DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 6/28 - 7/4/2023

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, zendragon said:

the pain maker really not supposed to be cringe? I mean Jericho’s such an over the top doofus the rest of the time he’s on tv we can really be supposed to take this seriously 

I go back and forth on this. Believe me, I'd like to agree and say that Jericho is savvy enough to be doing this as a clever way to get more of an 'eyeroll' type heat --  but I think I have to agree with whoever it was earlier in the week who said here that he treats it as seriously as Foley taking off the Mankind mask and revealing the Cactus shirt on an early '00 Smackdown in the build to one of those great HHH matches. The promo with Sammy/Renee sure didnt seem to have any tongue in its cheek to my ears, YMMV

• Like 1

Tried watching Dynamite from the couch after week's last night shift. Didn't get far (the start of the OC-trios match) before being fast asleep. What are the actual odds that the match that we were supposed to get would have been any better than Ishii vs Mox ended up being? That match was insane! The Eddie stuff added layers on top of the brutality, too!

I may have set myself up for some Steiner math references the way my rethorical question was set up just then, but the match was worth it.

Oh, and while this should probably go to the gaming section, I got my nephew the Fight Forever Elite edition via Steam, just like I promised him late last year or something. I hope it's a good game.

Edited by Shartnado
The AEW Fight Forever game
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Shartnado said:

What are the actual odds that the match that we were supposed to get would have been any better than Ishii vs Mox ended up being?

That's sort of an interesting thought in this context, because going back to the SUPER mixed reactions to the 'convulsing' sell by Danielson at the PPV, I think there would have been a LOT of butthole clenching, wincing, and feelings of dread re: a potential dumbass headbutt spot (at least from me) just based on history, without the sell even happening (since obviously he didn't break the arm in this hypothetical)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That's sort of an interesting thought in this context, because going back to the SUPER mixed reactions to the 'convulsing' sell by Danielson at the PPV, I think there would have been a LOT of butthole clenching, wincing, and feelings of dread re: a potential dumbass headbutt spot (at least from me) just based on history, without the sell even happening (since obviously he didn't break the arm in this hypothetical)

On 6/29/2023 at 2:59 PM, The Natural said:

Man, I don't like the butting of heads spot done by Jon Moxley and Tomohiro Ishii. Look at what happened to Katsuyori Shibata, Bryan Danielson and Nigel McGuinness. I was scared Ishii and Danielson was going to do just that but Danielson broke his arm vs. Kazuchika Okada at Forbidden Door so the match didn't happen.

With you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I go back and forth on this. Believe me, I'd like to agree and say that Jericho is savvy enough to be doing this as a clever way to get more of an 'eyeroll' type heat --  but I think I have to agree with whoever it was earlier in the week who said here that he treats it as seriously as Foley taking off the Mankind mask and revealing the Cactus shirt on an early '00 Smackdown in the build to one of those great HHH matches. The promo with Sammy/Renee sure didnt seem to have any tongue in its cheek to my ears, YMMV

Either way The Painmaker needs to start using Jazz Odessy as his theme

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Gordlow said:

You are right! I think I was conflating him with Tyler Breeze. 

That definitely adds an extra layer of interest to the match. It's not gonna be Punk in Chicago or Bret in Calgary... But will Spears get a decent "hometown" pop? I actually hadn't even considered that. 

Did Iron Mike Sharpe get big pops in Hamilton? Henry O. Godwinn, in Bitters, Arkansas? Sid, in Anywhere He Darn Well Pleases?

And: Oh! The humanity! If Spears does get booed (or worse, if there's no heat on him either way).

It's one more point in favour of watching the show. 

Butcher/Blade are Buffalo guys, so there is I suppose a bit of a 'Battle of the Peace Bridge' thing going on. 

Also: apropos of nothing, your post made me think of whomever it was here who made the brilliant 'why did they add the R?' joke on Spears' 'HEA(R)TLESS' shirt. I actually really like Spears, but id be lying if I said I don't think about that nearly every time he's on-screen

• Like 1

There are two problems with the "Pain Maker."

1. The name itself sucks. "Rain Maker" sounds cool, but is overused across media, and there's a pretty established guy that's been using it for a while. Pain Maker sounds like something a 10 year old would come up with for backyard trampoline wrestling. This would make it a good name if the gimmick was supposed to be ironic, but when it's supposed to be serious escalation, it falls flat.

2. The presentation isn't different enough from his regular appearance. Finn Balor spends hours getting elaborate paint jobs to be the demon. Jericho smears a couple streaks on his face. Music is basically the same, no special entrance. Doesn't have a long history of winning or extreme stunts to give the fans a reason to expect something different than any other Jericho match.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

2. The presentation isn't different enough from his regular appearance. Finn Balor spends hours getting elaborate paint jobs to be the demon. Jericho smears a couple streaks on his face. Music is basically the same, no special entrance. Doesn't have a long history of winning or extreme stunts to give the fans a reason to expect something different than any other Jericho match.

This was my problem with Joker Sting in TNA - cool look, good backstage promos, but once he got in front of the crowd it was the same old Sting match

6 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Oh, and while this should probably go to the gaming section, I got my nephew the Fight Forever Elite edition via Steam, just like I promised him late last year or something. I hope it's a good game.

There's a thread in there going called 'Rasslin' Video Games' where we've been BSing about it, but for visibility sake I'll repost what I put there yesterday and just now:

6/29:

I pre-ordered the Elite edition, and while I've had a great time with doing couch 1v1s so far, even I, as an AEW diehard have to admit: this was in no way worth the $71.99 price point. The groundwork is there for a good game, but it's extremely bare bones as things stand currently. 

Candidly, I don't think the No Mercy comparisons were good ones; I think that's a bit of wishful thinking folks had based on the art style. No Mercy had more depth and match variety. Hoping that stuff comes later via DLC - but it kinda sucks there's no cage match, no backstage area to brawl through, that sort of thing. And the CAW and CAA suites are BARE. If you're into that kind of thing like I am, prepare to be disappointed.

IMO this is closer to to the WCW vs. The World/World Tour/Revenge trilogy where they're still sort of laying the framework for what came after with WM2K and No Mercy - whether that's through DLC or a sequel, who knows, but I'm finding it lacking so far. There's just... Not a lot to do. Idk how else to say it. So far we've been picking it up for an hour here or there, but there's just kinda not a lot to actually sink time into so far other than the story mode and the various challenges - but the XP you gain from them goes toward the shop, which doesn't quite have a lot yet. It just needed a little more time to bake - would have been a great $40 demo to spread the word about the show and full release

6/30 (maybe ten min ago):

I played again for a bit, and I'm just so bummed out right now, man. I wanted to like this so much, but even for the throwback experience they were going for, there's just way, way too much missing. I hope this Stadium Stampede BR thing is cool at least, whenever that comes. But God damn, I cannot overstate it, what a swing and a miss (for me personally - if you're digging it, no offense intended at all). And again I stress: gameplay is pretty good, local 1v1s are super fun... but that's literally all this game has going for it as of today. I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed (and bored. Really, really bored. Wayne-Campbell-I-once-thought-I-had-mono-for-a-year bored).

Edit: I know I was a bit negative, but if you're getting it for a kid just to do 1v1 locally together, you'll probably have a blast tbh

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

The Nick Gage match was under the Painmaker gimmick. That had a fair few extreme stunts in it.

Did it seen weird to anyone else that the ROH title match was the opener? I love that AEW generally starts with a banger, but that surprised me.

The match at times reminded me of the 2019 New Japan Cup match between Ospreay and Archer that is one of the best matches I have seen live. Speed and athleticism vs power, executed at a VERY high level. Impressive and enjoyable.

I guess I can see how you maybe wouldn't want to end the show with that finish.

I briefly considered just turning off my tablet after that match was over, because the rest of the card wasn't nearly as appealing to me on paper. 

Good Guy Shawn Spears in his Bret gear got a more than decent reaction from his hometown crowd. I felt happy for him. 

Also, @Zakk, who do you think came up with that joke? 😀

Pretty good match as well. Worth sticking around for, certainly.

I liked Brother Zay's gear.

Nice that the ladies got the main event slot! DMD vs Thunder and Shida vs Hayter have set a VERY high bar. Shida's Dynamite main event match is one of my all time favourites (check Natural's thread if you don't believe me). This match? Not so much.

I think I have figured out my issue with Taya in AEW, at least: She is WAY more sizzle than steak. Blonde hair, huge boobs, great gear, polished and professional presentation; but the actual wrestling is... OK at best, sloppy and ill-timed at worst. And her facial expressions are terrible.

Enjoyed Shida's selling.

And: Hey! Strong vs Joe on Collision tomorrow! And DUSTIN vs HOBBS!!!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3

I feel like they're missing a trick with the Moxley-Kingston-Claudio stuff.

There's no real good kayfabe reason for Eddie to hate Claudio, and they're doing their best to tiptoe around "he didn't put me over in Chikara ten years ago". 

Eddie thinks Mox is blind to Claudio being a scumbag. Yet this is never really fleshed out. Something small like Claudio making faces at him over Mox's shoulder instead of just staring blankly in the background in segments. Why not tease that there is something going on, and that Mox is blind to it? That Claudio is a scumbag and maybe him and Yuta are going to fuck over Moxley, maybe it's Eddie being Eddie. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

There's no real good kayfabe reason for Eddie to hate Claudio, and they're doing their best to tiptoe around "he didn't put me over in Chikara ten years ago". 

“After all we went through and how hard he pushed me, he promised to fight me one last time, clean, after cheating to beat me. But he got dollar signs his eyes and ran towards fame and fortune instead!” works pretty well for me?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I feel like they're missing a trick with the Moxley-Kingston-Claudio stuff.

Eddie thinks Mox is blind to Claudio being a scumbag. Yet this is never really fleshed out. Something small like Claudio making faces at him over Mox's shoulder instead of just staring blankly in the background in segments. Why not tease that there is something going on, and that Mox is blind to it? That Claudio is a scumbag and maybe him and Yuta are going to fuck over Moxley, maybe it's Eddie being Eddie. 

This reminded me how after Moxley-Ishii, Kingston kept going "See you didn't need them to win". How often does Mox depend on the BCC to win matches?  I've never seen it. It's weird and I hate it when wrestling companies try to gaslight you like this.

• Like 2

Rampage was a solid show tonight. Everything was good and fun. Morphing QTV into MNM 2.0, I guess that's one thing you can do with them. The imitation TMZ schtick was just bad.

The show is basically entering its Sunday Night Heat/Velocity/latter-era Saturday Night/Worldwide stages, but the match quality was good, and we got to see some names who don't normally get a lot of match time lately.

• Like 1

I kept thinking the G1 started in August, forgot it's July. So in addition to Blood and Guts, that would take Kingston out of Death Before Dishonor as well. 

Solid Rampage. Claudio/Komander ruled, loved the shooting star from the rail and the nice KO finish. Spears/Blade definitely reminded me of Worldwide. Love to see Shida get the main event win. Wondering if they're actually going to get back around to Matt Hardy ending up turning Ethan Page face after all, that was the direction I was hoping they'd go before when it seemed they were starting to get along more. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mystman said:

This reminded me how after Moxley-Ishii, Kingston kept going "See you didn't need them to win". How often does Mox depend on the BCC to win matches?  I've never seen it. It's weird and I hate it when wrestling companies try to gaslight you like this.

Claudio and Yuta had started to interfere in the match before Kingston came out. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Log said:

Claudio and Yuta had started to interfere in the match before Kingston came out. 

No they didn't. They hovered over Ishii, but they never laid a hand on him.

The BCC have always been presented as overly violent tough guys, not conniving heels who have to cheat to win. That's really my point.

25 years ago you could make a lot of money in Mexico with Claudio as your monster gringo rudo basing for the flashy young flyers. I love when he steps away from BCC and has matches like these. Komander hit so many ridiculous moves, not just the spectacular high flying stuff but the wacky lucha arm drag and wrap around the body sequences. Sure, there were a couple of times where Claudio had to stand around waiting for a spot, but the last 5 minutes was so fluid. Probable free TV match of the week.

Spears-Blade was perfectly generic and forgettable, could’ve watched on 2x and not missed anything.

I can’t imagine having to sit through that QTV entrance live. If AEW is convinced they have something with Harley Cameron, they’re sure not doing a good job of giving her something compelling. The match itself was fine, Johnny TV has some twisty movez that he hits at about 95% accuracy, QT is who he is, a perfectly cromulent wrestler and heat magnet (even if it’s mostly the go away kind). Hardy can’t fully bend his knees and moves at half speed but this was one of his better recent showings. Isiah has a ton of potential but not sure they have anything real for him in AEW. Did I enjoy this? No. Did I hate it? No.

Shida-Taya was way better than I was expecting. I’m mostly with Gordlow on Taya but she did a good job working the leg, especially during PiP, and in general she was fine as a cocky monster heel and took some bumps. Shida’s corner punches are bad but the rest of her strikes were good. Finish worked to give Shida a win without burying Taya.

• Like 3