match and it probably works better in the modern context.

...And if I never see that damn "each team lines up in a different ring for a staredown" spot again it'll be too soon.

• Like 6

Honestly, this match was what everyone should have expected given the talent involved and what we know about their work, what kind of weapons they might use, and how much they do or don’t bleed. I had a good time watching it, but also realize there probably aren’t enough guys who want to do the kind of modern War Games I’d really want to see. I just kind of accept this as being what it is and think everyone should adjust their expectations accordingly whenever one of these is booked. And let’s count our blessings that nobody fell off the top.

A shame nobody got Angelo Parker color, but there’s always next year. Or whenever we get another rando Preston Vance gusher out of nowhere. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 8

Without knowing anything else on the show, incredibly funny that MJF and Adam Cole went to Kowloon. That place is a Boston-area legend. It is right outside of the city. The front lobby has pictures of the celebrities who have eaten there and like 75 percent are wrestlers through the years, with the others made up of local broadcasters and Red Auerbach. Truly spot on for a wrestling segment at Kowloon.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I just kind of accept this as being what it is and think everyone should adjust their expectations accordingly

My expectations couldn’t be further adjusted. The chance for PAC vs Claudio on Friday exceeded them though. I thought Page was the play and Omega was the desperate gambit but now it’s PAC, which lets them main event Athena. Just stack the bottom of the card with something goofy like Vikingo vs Suzuki.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I had a good time watching it, but also realize there probably aren’t enough guys who want to do the kind of modern War Games I’d really want to see.

CM Punk, FTR, Jay White, Dustin, Eddie, Mark Briscoe, Danielson...Samoa Joe? 

The Briscoes would've been perfect for it. 😞 

I think Mox could probably get talked down out of the tree of going too long/thumbtacks/glass/nailboards, etc. 

Hell, throw Christian and Jeff Jarrett in there. At least Jarrett has that blonde hair that looks sick all covered in blood. 

Edited by southofheavy
  • Like 2

Since Mark Briscoe is out, let's go with:

CM Punk, FTR, Keith Lee, Dustin vs Samoa Joe, Jay White, Juice Robinson, Powerhouse Hobbs, Ricky Starks

Book it, Uncle Tony.

edit: and one thing that I'd suggest instead of the obvious "Heels always win the toss to have the man advantage", is 5 minutes one v one, and then the #2 wrestlers simultaneously enter, and every three minutes after that one wrestler form each team enters simultaneously.  You'd get that stare off between rivals each time. And no weapons allowed until the Match Beyond.

edit2: If you don't want the BMMSM of Keith Lee and Powerhouse going to town on each other, replace Hobbs with Swerve Strickland.

Edited by SirFozzie

52 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Fuck that. I'll watch Care Bears if I wanna see shit like that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I am just watching now and may be writing thoughts match-by-match. I have not read what anyone else thinks yet. But man the MJF/Cole tag match was absolutely perfect. MJF and Cole doing exaggerated SuperPowers expressions and building to MJF’s dive and rhe double clothesline and etc. Oh and it started with a dance-off. All I ever wanted.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hope that Pac and Takeshita walking out doesn't go unpunished by the BCC.

I'd be perfectly happy with Pac challenging Claudio for the ROH title and either Moxley or Yuta seeking revenge against Takeshita.  

BCC vs Don Callis Family, and probably being sucked into the Jericho vortex is likely now.

26 minutes ago, just drew said:

Fuck that. I'll watch Care Bears if I wanna see shit like that. 

Bryan Danielson wrestling and stretching Care Bears in an ironman match would be some quality TV.

I really do enjoy Elite match stories, even if I don't like all the shenanigans.  I'd love to see Omega and Hangman on a Collision-styled show.

Edited by Jenalysis
  • Like 2

MJF and Cole continues to be the best. The dance off was hilarious, MJF actually doing the tope, his reaction to the theme remix, and of course the ultimate finisher the Double Clothesline! I think I'm officially becoming more a fan of babyface MJF than the heel version, so it's sad to see the inevitable dissension start after the match. Them vs. FTR next week should be excellent though.

Thought Jack Perry vs Hook delivered a pretty good match as well with a super hot crowd for it. 

Enjoyed Blood & Guts all the way through. Not as much blood as would be expected but enough cool spots throughout. I liked the 4 consecutive superplexes, thought for sure we'd get Kenny & Kota hitting the Golden Trigger as part of the finish. Felt like an epic finale to the feud anyway.

• Like 3