DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 6/28 - 7/4/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Man, AEW's had some bad table breaks. Matt Hardy knocked unconscious vs. Sammy Guevara but stupidly the match continues which still pisses me off now, Julia Hart's was one of the worst ever with her head smacking the concrete and what happened to Sting here.

I don't want to be that guy and I know it was after the show but was the side of the ring behind the hard cam that empty?   

Wish Keith Lee would have kept the beard.  Sure it makes him look about 30 years older than he actually is but thought it looked cool.  

Tony, you cannot do a "random" draw tournament and give us TWO teams of guys who are actively feuding.  You're putting a hat on what's already a pretty ridiculous hat.

With Danielson being out I'm curious who the BCC's fifth will be for bloody guts.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

FzwVGLyWIAAUMHO?format=jpg&name=small

FzxSwucXsAYAW91?format=jpg&name=small

Look, all I'm saying is when you eventually end O.C.'s singles title run, give these guys a Dungeon and Dragons campaign theme team name, a trios title shot and see what weird shit they can come up with.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 2

Man, I don't like the butting of heads spot done by Jon Moxley and Tomohiro Ishii. Look at what happened to Katsuyori Shibata, Bryan Danielson and Nigel McGuinness. I was scared Ishii and Danielson was going to do just that but Danielson broke his arm vs. Kazuchika Okada at Forbidden Door so the match didn't happen.

22 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

With Danielson being out I'm curious who the BCC's fifth will be for bloody guts.

Good question. Not that it would be a letdown or anything, but I'd be sort of surprised if they with Umino again. Id love if they used that spot to elevate someone like a Powerhouse Hobbs, or if they could somehow finagle getting Jungle Boy/Hook involved - maybe Omega stays back to sell the toll of the Osprey match, and you add Hook to the Kingston/Elite team. What about Callis bringing in Miro as a hired mercenary for the BCC side? That could have legs. 'HE'S GODLESS SCHIAVONE, YOU THINK HE FEARS A CAGE?'

My impression, based on nothing but my own speculation and who was in the ring for the B&G announcement was that it may be 4-on-4 this time. Bucks/Hangman/Kingston vs. Mox/Claudio/Yuta/Takeshita. I'd love to be wrong and see some fresh faces in there, though.

• Like 7

Feels like it would be weird to leave Omega out.  Plus the whole thing about Omega going over to Japan for backup which they haven't paid off yet.  Is there a heel tag team that would make sense on the BCC side?  I'm drawing a blank.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Log said:

My impression, based on nothing but my own speculation and who was in the ring for the B&G announcement was that it may be 4-on-4 this time. Bucks/Hangman/Kingston vs. Mox/Claudio/Yuta/Takeshita. I'd love to be wrong and see some fresh faces in there, though.

Yea this was my assumption too, no other reason for Eddie to run out just to get beat up except to have all eight in the ring to establish who the participants would be. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You've gotta give him this -- his promo wasn't great, but the flat sprint and the dive into the vehicle he did was impeccable.  

I say they should do that again in a few months, but have Taz hiding on the other side of the SUV, he opens the door on his side, and JB sails all the way through the vehicle and onto the floor. Then beatings ensue.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Eh, I am like 70% less interested in bubba gump if Eddie won't be in it.

I think Keith Lee got his bell rung on the spot where he was supposed to catch Vikingo's dive.  He looked a little off the rest of the match.  He did a pretty good job of shaking it off and finishing the spot, though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I think Keith Lee got his bell rung on the spot where he was supposed to catch Vikingo's dive.  He looked a little off the rest of the match.  He did a pretty good job of shaking it off and finishing the spot, though.

Not sure if he was too far away or Vikingo came up short but Lee barely even broke Vikingo's fall and he almost landed on his head and neck.

11 minutes ago, EVA said:

Eddie is, in fact, booked vs. EVIL on the 19th.

19th here is the 18th there,though. And he's not scheduled to fight again until the 23rd here. So he could very well be planning to fly back and participate in a brutal bloody cage war between G1 bouts. I actually kind of hope that isn't the plan. That would seem to be pushing himself extremely hard. Taking extra damage in the middle of a notoriously brutal tournament seems crazy. Participating in Blood and Guts and subsequently fighting Henare while suffering from jet lag does NOT sound like fun.

I think that is probably the plan, though. Right?

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Hard agree. Don't get me wrong, the 4v4 configuration should be cool and all, but B&G should be the final boss of all matches, and as such, this thing (at least in my mind) requires Mox and Kingston face to face. After he hurt his ankle the one year (I think the same one Santana was hurt in) I was hoping to see him get the standing tall, closing shot. 

Unless, maybe in service of the video game being out (I've got some THOUGHTS on that, which I'll share later) they'll try to pull of another exploding barbed wire match. That's the only one I could see being touted as more 'brutal' than B&G, and given the finish of the Omega/Mox match (I mean the literal finish with Kingston trying to save Mox, not the roman candles) it would make a whole lot of narrative sense here (especially with Eddie's brilliant line yesterday, 'No one kicks your ass but me!')

• Like 2

I wouldn't have any problem with the blind tag concept if they had a GM or TV matchmaker, so not Tony, just outright say that if you're a dick, he's going to team you up with someone you're not going to like. If you're cool, then expect someone you normally wouldn't team with, but you'll probably at least not want to kill them.

Instead, saying it's random is hilarious considering the teams so far. 

Rest of Dynamite was good and wild. Considering BCC are heels, it'd make more sense to have Moxley and BCC as a team come out to Moxley's NJPW music, like they did on Sunday. 

I also completely missed who Vikingo was diving at or the camera missed it, but either way, when I watched it, it looked like he was intentionally diving at Lee. Then I had a pretty good laugh at Lee using Vikingo as a weapon.

Didn't get to see the end of the main event because YTTV stopped recording. Although, when that's happened in the past, I can go back a day later and the ending will be there. It would just be nice to manually set a stop time of 10:10 pm for the recording, but YTTV does it by the show you select and then relies on their software/AI/whatever to determine when it stops.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I wouldn't have any problem with the blind tag concept if they had a GM or TV matchmaker, so not Tony, just outright say that if you're a dick, he's going to team you up with someone you're not going to like. If you're cool, then expect someone you normally wouldn't team with, but you'll probably at least not want to kill them.

Instead, saying it's random is hilarious considering the teams so far. 

Rest of Dynamite was good and wild. Considering BCC are heels, it'd make more sense to have Moxley and BCC as a team come out to Moxley's NJPW music, like they did on Sunday. 

I also completely missed who Vikingo was diving at or the camera missed it, but either way, when I watched it, it looked like he was intentionally diving at Lee. Then I had a pretty good laugh at Lee using Vikingo as a weapon.

Didn't get to see the end of the main event because YTTV stopped recording. Although, when that's happened in the past, I can go back a day later and the ending will be there. It would just be nice to manually set a stop time of 10:10 pm for the recording, but YTTV does it by the show you select and then relies on their software/AI/whatever to determine when it stops.

No bullshit, I was thinking the same thing about your first paragraph re: someone putting that across. I was even thinking, theres gotta be a way you could somehow retcon it to indicate that when Schiavone and City were doing the bingo machine gimmick, it was fixed and they were just doing said person's bidding. 

Edit: what about Schiavone being the guy, now that Cole is a babyface, and the commentary team is pretty open about hating MJF's guts? Nothing crazy, just a quick couple seconds where we 'walk in on' Schiavone telling Cole 'Hey, don't worry about it buddy, I owed you one. Get that smug little prick when he least expects it'

Also re: YTTV - I've never had that problem because we usually start at 9 while the shows still airing and FF through commercials, so it's really just a delayed version of linear TNT -  I think the easiest move for now might be to just DVR The Cube/Young Shelton just in case. Not sure what plan you've got or if this is for everyone, but our DVR is unlimited so I record anything I'm even remotely interested in. I've got like 45 episodes of WOW I haven't touched yet, and I still record NXT even though I haven't watched it since week 3 of AEW, for example.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

Regrets, I've had a few. Crazy seeing Sting not just wrestle but especially doing hardcore spots as we thought his career was over after what happened vs. Seth Rollins at Night of Champions 2015. Glad Sting's going out on his own terms.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1