DVDVR Message Board

Ring of Honor - 2023

Matt D

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Eddie Kingston only has two WINS on PPV on AEW.

• Lost to Moxley at Full Gear 2020
  • With Moxley, lost to the Young Bucks at Double or Nothing 2021
  • Lost to Miro at All Out 2021
  • Lost to Punk at Full Gear 2021
  • Beat Jericho at Revolution 2022
  • Beat Ishii at All Out 2022 (pre-show, not PPV)
  • Beat Akiyama at Full Gear 2022 (pre-show, not PPV)
  • Won the ten-person tag at Forbidden Door 2023

The only loss I truly disagree with here was him and Mox losing to the Bucks....They 100% should've had a tag title run.

Hindsight booking, I would've had Eddie go over Miro for the TNT title, freeing Miro up to be the Monster heel challenger to Hangman(winning the belt from him as opposed to CM Punk), and then you could've segued the whole House of Black/Miro feud into Malakai Black taking the title off of Miro.

That's my fantasy booking for the day.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

The only loss I truly disagree with here was him and Mox losing to the Bucks....They 100% should've had a tag title run.

Hindsight booking, I would've had Eddie go over Miro for the TNT title, freeing Miro up to be the Monster heel challenger to Hangman(winning the belt from him as opposed to CM Punk), and then you could've segued the whole House of Black/Miro feud into Malakai Black taking the title off of Miro.

That's my fantasy booking for the day.

Always felt Eddie Kingston should have beat Miro at All Out 2021 or Grand Slam Dynamite 2021. Tony Khan messed up.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AxB said:

Eddie Kingston only has two WINS on PPV on AEW.

• Lost to Moxley at Full Gear 2020
  • With Moxley, lost to the Young Bucks at Double or Nothing 2021
  • Lost to Miro at All Out 2021
  • Lost to Punk at Full Gear 2021
  • Beat Jericho at Revolution 2022
  • Beat Ishii at All Out 2022 (pre-show, not PPV)
  • Beat Akiyama at Full Gear 2022 (pre-show, not PPV)
  • Won the ten-person tag at Forbidden Door 2023

Kingston ain't got nothing on the saddest stat in AEW history. Trent Barretta is 0-13 in title matches on AEW shows.

EDIT: and although Eddie's 0-7 is one of the worst ones it's not as bad as Ethan Page's 0-8 (two on house show vs. HOOK), Chuck Taylor's 0-9 or Dante Martin's 0-10. He's also tied with Isiah Kassdy and Anna Jay(also with two house show losses). If you want to turn this into a listicle I think Marq Quen and Emi Sakura are 0-6. This counts the Jericho Cruise and maybe ROH.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Sad 2

On 7/7/2023 at 8:12 AM, hammerva said:

The major problem I have with Mark Briscoe vs Claudio is that I am not overly confident that he will win the title.

A good note to point out here is Blood & Guts is two days before the PPV. I think it's very likely they give Claudio an out being all beat up and bloodied. I would say there's at least a 75% chance Mark wins here. You can't keep people paying for the PPVs if you do non-stop uncomfortable losses for people's favorites. Eddie & Mark both lost last show and really deflated things. I would think that was done in service to giving Mark the ultimate big one here, while still protecting Claudio.

• Like 5

Still playing catch up:

- Athena’s forearm came at such a great angle.

- The Briscoe three way was really fun. JD Drake is always great and Nese is always fully committed to the bit.

- That was one of Claudio’s best speaking bits ever.

A little bit shorter episode of Honor this week. Some fun squashes from BIG Bill, Athena, and Legit Leyla. Digging Big Bill's theme.

Two solid matches in the middle from Dalton vs. Nese and Shane Taylor vs Shawn Dean. Taylor/Dean was my fav match of the night, actually thought it could've gone either way coming off the Infantry's win over the Kingdom. But glad to see Shane get a win, him vs Dalton next week to see who challenges Joe for the TV at Death Before Dishonor should be a blast.

Trios title main event was a lot of fun. There wasn't a big build and Darius Martin seemingly has different partners every week but Sydal's hope spots had me wanting a random title change for the hell of it. Loved Sydal's counters of the Drillclaw, first with a rana and then a small package out of the great dive catch by Cage, before ultimately getting hit by it for the finish. 

With Death Before Dishonor losing it's main event, it seems the entire card will have to be put together the week of the show. They mentioned Athena's challenger would depend on the Owen Cup so I'm guessing Willow gets another shot there while Claudio's opponent will be addressed after Blood & Guts is over.

Yikes with Briscoe out wonder who gets the title match. Maybe they shoot an angle in the cage and Ibushi gets it? I have literal zero idea here.

Gonna sound a little old man yelling at clouds here, but one of the things I was hopeful for in AEW as an alternative was a company that wouldn't be sloppily throwing together PPVs a week or two beforehand like WWE had gotten used to doing in the 2010s. But that's all AEW does anymore. AEW PPVs. ROH PPVs. Doesn't matter how much time they have, they just don't believe in building to and promoting long term stories. It's a bummer. This PPV is one of the most thrown together ones yet. The original world title match announced two weeks out. No other matches set and promoted.

It's like the structure of things is built on the fact that they just assume everyone will get every PPV. So why announce and promote and build things up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Tony just announced that Mark Briscoe is injured and will not be cleared for Death Before Dishonor. Damn.

They will address Claudio's opponent next week.

Fuck. Get well soon, Mark Briscoe.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Yikes with Briscoe out wonder who gets the title match. Maybe they shoot an angle in the cage and Ibushi gets it? I have literal zero idea here.

Gonna sound a little old man yelling at clouds here, but one of the things I was hopeful for in AEW as an alternative was a company that wouldn't be sloppily throwing together PPVs a week or two beforehand like WWE had gotten used to doing in the 2010s. But that's all AEW does anymore. AEW PPVs. ROH PPVs. Doesn't matter how much time they have, they just don't believe in building to and promoting long term stories. It's a bummer. This PPV is one of the most thrown together ones yet. The original world title match announced two weeks out. No other matches set and promoted.

It's like the structure of things is built on the fact that they just assume everyone will get every PPV. So why announce and promote and build things up.

I don't know about all that.  AEW proper builds programs long term.  Their last PPV headlined with MJF vs the other pillars and BCC vs Elite, and both of those were built for more than two weeks (I admit MJF/Pillars was a garbled mess but the four were at least in the mix together with each other for a good while).  Now if you're just talking about ROH, I absolutely agree.  I think a major part of this is having Claudio as champion.  ROH finds itself booked around Athena and the Embassy because their world champion is in a top angle in AEW.  Not to mention the Lucha Bros haven't even defended the tag titles on ROH TV since winning them.  So that's two ROH world titles essentially out of commission on their TV, so you can't write stories involving them.  Meanwhile their TV champ was a focal point of the Owen tournament angle so that belt got short shrift in the "buildup" (lack thereof) to this PPV as well.  Throwing together a FOUR MAN TOURNAMENT two weeks out is garbage.   Annnnnnd the Pure title is on a guy who doesn't even work there. 

Put the damn belts on people who can actually work on ROH TV.  I understand the idea of building around bigger stars and using that as a lure to get AEW viewers watching ROH but is that really happening? 

I get it that ROH is TK's ideal promotion for booking the way he did as a kid, and without network interference, but it's clear he either doesn't have the time to do it well or he's restricting himself by putting too much AEW talent in too many key spots in ROH.  Not having a world title match for a PPV you're expecting people to open their wallets for, when you had three months to build something, is insane.   I'm really considering dropping Honor Club for a while because this is a mess.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

I haven't been keeping up and am waiting until after my move to sign up, but even still I've been wondering about their three main men's belts being on people who are mostly part of the main roster or another promotion. And Athena is also in the women's Owen Hart tournament.

I've been wondering whether Tony is going to give up on the experiment since it seems as if they're not getting a streaming deal anytime soon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I've been wondering whether Tony is going to give up on the experiment since it seems as if they're not getting a streaming deal anytime soon.

Bully Ray teased on his radio show recently that he might promote a non-canon ROH reunion show like what Hardcore Homecoming was to ECW One Night Stand

There's definitely blood in the water

To me, when ROH started (or IMMEDIATELY after the first PPV), Final Battle was...

• Eddie beating Claudio
  • Mark beating Joe
  • Top Flight winning the tag titles
  • Willow beating Athena

But I don't entirely think that was Tony's vision.

Obviously, everything's off the rails now. Even if things had gone exactly how they were supposed to, I really wasn't feeling the Briscoe build, even if he was a guy who consistently won on ROH TV and was the most logical choice for a title shot. The "Finish the Story" for him was beating Joe for the TV belt, not somehow leveling up to beat Claudio. Now, if they had Joe come out like a troll and pull the rug out under him during the Claudio match infuriating both Eddie and Briscoe in the process or something, I would have loved that. You almost would have needed Hero or someone to make the save after that though because you couldn't end a PPV that way.

Now, Tony thinks like a fan a lot of the times. He thinks like an EWR booker. But he also thinks like a fan. He has to be acutely aware that this PPV is in a dire place with the only current match up being either Castle or Taylor vs Joe (which is a good, fun, fresh match either way, but can't carry a PPV). Presumably Garcia vs Shibata is on the card too? Also a good match. Also can't come close to carrying a PPV.

As such he's probably going to stack it somehow, but even that feels a little tough so close to Forbidden Door. One thing I'd do, if I was Tony, would be to have CM Punk as the third guy on commentary with Ian and Caprice. It'd be a sign of good will from Punk with a bunch of guys he's sharing a locker room (as ROH is taped with Collision) now, that he's actively supporting them.

But it's all pretty dire.

• Like 4