DVDVR Message Board

Ring of Honor - 2023

Matt D

9 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Bully Ray teased on his radio show recently that he might promote a non-canon ROH reunion show like what Hardcore Homecoming was to ECW One Night Stand

There's definitely blood in the water

Curious as to who would even be at that show. Everyone important is either in WWE, AEW, or retired. I don't know if Bobby Fish, Delirious, and appearances by Paul London and Jimmy Jacobs really sell a show.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, elizium said:

Curious as to who would even be at that show. Everyone important is either in WWE, AEW, or retired. I don't know if Bobby Fish, Delirious, and appearances by Paul London and Jimmy Jacobs really sell a show.

All I ask is they bring in the Ring Crew Express

• Like 2

1 minute ago, elizium said:

Former ROH title holders not signed anywhere but still active:

Low Ki, Austin Aries, Homicide, Michael Elgin, Amazing Red, Dan Maff, HC Loc, Tony DeVito, Charlie Haas, Bobby Fish, Marty Scurll, John Walters, Sumie Sakai, Kelly Klein, Tyler Bateman

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, elizium said:

Jacobs works for AEW as a producer now

15 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Low Ki, Austin Aries, Homicide, Michael Elgin, Amazing Red, Dan Maff, HC Loc, Tony DeVito, Charlie Haas, Bobby Fish, Marty Scurll, John Walters, Sumie Sakai, Kelly Klein, Tyler Bateman

Bully running a show with Aries, Elgin and Scuril would be so on brand for him.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

I think that makes my point

13 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I don't know about all that.  AEW proper builds programs long term.  Their last PPV headlined with MJF vs the other pillars and BCC vs Elite, and both of those were built for more than two weeks (I admit MJF/Pillars was a garbled mess but the four were at least in the mix together with each other for a good while).  Now if you're just talking about ROH, I absolutely agree.

The top two matches had been built up to for the last AEW PPV, I will concede on those two. Although neither was officially "booked" or announced until two weeks out. The rest of the card was announced the week of the last PPV. So maybe I should have clarified better what I had meant about the long term build / promotion.

If your PPV cycle is 3 months between events (roughly) it is unacceptable (to me at least anyway) to announce 80% of your card within the week of the event. I had assumed and hoped that having 3 months would allow them to announce things a month out. Or even two months out. Not for everything but a decent portion of them. Then you get two months of them doing angles based around the matches already booked. Two months of the match getting a hard sell on TV. Two months of UFC style quick cut video packages. So when I said promoted and built to, that's what I meant. You get enough time to build anticipation and make the matches feel bigger than any match you announce the week of that way.

Otherwise I definitely don't understand the quarterly PPV concept. If you're not going to use that extra time to your advantage, why do you even have it? And that may be moot if the rumor of a monthly PPV cycle being pushed n them by WBD is true.

• Like 1

To steal a point from the guy who does the Observer ROH tv write-ups, having a TV show that doesn't effectively build to your PPV is one thing... but to have that be the case for a show behind a paywall is especially nuts. If it is gonna feel like the show itself is thrown together at the last minute the argument as to why to pay and watch the tv outside the few weeks beforehand isn't very compelling.

• Like 2

Thought followed by a question: I have a feeling that the ppv is being downplayed/not promoted because it's on a Friday night head up against Rampage which likely doesn't please WBD. Question: Why is the show on Friday and not Sunday so that wouldn't be an issue?

But Bully Ray's in enough with IMPACT management that he'd probably be able to get some combination of Gresham, PCO, Shelley, Sabin, Purrazzo... enough to build a one-off card around. 

Edited by John E. Dynamite

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

But Bully Ray's in enough with IMPACT management that he'd probably be able to get some combination of Gresham, PCO, Shelley, Sabin, Purrazzo... enough to build a one-off card around. 

With an emphasis on first-time matchups, this is what I came up with:

An Honorable Reunion

Pre-show: Delirious vs. Bully Ray

LAX (Hernandez and Homicide) vs. The American Wolves

Jack Evans vs. Amazing Red vs. Lio Rush

Falls Count Anywhere: PCO vs. Michael Elgin

Deonna Purrazzo vs. Angelina Love

Low Ki vs. Moose

Pure Rules: Charlie Haas vs. Jonathan Gresham

2 out of 3 Falls: Austin Aries vs. Kushida

Ladder War: Motor City Machine Guns vs. Brian Kendrick and Paul London

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 3

ROH has no value as an ongoing brand now. It really serves no purpose other than AEW signed way too many people and ROH is getting their runoff and the guys they have no place to put on cable right now. It's good they secured the tape library and all, but they clearly didn't have a plan for the brand when they bought it, and they still don't. 

They have a PPV in a week, and there isn't even a single confirmed match yet. Tony Khan has spread himself thin and doesn't have time to run and book ROH and five hours+ of cable TV a week.

He needs to put someone else completely in charge in ROH and let them do it for him. He can still sign off on things, but this current setup is not working. Time to make some hard decisions with ROH. 

3 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

With an emphasis on first-time matchups, this is what I came up with:

An Honorable Reunion

Pre-show: Delirious vs. Bully Ray

LAX (Hernandez and Homicide) vs. The American Wolves

Jack Evans vs. Amazing Red vs. Lio Rush

Falls Count Anywhere: PCO vs. Michael Elgin

Deonna Purrazzo vs. Angelina Love

Low Ki vs. Moose

Pure Rules: Charlie Haas vs. Jonathan Gresham

2 out of 3 Falls: Austin Aries vs. Kushida

Ladder War: Motor City Machine Guns vs. Brian Kendrick and Paul London

That would be a show I'd probably buy. 

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

ROH has no value as an ongoing brand now. It really serves no purpose other than AEW signed way too many people and ROH is getting their runoff and the guys they have no place to put on cable right now. It's good they secured the tape library and all, but they clearly didn't have a plan for the brand when they bought it, and they still don't. 

They have a PPV in a week, and there isn't even a single confirmed match yet. Tony Khan has spread himself thin and doesn't have time to run and book ROH and five hours+ of cable TV a week.

He needs to put someone else completely in charge in ROH and let them do it for him. He can still sign off on things, but this current setup is not working. Time to make some hard decisions with ROH. 

There is one confirmed match for the upcoming ppv. Claudio Castagnoli vs. Mark Briscoe for the ROH World title.

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

Thought followed by a question: I have a feeling that the ppv is being downplayed/not promoted because it's on a Friday night head up against Rampage which likely doesn't please WBD. Question: Why is the show on Friday and not Sunday so that wouldn't be an issue?

I wouldn't think that'd be it since Supercard of Honor (this year and last year) were also Fridays, but no idea of the logistics behind it since last year's DBD and Final Battle were Saturdays.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There is one confirmed match for the upcoming ppv. Claudio Castagnoli vs. Mark Briscoe for the ROH World title.

Mark is out with a knee injury, so they are waiting until after Dynamite to announce Claudio's opponent.

They did put up a post-match angle video after Rampage of Willow/Athena where Willow says after the Owen Cup, maybe she'll come after Athena's title too so that looks set. Other than that the only other match is Samoa Joe defending the TV against the winner of Dalton Castle vs. Shane Taylor on next week's ROH.

• Like 2

I almost always enjoy ROH more than the tapings would indicate that I will. I'm almost always glad I watch it. I think it has a purpose. I wish ol' Vile would find something more rewarding and enjoyable to do with his time. That said, there's a lot of room for improvement. They never recaptured the feel of the first couple of sets of Tapings, and even those lacked forward momentum.

Overall, though, it's wrestling for the sake of wrestling. It's a good thing that I really like wrestling, huh?

• Like 2

Double Post but I'm trying to think what a viable card even could be right now. Something reasonable and possible based on injuries, the G1, where the TV's been leading. This is all really rough but they're in a rough spot.

• ROH World Title: Claudio vs Hangman Page: Builds off the current feud. Feels fresh. Feels big. Feels like a worthwhile replacement. Is a guy with ROH ties.
  • ROH World Title: Athena vs Willow: Not my first choice but it seems to be where they're going. Some sort of gimmick maybe? (I Quit? Ladder).
  • ROH Tag Titles: Lucha Bros vs LFI (Dralistico/Vance): Dralistico and Vance have picked up wins on TV. There's the mask stealing bit by Vance. It's not my first choice but it seems possible and a little fresh. I'd put LFI over but I'd literally put over any two wrestlers on the roster to get the belts of the Lucha Bros. They're such a drag on the division since they're never there.
  • ROH TV Title: Samoa Joe vs Shane Taylor: Dalton Castle feels like a safer choice and it'd be a fresh, fun match with a face and a heel but Taylor vs Joe feels so much more interesting as a match-up.
  • ROH Pure Title: Shibata vs Garcia: They've been building it even if it's been quiet for a bit. In a perfect world, this would have been Danielson vs Shibata but what are you going to do?
  • ROH Six-Man Titles: Embassy vs... I don't know? Toss Acclaimed/Gunn here maybe for an attraction? Go with Komander/Vikingo/Gringo Loco? They've paid off all the possible combos they built to on TV. There are just no good choices. Maybe Chuck/TRENT/Rocky?
  • Righteous/Stu vs Dark Order (Fight Without Honor): play it up as rudo vs rudo like Infernales against Intocables or Bucaneros or whatever.
  • If we don't use Vikingo above, maybe Vikingo vs Takeshita? I'd be ok with Vikingo vs Big Bill too.
  • Ibushi vs Yuta: Feels like a big deal (to have Ibushi's first singles match) that might draw the PPV and build off the feud but doesn't give away too much that you need elsewhere.

Pre-Show:

• Dalton Castle vs JD Drake
  • Nick Wayne vs Anthony Henry
  • Leyla Hirsch vs Diamante vs Lady Frost
  • Kingdom/Nese/Woods/Davari vs AR Fox/Andretti/Martin/Infantry

It's rough but I think realistic and hopefully Tony has some better surprises, but they've barely built anything on TV! I have no idea what better surprises could even be at this point.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That list of folks is just further proof that Homicide needs to be hired by AEW. Poor dude. 

Claudio issuing an open challenge due to Mark's injury and Homicide showing up wouldn't be the worst idea that could happen.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Claudio issuing an open challenge due to Mark's injury and Papa Briscoe showing up wouldn't be the worst idea that could happen.

Or...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3