DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 7/12 - 7/18/2023

Dolfan in NYC

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

On that...

Reveal hidden contents

Can't be the only one reading the spoiler and automatically hearing Liger's theme.

Believe it or not, the first thing that popped into my head was:

Spoiler

lkwlypwb7sz11.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wow! (Technically) that was FIVE matches and (technically) TWO of them were ladies matches!

(Insert "Scanners" type gif here later)

giphy.gif

I say (technically) because (of course) the Taya match was a literal two-move squash. But, still. At long last, Tony Khan can stop being ashamed of himself!

I will also say this: Valkyrie vs Storm is a *very* Marvel Cinematic Universe type of match-up. 

Similarly, Trentylocks got semi-squashed to set up an interesting-enough match-up for BotB. Actually, it will be *plenty* interesting to see how Orange solves the puzzle of how to overcome Archer's massive size and power advantage.

I was please that Mentallo got a little bit more in the Takeshita version of the Local Wrestler Gets Straight-up Squashed Match than McQueen was given in the Taya version. Cool to see him on AEW TV, however briefly. Ditto for Bambi! (And apparently her sister Liiza got a dark match, also, which is nice).

In addition to the three fun squash(y) matches we got two *really* good TV bouts. 

They are really using Keith Lee like WWWF used to use Andre the Giant. Waiting on the apron for the long-delayed hot tag, then getting cut off before rewarding everyone's patience with a dominating finish. Classic stuff. Love it. Limitless Dust are too much fun together. Long may they tag.

The main event was pretty tremendous. You get the sense that Willow and Athena hate each other, know each other well, are very evenly matched up, and that everything is a struggle and everything hurts. Just first rate pro wrestling, there!

In an ordinary week that would probably be the AEW MOTW, but FTR vs BGC on a LOADED episode of Collision is still to come.

Plus Kento vs Nakajima (AJPW vs NOAH) at Korakuen, Kenny vs Vikingo at TripleMania, and nights one and two of the G1. That's one hell of a pro wrestling weekend!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 6

Meltzer:

Jay White/Juice Robinson vs. Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler. Collison, 8th July. ****3/4.

CM Punk vs. Samoa Joe. Collision, 8th July. ***3/4.

Natural:

Jay White/Juice Robinson vs. Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler. Collison, 8th July. ****3/4.

CM Punk vs. Samoa Joe. Collision, 8th July. ****1/4.

• Like 2

Fun episode. all ways great to see Keith Lee beating up Daddy Magic, Main event was great. Couple of solid semi squashes in between. Why did the outcasts come out? Just so Taya could bagger her into a title shot? and wasn't taya just a heel?

• Like 1

• Parker and Menard working over Dustin in PiP was some great pro wrestling. Likewise the way they're using Keith Lee. I'd love to see Naturally Limitless vs the Lucha Bros at the ROH PPV actually (and Dustin and Keith Lee win). They haven't exactly built up a match for it after all. Alternatively, you could have Keith Lee win the Royal Rampage next week and challenge MJF and have Cole be a bit torn.
  • Taya has no credibility at this point, but sure. I always liked her best with Johnny so maybe they cycle back to that at some point.
  • I'm really looking forward to how they lay out Cassidy vs Archer. Jake/Cassidy interaction sounds really fun too. I would have liked Trent getting one more loop on the finish maybe? Maybe not. It's in almost every AEW match so when it doesn't happen, it makes a guy seem lesser. Maybe that's ok here.
  • I like heel bully Takeshita more than spotty babyface Takeshita. I like how he finished with a move he never won with before too. My ideal Callis family after this show (something believable) is Jericho/Takeshita/Archer/Big Bill/Moriarty. 
  • Main event was great. You could tell it was Jericho's first time seeing Athena's act in a while as he went absolutely nuts for the magic forearm. I loved the early bit where Athena hit the pounce and Willow hit the headscissors takeover. Obviously some top notch legwork and I bought Willow's selling for the most part. Very good that both the forearm and the DVD were held off until the finishing stretch. Shame on the finish as I really wanted to see Ruby vs Athena as a fresher match but there's more story to Willow vs Ruby. It's a shame this got bumped from Collision but at least they got the main event here. Good show.
Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

Despite what the late Rod Roddy used to say, Saturday Morning Rampage remains the true 'most exciiiiiiting hour on television!' Great episode. Archer/Trent and Willow/Athena delivered big time (and agree with Gord huge that Willow/Athena had a MOTW candidate in any other week - and though i'm hyped x 1000 for tonight, I'm not entirely convinced yet it'll be topped, even by Fuck The Revival).

This may be beating a dead horse, because I bet if you go back, I've said this once on every page of this thread: I cannot get enough of Callus/Takeshita right now - and while it may be a small detail to some, I cannot say enough good things about the way Callis wove the Omega issue into his pre-match promo (and WOW - 'Do you know the Japanese word for 'kill?'' is an all-time line). 

On to Collision!

Edit: I was debating whether or not to mention this, but after some reflection, I thought it was not only pretty cool, but really important (plus I think we recently had a couple people have a convo about this framed around a 'Melina vs Alicia Fox' debate): My better half is a Black woman, and this Willow/Athena bout is one of only three occasions in our seven years together that she's asked to rewatch a match immediately after it ended. I'm watching her cheer on the edge of her seat while we finish brunch and it's pretty cool in a very wholesome sort of way (idk if that's the right term I want, or if that's too saccharine, but that's what jumped to mind). So if TK & Co. happen to see this post: wonderful job on the representation, guys - she's gonna be a fan for life. I can see it in her eyes. She's always watched with me, but I think this was her Lex-slamming-Yoko, OMG-I'm-In-Love-With-This moment.

Edit 2: This actually made me realize, holy shit, happy anniversary to me and pro-wrestling! 30 years together this past 4th. 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Edit: I was debating whether or not to mention this, but after some reflection, I thought it was not only pretty cool, but really important (plus I think we recently had a couple people have a convo about this framed around a 'Melina vs Alicia Fox' debate): My better half is a Black woman, and this Willow/Athena bout is one of only three occasions in our seven years together that she's asked to rewatch a match immediately after it ended. I'm watching her cheer on the edge of her seat while we finish brunch and it's pretty cool in a very wholesome sort of way (idk if that's the right term I want, or if that's too saccharine, but that's what jumped to mind). So if TK & Co. happen to see this post: wonderful job on the representation, guys - she's gonna be a fan for life. I can see it in her eyes. She's always watched with me, but I think this was her Lex-slamming-Yoko, OMG-I'm-In-Love-With-This moment.

Edit 2: This actually made me realize, holy shit, happy anniversary to me and pro-wrestling! 30 years together this past 4th. 

Considering we've got a guy upthread mocking people for wanting more representation for women on the show, I'm gonna go with wholesome. That's a cool story and thank you for sharing it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2023 at 9:58 AM, Matt D said:

I’m actually quite excited for Orange Cassidy’s BOTB opponent, but it’s a spoiler. 

Circling back to the topic of spoilers, I was surprised that the description for BotB on my cable listings included the whole card as early as Thursday evening. No respect for Rampage or kayfabe! 

7 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Circling back to the topic of spoilers, I was surprised that the description for BotB on my cable listings included the whole card as early as Thursday evening. No respect for Rampage or kayfabe! 

No one outside this board has any respect for Rampage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

ROH or Collision spoilers, nobody is sure yet:

Spoiler

Utami Hayashishita is backstage and is expected to work a match tonight, but no word on which show.

EDIT: it was at the ROH tapings. Goddamnit TK.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

ROH or Collision spoilers, nobody is sure yet:

Reveal hidden contents

Utami Hayashishita is backstage and is expected to work a match tonight, but no word on which show.

EDIT: it was at the ROH tapings. Goddamnit TK.

Either way, if true

lebron-james-fist-pump.gif

• Like 1

That was a tag team match Meltzer would have a hard time not giving Five Stars based on
his CVV interview.  They had the crowd, they built to a climax that wasn't very predictable, just wow.
Once you heard "5 Minutes" remaining, you just knew they would go with the time limit draw, 
but they swerved us with a clean finish.  I'm starting to get Brian Pillman vibes from Juice
Robinson, it was subtle at first, and I'm getting more of a vibe the more I see him.

Ricky Starks is waaaay better as a heel imo, and planting the seeds for him eventually 
returning to his roots was well done against CM Punk, who is as polarizing as ever.  
Punk with the right move, he did not need this Owen Cup, and Starks absolutely needed it.

• Like 5

Tag match was amazing, Willow match was decent, Punk match blew

Can't believe Liger flew over for a 20 second appearance

David Benoit enjoying himself at ringside was cool

Nigel channeling Heenan at the end of the tag match and frantically trying to call out the remaining time to the heels was great

Ian/Nigel vs. Kevin/Nigel is going to be a big debate in the coming days - pros and cons to both

Edited by Dolphman 3000

FTR vs. Jay White/Juice Robinson is the third longest match in AEW history:

3. FTR vs. Jay White/Juice Robinson. Collison, 15th July 2023. 58:03.

2. Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. Dynamite, 15th December 2021. 60:00.

1. MJF vs. Bryan Danielson. Revolution, 5th March 2023. 65:15.

Posting this now as I'm having internet issues.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Tag match was amazing, Willow match was decent, Punk match blew

Can't believe Liger flew over for a 20 second appearance

A 20 second appearance mostly remembered for Ricky Starks completely no selling him with the trophy 🤣

• Like 1

Nothing cuter in wrestling these days than Christian patting Luchasaurus on the head when he wants off his shoulders.

Ian Riccaboni put Kevin Kelly in the trash. Nigel can't stop saying 'be that as it may'

Really good night of wrestling

• Like 3