DVDVR Message Board

Ring of Honor - 2023

Matt D

91 Bash??? More like the 89 Bash, this was one of the best shows I have ever been to and believe me I've been to quite a few. Seriously if you didn't see it get the replay, it was AWESOME.

• Like 2

The idea of PAC vs Claudio should be worth the FITE price tag alone. This match has happened in NXT (house show) and was featured on Best of NXT DVD and showed in clipped form on a year end (?) episode of NXT tv. I saw that and always wanted to to see the full version. Granted, PAC wrestles somewhat differently now than he did as (Adrian) Neville, but this should still be a hell of a match! I may watch the PPV later on this evening, but first, we are off to see Barbie.

• Like 3

I'm playing some catch up

• Woods vs Williams: Just an excellent pure match. Great use of the rope breaks. Everything was gritty. I want to see both of these guys against Shibata.
  • Andretti/Martin vs Workhorsemen: Super basing from Drake. Some very ambitious stuff from Andretti and Martin and Henry worked well too.
  • Hirsch vs Adora: Nice competitive chain wrestling. Some really sneaky heel stuff out of Hirsch. I'd probably have an Athena/Hirsch alliance playing off of how damn short they are.
  • Taylor vs Fox: It's criminal that Taylor's not getting a push. I knew Fox was going over due to the match vs Cassidy but Taylor isn't a guy who should be losing often at all. He's imposing. Hits hard. Can go. He should be protected! And look at how he took Fox's implosion dive. Crazy. Anyway, Fox has a great connection with the crowd and I loved his post match celebration, but Taylor is money waiting to happen.

I jumped right to the main. The finishing stretch was awesome. The ROH tribute bit bothered me because whenever you have two wrestlers mutually doing things outside the norm, it takes you out of the match. The logic of this is that one of the wrestlers had to realize that the other wrestler had hit a tribute spot and then, in the moment, had to decide to start hitting some on their own, escalating all the way to the Obliteration which is a really contrived move to hit. If this had been built up more in the pre-match package, something about Willow saying she was going to look to ROH wrestlers of the past for guidance and help and Athena said that she represented ROH and that she would own everything about the former wrestlers, then it might have worked, but as it is, it really stretches credulity on a character level, which is the biggest sin you can ever commit in a wrestling match.

This match felt "Bigger" but I actually think the first ROH match between the two was probably better.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

Impossible not to think of DEAN when you get a match like Athena v Willow. Both ladies beat the piss out of each other and bumped like Cactus. It wasn’t perfect but it was fucking GREAT.

Damned good wrasslin’ show; breezed by, great crowd and never quit on entertaining. 

• Like 7

Zero Hour was great and made me feel like I need to find time to keep up with ROH.

Josh Woods is someone who really could/should be in the Pure and World title scenes. Maybe he’s not a talker but he has the look and the skills. Hot Sauce has a great role as someone who is a stepping stone jobber who will always keep his heat.

I did not really need to see JD Drake in trunks but had a very 80s feel of one of those strong fat southern dudes who would rock trunks because that’s just what you wore. Huge pop for his moonsault. I’d like to see a more realistic ROH tag scene where a team like Workhorsemen get legit title shots. Andretti getting Drake in the rack was really impressive. Hearing them say Dante is ahead of schedule was cool, ready for Top Flight to be back and getting their belts.

Hirsch-Adora way exceeded expectations. Fun, competitive bout.

Main was great, Shane Taylor is built like an NFL right guard and was a fantastic base for Fox’s flying. Fox is super smooth with his moveset. Part of my is thinking that Fox and Taylor would be a fun tag team, maybe against someone like Aussie Open.

• Like 4

Despite the lackluster build this was a great show that's worth checking out.

Shane Taylor has really come into his own since he and Keith Lee parted ways. I had hoped he would go over Castle last week as I would like to see he and Joe have a hoss-off, but the TV title match we got was great in and off itself. I've always been a fan of Castle but I wonder if his back is too messed up and his gimmick is just too suited to ROH to play on the main roster.

If Willow is going to AEW or Japan full time then Trish Adora needs to be built up as Athena's next challenger. Her match last week against Utami was fantastic and she did really well against Leila too. She's got the charisma and in ring skills to be the face of the women's division.

The tag title match was looking like just another clusterfuck but it really started working towards the end.

Claudio/Pac was fantastic but I could have done without the distraction finish.

• Like 4

Athena

• Athena was emotional at the start of the interview, saying in her career she had never had a main event on a pay-per-view until Saturday. She said that it meant so much for her to be given that opportunity as she felt that both she and Willow Nightingale earned something. She said that the sky’s the limit as to what is next and that she is open to all challengers.
  • When it was mentioned by Jon Alba that two African American women headlined Friday’s show, Athena said that representation is key. She remembers being the only African American woman on indie shows she would be on. She said that she wanted to inspire everyone of all races.
  • She said that they felt tonight that they’ve made the statement that they are not going anywhere. Tony Khan said they earned the position of being in the main event, citing their ROH match. He thought there was potential for a great trilogy. He said that Death Before Dishonor was one of the best shows they’ve ever done.
  • Corey Lieb pointed out that there were a lot of “love letters” during her match, and asked if she would like to face Giulia. Athena said that she did. She then shouted out some former ROH star names including MsChif, Sara del Rey, Alexis Laree (Mickie James), Daffney, Allison Danger, Sumie Sakai, and Daizee Haze, among others. She said that they inspired her to become more than just a pretty face and that those women don’t get enough credit.
  • She mentioned names such as Kairi Sane, Mayu Iwatani, and Guilia as potential opponents in the future.
  • Like 2

I got all the way up to the six man title match, also watching all of Zero Hour prior to the real show. Does all of this add up to like 9-10 hours of material to get through in one week? Dynamite, ROH "tv", Rampage, Zero Hour, PPV, Collision? It's even more than that! Holy crap!

Anyway, the PPV opener was a very good, innovative, exciting lucha match, during which my spoiled ass could only be thinking: "Nooooo, Bandido vs Vikingo is a sufficient PPV opening match for ROH!"

Joe vs Castle was good, the ending was in no doubt, but Castle had a decent showing.

The 4-way tag ended up being a blast, but I thought that it was going to be an elimination match, which would have been even better. The team I wanted to see win actually won, so that was a bonus.

This is about as far as I got so far, but noticed that Brian Cage no longer had a taped up arm, so I'm glad he's fine. Was waiting for Cage-Ruffin exchanges, but didn't see any yet. That should look pretty unique, no? ...yes it did. Decent match.

Pure title was between Shibata and Garcia, so I tried what I could, but it was naptime. Shibata retained, which wasn't super surprising.

Fight Without Honor ended up being very brutal, I was still drifting in and out of consciousness during the beginning but the end stages were at least some intense stuff. Dark Order is indeed on a bit of a roll, here!

I really appreciate the fact that every time PAC goes AWOL for a bit, he takes the time to come back even more jacked than before! His back thickness and sides of his thighs were just crazy! Hell of a match, and THAT Ricola Bomb I can buy as a finisher, thank you!

The main event was fantastic. Wild stuff, with another heartbreaking finish with the popular face coming up short. Ending was good too, but Athena blindsided Willow after the show of respect and went back to gloating about it, what a meanie!

Edited by Shartnado
More thoughts
  • Like 3

An incredibly poor build to a way way way overachieving ppv. No FTR-Briscoes, but that was easily the most consistent and enjoyable TK-ROH PPV yet. Even the Zero Hour was great, and blew away any of the recent 'TVs'. I'd kinda soured on this product after seeing Live the inadequate attemps to garner a crowd for the tapings. Specifically the unclear taping start info, and especially the truly poor attempts to keep a crowd post Collision. It gave off a feeling like 'why should I care if they don't?' Combine all that with a run of too much Dark-esque TV for a subscription price. All that said, this PPV completely won me back over. Williams-Woods and Fox-Taylor from the Zero Hour (but all 4 matches), and the incredible run of bouts on the main show. Kudos to Athena-Willow for following that incredible Pac-Claudio match and making their choice for 'Main Event' completely worthy. Fucking awesome! 

So I'll keep my Honor Club subscription, but... it certainly would be more attractive if these PPVs were PLEs. 

• Like 4

Tony was asked on the post-DBD media scrum about going back to Universal tapings, he said he'd be open to it but he really likes having the ROH crew travel with the Collision crew now, saying it provides a mix of veterans and young talents and implied that it would allow for some talents to appear on both shows, mentioning Action Andretti & Darius Martin working the PPV then Collision the next night.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Log said:

Do they not tape ROH before Collision? I only ask because I have tickets for Collision next month and the start time is listed as 6. 

They tend to tape some before and some after. They've also been doing one totally dark match with a guy like Hobbs.

Here's next week's taping, by the way:

Spoiler
  • Trish Adora vs Vita VonStarr
  • Leyla Hirsch vs B3CCA
  • ROH Six-Man Tag Team Champions Mogul Embassy (Brian Cage, Toa Liona & Bishop Kaun) vs The Iron Savages (Boulder & Bronson) & JT Davidson
  • The Renegade Twins (Charlette Renegade & Robyn Renegade) vs JC Storm & Tiara James
  • Zack Clayton vs KM
  • ROH Women’s Champion Athena vs Christina Marie
  • The Kingdom vs Tracy Williams & Rhett Titus
  • Christopher Daniels vs JD Drake
  • Big Bill & Lee Moriarty vs Gabriel Hunter & Adrian Soriano
  • Tony Nese vs Cheeseburger
  • Gravity vs Anthony Henry
  • Shane Taylor vs Serpentico
  • Dalton Castle & The Boys vs The Trustbusters (Silm J, Sonny Kiss, and Ari Daivari)

It's definitely a ROH show, and nothing stands out as necessarily great, but so much of it stands out as fun. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tiara James

is very green, but is absolutely a star for the future. Probably the most beautiful woman to have ever been in Wrestling.

Okay, no more waiting, my star ratings are in for ROHDBD2023.

Hot Sauce v Josh Woods * * * 3/4
Hot Sauce Tracey Williams is a top candidate for the most underrated professional wrestler in 2023. One wonders what 10 more minutes of this would have provided? At least another star, yeah?

Andretti/Martin v WorkHorsemen * * * * 
Again, what would 10 more minutes have provided? Two more stars? I am particularly impressed with the skillset of Action Andretti and Darius Martin. JD Drake's big bellied physique may not be best suited for short tights, but he still looked a lot better than those hideous teal etc singlets he's been wearing.

Leyla Hirsh v Trish Adora * * 
Leyla's looking great. Not quite with the Adora fandom or 'Adora-tion', but she's improving. I wonder if maybe dropping the dollar in the garter stripper bullshit might be a good idea? Tho, I'm sure there must be some logical reason why she presents like that?

Shane Taylor v AR Fox * * * * 1/4
Goddamn, get Shane Taylor out of the spandex, into a loose fitting cargo pant (not unlike AR) and make him the biggest star in the company. Presentation is the only lacking part of this incredible package. Dude is a beast. AR Fox is clearly awesome. OC V AR is certainly something to look forward to.

Gravity v Komander * * * 1/2
There seemed to be some worry that Komander was a one trick pony. This motherfucker is unreal. Gravity has some goofy shit to shed before he steps up to the next rung. He also needs to tighten shit up. But still, pretty impressive lil Bandido bro.

Samoa Joe v Dalton Castle * * * 1/2
Nice little bout. Glad to see Castle get a solid outing on P Per V.

Aussie Open v Luchas v Kingdom v Best Frenz * * * *
Very poor reign from the excellent Lucha Bros. Curious where that ranks on the all time worst ROH tag title runs? I was pulling for the Kingdom. Maria is a stunning heel beauty. All together now: Aussie, Aussie, Aussie - Bring on FTR! God bless Trent Beretta. If one day they decide to give Trent a big upset World Title win I would 'back that play'.  

Panted Cage/Gates v Ruffin/Wato/Taguchi * * * *
If Hot Sauce isn't the most underrated wrestler than Leon Ruffin is. I fucking love Leon Ruffin. They should absolutely push him. 

Shibata v Garcia * * * *1/4
Shibata fucking rules. And Garcia never ceases to impress. I've never seen a pre-injury Shibata match. What do you recommend?

Stu/Righteous v Dark Order * * * * 1/4
Stu putting his arms up as a sacrifice to set-up the finish was a bit strange, but I liked it. I loved this match. 

Claudio v PAC * * * * * MOTYC
Two of my favorite wrestlers in 2023 full throttle. The press slam table spot was awesome. The finish was a bit dumb, but I'm throwing a blind eye. 

Athena v Willow * * * * 1/2 
I was happy for them to get the slot, but worried about them following this incredible run of matches. I liked this match all the way thru, but when they started cooking this was so fun. I had no idea they were paying tribute to ROH Women of the past. To be honest, I don't think I saw more than a couple ROH Women's matches pre-TK purchase, so I wouldn't have any idea who they were paying tribute to. Whatever the case this match was far superior to their slightly overrated HonorClub bout. I would've liked a title switch, but I suspect there's plans for Willow's rise on Turner broadcasting. Was this the ROH/AEW Women's match of the year? I feel like I must be forgetting a Toni Storm or Jamie Hayter match?

Sidenote: star ratings feel lazy, but I feel like they nicely expressed my enjoyment factor. Sometimes I see that MOTYC acronym and think 'does that mean you like something so much that you'll go back and rewatch the match?' I feel like there's too much weekly wrestling to rewatch even the best matches. Tho, I did rewatch and love the Friedman v Danielson Ironman bout. I've been planning to go back to the Omega v Ospreay Forbidden Door match, but all the weekly wrestling is burning out my interest in seeing anything other than the current shows. Not a complaint.  

• Like 3

On 7/24/2023 at 2:51 PM, Matt D said:

They tend to tape some before and some after. They've also been doing one totally dark match with a guy like Hobbs.

Reveal hidden contents
  • Leyla Hirsch vs B3CCA
  • ROH Six-Man Tag Team Champions Mogul Embassy (Brian Cage, Toa Liona & Bishop Kaun) vs The Iron Savages (Boulder & Bronson) & JT Davidson
  • The Renegade Twins (Charlette Renegade & Robyn Renegade) vs JC Storm & Tiara James
  • Zack Clayton vs KM
  • Dalton Castle & The Boys vs The Trustbusters (Silm J, Sonny Kiss, and Ari Daivari)

It's definitely a ROH show, and nothing stands out as necessarily great, but so much of it stands out as fun. 

Early last week: man, ROH TV kinda sucks.  I think I'll let it lapse and maybe get Fite+

Thursday night: this isn't so bad, maybe I'll see if TV gets better after the PPV

Today: Holy shit this is seriously just paywalled AEW Dark WTF Tony

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2023 at 2:51 PM, Matt D said:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Leyla Hirsch vs B3CCA
  • Zack Clayton vs KM

Hmm, is that the best way to capitalize on the momentum of a fanfuckintastic p per v? Tho...

Spoiler

Kingdom v Titus and Fucking Hot AwesomeSauce is a MOTW candidate. And Slim J is back!

A Zack Clayton singles bout may not be so much for me, but I'm certainly happy for @Dreambroken !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Lots of shorter matches this week but enjoyable and actually a longer overall episode. Always dig Trish Adora & Leyla in their competitive squashes. Vita looked good against Adora. Also love seeing the Renegades back, it's been awhile for them. 

Josh Woods vs Shibata sounds like a great time, looking forward to that next week. Rhett Titus back in action after his run as security on Collision last week. 

Athena's killer as always. thought "Courageous" Christina Marie looked great for the 2-3 minutes she lasted. 

Nice wins for Daniels, Shane Taylor squash, Big Bill in the tag squash. I'm enjoying Gravity's unique offense. 

Fun little 5 minute trios main event. Dalton cutting a promo to the camera on the way to the ring is great. The corner dodging exchange with Dalton and Sonny was amusing. 

Sadly, the Zack Clayton vs KM match did NOT air 😞 hopefully throw it on another week. 

• Like 2

This week's show looks pretty good actually:

• Infantry vs Comoroto/Johl
  • R.Renegade vs Christina Marie
  • Boys vs Gates of Agony
  • Shane Taylor vs Christopher Daniels
  • Shibata (c) vs Woods
  • Cole Karter vs LSG
  • Leyla Hirsch vs Miranda Violette
  • Aussie Open (c) vs Iron Savages
  • Athena (c) vs Diamante
  • Zack Clayton vs Dalton Castle
  • Gravity vs Tony Nese
  • Workhorsemen vs Komander/Vikingo

This feels almost as strong as some of the early tapings.

• Like 1