DVDVR Message Board

Ring of Honor - 2023

Matt D

I try not to read any comments about Final Battle, as I only got until the end of Lee vs Shane Taylor (did watch the entire Zero Hour as well).

Outrunners tried their best and even tried to play Freebirds for the Von Erichs, but it wasn't too great. Ross' timing seemed off, despite him looking in fantastic shape. Marshall with his more conservative move set looked better in ring-wise. Still, nice to see Von Erichs in a bigger stage.

Taya Valkyrie looked amazing as usual. Her wrestling was ok.

Jack Cartwheel lived up to his name and then some! Awesome showing, although Bounty Hunter prevailed.

Garcia vs Blake Christian was a great surprise andca really exciting match. Blake does not look like he could be as exciting inside the ring as he is. He surprises me every time out there!

Holy shit was Vikingo vs Taurus every bit as awesome as I wanted it to be. Some spots took too long but both men gave it their all!

Six man tag title match was good and got better by the end. Bad Dude Tito looked a lot like Adam Bomb/Wrath, and fuck you, I mean that as a compliment! Nicholls could have taken young boys' spot and we could have had new champions, but the kid got splattered after a good showing.

Nyla vs Vertvixen was a match. Nyla could even have ended the match earlier and chose not to. Ok, then.

Survival of the fittest was crazy by the end. I was shocked Dalton was eliminated so early, but my other pick prevailed. The match was way better than I expected.

The I quit match had many cool surprises and told a good story with a couple big bumps. I figured they would take this opportunity to pull off a good match, but this was better than I thought it would be.

...forgot that I also saw the Pure title match. Wheeler being a total shit and Lawlor was on the ropes during the pinfall! Kicks to the nads for everyone after the match. Hook needs to end this guy!

Lee vs Taylor was intense and had a few huge moves maybe not a decade in a making match, but definitely worth seeing.

That's it so far, but for the price of monthly subscription, this was awesome so far. In fact, Vikingo vs Taurus was worth that price on its own.

Edited by Shartnado
The Pure title match, too!
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Since they seemingly have one women’s match every TV show, that belt should be defended every episode. 😀

Might be worth watching the show before posting. I’m not sure there’s been a single episode that has had only one women’s match. Set your aim on WBD not the bookerman.

• Like 1

Ok, now I finished the whole thing! Wow, the Briscoe Tribute Fight was good, but they really tured it up once the Honor was out the window, then it became insane! They had me there, when FTR was trapped and Briscoe in a choke. The correct ending with Mark getting the pin. I guess it was a big deal for Bryan to get to do this for Mark. Finally a big win for him again!

Eddie vs Anthony was intense, and a good showing by Anthony. Strong win for Eddie, but he sure needed than one as a confidence builder.

The main event was awesome. It slowed down for a bit there in the middle but towards the end it got heated af. The kick out at 1 is usually a last burst of defiant energy and I had a bad feeling about Billie's chances after that. She hung on for a while after that and got some good shots in, but in the end Athena was too much for her at this stage. At least she seemingly won over Athena's respect in the end.

Ok, now Taya and Nyla are the next obvious challengers for Athena, so maybe she will mellow out a bit due to the wonderful influence of Billie and Lexi?

Yeah, this show rocked all kinds of I don't even know what!?

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 10:50 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Despite technical difficulties, we had a real good time on the Discord watching last night. All the matches felt like they had something different to offer. I wasn't a fan of Vikingo having all these long setups and balance botches either, but Black Taurus fucking destroyed him when he was in control. It was like a bunch of '90s All Japan finishing run offense. Also, I didn't know the mouth on his mask moved so that was extra cool. The multi-man tag was bizarre (I still don't think I understand the rules) and probably the least of the matches, if we're talking main card. I missed the Taya and Von Erichs matches; Jack Cartwheel and Blake Christian are... not ready for prime time, to put it nicely. This card also felt like there was a bunch of angle blow-offs, all done well. 

Thanks for sticking with it, dude.  I had to laugh that Discord itself would crap out as the show was about to start but was happy to see those who checked it out.

Since then I feel it's only right to stream the ROH shows every Thursday from now on.  I love ROH and I feel if more saw what they're doing the more they'd find to love about it as well.  So why not let's fucking do it.

The preshow rocked and I only saw the Jay tribute match and the main.  Both were fucking awesome and the main ended like I hoped it would.  And Mark crying post-match got me misty at the end but man what a tribute that was.  I'll catch the other stuff at some point but I'm very happy with what I saw so far.

Instead of posting again I'll just add something here.  I am indeed going through with the streaming on Thursdays so as a one-time reminder if you want to check it out (please do, it's great!) then here you go.  https://discord.gg/qz3KYM4kDr

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

Decided to get more out of Honor Club and randomly chose Best in the World 2018 and started watching. Let's see where this goes? Getting Hangman vs Damien Priest and Bucks vs Briscoes is enough to get my attention!

So far both of those matches definitely delivered and Austin Aries vs Kenny King as well as Jay Lethal vs Kushida were very entertaining too!

Matt Jackson kicked out of Jay Driller on a steel chair... c'mon! But Super Red Neck Boogie was enough to put him down.

Edited by Shartnado
yeah, they were good!
  • Like 3

Great to get one more dose of Von Erichs! Thought their match here vs the Work Horsemen was one of their best showings. Would like to see them continue past just this Texas run.

Nice 5 minute Athena match, Maya World looked good still being in her rookie year.  Solid match from Dante and Lee Johnson. Gates of Agony vs Blake/Willie was fun.  Good to see some Archer/Righteous trios action. 

Enjoyed Taya vs Vertvixen, glad Vert got to get some offense in.  Rachael vs Charlette Renegade was good stuff and continued the angle with Maria and Leyla.  Interested to see who becomes the first women's TV Champ.

The weekly multi man tag of Darius/Andretti v Outrunners v Infantry was fun with all three teams looking pretty good. Entertaining 8 man with Dalton/Boys/Gravity vs SAP/Griff/Karter

Main event delivers the goods as usual from Vikingo/Komander vs Gringo Loco/Jack Cartwheel 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Adding a new ROH title is the last thing Tony Khan should be doing now, and it's merely going to consist of the women who can't get booked on Dynamite and Collision.

If it helps, it’s going to have a more positive effect upon my life than you do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

He probably thinks "well it'll give them something to fight over". He's right. I see no harm. I mean everyone in this company already has a spot to get a belt like it's a participation medal anyway so why not. 

I watched the Von Erichs vs. Great Kabuki + Magic Dragon tag match that Schneider posted in his Ringer article on the Von Erichs the other day and boy, those kids sure do wrestle like the older brothers. Struggle with the heels cutting off the ring, big hot tag, stiff work, enraged guy with no shoes on. Marshall also has a bee-autiful moonsault. 

Didn't catch everything (man did that lady screaming in the crowd turn me off) but the best match was probably the Proving Ground match actually. Maya World had a solid and competitive match with Athena. 

Re: that promo, Dalton dude... we know you're upset but you need to lose your dealer's number for awhile. 

• Like 3

Watching Final Battle 2017. Started with Matt Taven vs Will Ospreay. Seeing Taven get a clean pin on Ospreay is something that probably will not happen again!

The Addiction vs War Machine is a pretty cool dream match about two years before it became a dream match.

Best Friends vs Motor City Machine Guns was really entertaining.

4-way elimination match for the TV title was Action packed between Shane Taylor, Kenny King, Punishment Martinez and Silas Young. Ok, so this is where The Last Real Man won the title. They have mentioned that on ROH TV.

Hung Bucks vs Flip, Titan and Dragon Lee was crazy shit!

I enjoyed The Briscoes vs Bully Ray and Tommy Dreamer street fight a lot!

Dalton Castle vs Cody Rhodes was very good match, weird to see pre-back injury Castle. He took a nasty bump on the stairs down the ramp. I wonder if that was what caused the injury in the first place? I have to say I prefer his I Want it All instrumental to the current Radio Ga-ga one.

Yeah, really good show. I guess I'll work my way backwards to the more classic era, but wanted to check out The Elite/NJPW era before getting to 2005-7 stuff.

Edited by Shartnado
watched it all

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

He probably thinks "well it'll give them something to fight over". He's right. I see no harm. I mean everyone in this company already has a spot to get a belt like it's a participation medal anyway so why not. 

I watched the Von Erichs vs. Great Kabuki + Magic Dragon tag match that Schneider posted in his Ringer article on the Von Erichs the other day and boy, those kids sure do wrestle like the older brothers. Struggle with the heels cutting off the ring, big hot tag, stiff work, enraged guy with no shoes on. Marshall also has a bee-autiful moonsault. 

Didn't catch everything (man did that lady screaming in the crowd turn me off) but the best match was probably the Proving Ground match actually. Maya World had a solid and competitive match with Athena. 

Re: that promo, Dalton dude... we know you're upset but you need to lose your dealer's number for awhile. 

The harm is the lack of identity for ROH, and the ROH brand diluting AEW because they don't know what to do with it.

2 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

And having your main male ROH champions not even appear in ROH once... 

Well, Kingston has been a regular performer, but the sentiment is correct. The Jacksons and Hanger won the Trios and never appeared. The rotten decision to keep the Tag titles on MJF solo, who will never appear, is one of the more irrating booking choices. As Champion, if they wisely had him cutting some live promos on the Honorclub show it would be a huge boost. Why the fuck not? It would also be a reasonable and nice boost to just vacate the titles and have a tournament. Just please no more 8 way title bout scrambles. Nor Battle Royals. Had to add that in case anyone's looming. If the shitty Devil angle results next Wednesday in a proper pair of ROH Tag Champions, whom will appear on Honorclub, I'd be pleased

• Like 1

Slightly shorter episode this week at just over an hour. Quick Nyla squash to open. Zak Zodiac Knight looked good in his first appearance. 

Sadly no Stranglehold (or Kevin) on HonorClub, but good to see the Von Erichs & Bryan Keith again in action, this got the most time.

Fun little trios match from Taya & The Renegades vs Kiera/Adora/Frost. Short, but everyone looked good. Great little backstage seg setting up Mercedes/Diamante vs Rachael/Leyla, definitely down for that. Fletcher vs. Willie Mack also sounds good.

Billie Starkz vs Vertvixen was too short but good while it lasted between two favs.  Solid quick main event from Ethan vs Johnny TV to further the Johnny/Dalton feud. 

"I think it’s just the love of pro wrestling that truly keeps me going,” Billie Starkz said (per Wrestling Inc). “I love wrestling more than anything else in my life. I gave away my entire childhood for pro wrestling because I didn’t care about anything else. I lost so many friends to do what I love.”

She continued, “I wanted this dream more than anything else. I wanted to be a professional wrestler, no matter what. I have four fake teeth; I’ve split my head open twice. I will do anything to be successful in this business, and I don’t care what it takes. I think that’s what you have to do if you want to be successful as a professional wrestler, no matter your age."

This shit bummed me out so hard

Edited by Godfrey
  • Sad 1

So can anyone explain what the Triple Crown Title means for AEW/ROH's World Title? Will titles still be defended separately? Is the Continental title simply a ceremonial title? Is it basically like the Double Gold in NJPW where the champion just basically holds both belts and defends all belts at once whenever they are defended until a new singular title is made?

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

So can anyone explain what the Triple Crown Title means for AEW/ROH's World Title? Will titles still be defended separately? Is the Continental title simply a ceremonial title? Is it basically like the Double Gold in NJPW where the champion just basically holds both belts and defends all belts at once whenever they are defended until a new singular title is made?

I think we’re all still learning what it means. Hopefully we get great matches out of it. 

• Like 1

Terrific ROH related AEWTV video package to begin. Nyla v Lion was a strong squash. I'd like to see a little more of Lion. She did great work making Nyla look like a Beast. Neat to see Nyla getting a babyface run in ROH. Zak Knight v Avalon was a nice little surprise. Pretty decent showing for Knight. Huge splash from Pretty Peter. Very nice Women's TV contenders package. It's nice to see some production going into these shows. Good Billie Starks promo with her gal pals. Bryan Keith/Von Erichs v Iron Savages had some awfully clumsy moments. Not a high voter on the Savages' sexual taunts nor their juice gimmick. Ugh, just send these huge dudes to Japan and stop wasting them in this sex-comedy gimmick. The Von Erichs need a whole lotta reps. A lot a lot. This was a complete waste of Keith. Griff/Karter/Angelico/Serpentico promo wasn't particularly good, but it was a nice try. Am I mistaken or does Karter not seem to have much to offer in ring or on the mic? I'm pulling for Griff to figure out his game and get back on cable television in 2024. Taya/Renegades v Frost/Kiera/Adora was viewed on skim mode. Leyla/Rachel/Diamante/Mercedes promo was kinda fun. Tony Nese squash was pretty solid. Excellent Mark Sterling promo pre-match. Billie Starks v Vertvixen was fine. Billie playing sorta-heel is maybe something I need to warm to. Kyle Fletcher/Willie Mack promo was fucking excellent. Fun trash talk from Mack. The highlight of the show. Looking forward to Kyle v Willie. Ethan Page v Johnny TV was a solid outting for both. The finish was blatantly taken from the McWWE Creative handbook. I'd love to see them do some promos for some of the matches at hand. Page v Johnny, in particular, the 'Main Event', could have used a modicum of steam. Enjoyable show. I really liked seeing the production efforts here. Some nice video packages and a good amount of promos. It's great seeing Lexi Nair with such confidence.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1