DVDVR Message Board

February 2023 Wrestling Discussion

29 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

don't we know by now that every wrestling journalist is a fraud except for wrestling's only real journalist, Mark Madd----

nevermind

I am surprised that Boni Blackstone wasn't renamed Miss Kay Fabe during that brief cup of coffee in WWF. Given they replaced her with Reo Rodgers for all of 3 weeks, that type of shit seems right up there alley. Plus, her whole schtick was to be this roving and meticulous investigative journalist who gives the heels shit. She did a good job at it and for some reason ended up not lasting long. However, just imagine some heel going back and forth with her and Vince shouting in his over the top style, "YOU CAN'T BREAK KAY FABE!" 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Looking at YouTube and for however long her WWF stint was, she got the “Undertaker challenges Yokozuna” segment spot

guessing that Vince fell out of love with her accent after a time

I would say that but from this video, Joe Fowler (who got to co-host All American Wrestling w/ Heenan as you can see) disappeared right around the time Boni Blackstone did. Heenan and Okerlund leaving along with Jerry Lawler's issues around this time get all the play, but they ran through a bunch of on air talent around this time. I just got to the week in 1994 where I believe Jim Ross has his first Bell's Palsy attack, and they have to redub him on Wrestling Challenge with Stan Lane (who already replaced Reo Rodgers who himself replaced Jerry Lawler on Superstars). He gets fired/doesn't get his contract renewed a month or so later. Your Raw commentary team in early 1994.....Vince and a bunch of rotating wrestlers like IRS, Bastion Booger, Crush, and Quebecer Jacques. It's fucking brutal. Lane is or had the chance to be solid, but after a few weeks, they clearly told him to be Bobby Heenan and it's atrocious. Plus, he's trying so hard to be chipper and he sounds like a weatherman. And not like a Dave Brown weatherman who happens to be the color guy. Like weatherman who becomes a meme cause he's so awful.

I know Pettengill was a NY radio guy, but Boni at least brought some air of credibility to what she did. The above segment isn't the best example cause it's basically Cornette doing his usual schtick of the time of carrying a feud. Fowler was kinda in the middle between sometimes insufferable to borderline okay. Just wasn't memorable. She was better than Ray Rougeau (who replaced her IIRC), but it's kinda weird cause Ray did a segment with the Quebecers and they just totally acted like he wasn't brothers with Jacques. So he's basically a interview robot until they find his replacement. That reminds me: there is a random Heavenly Bodies appearance coming on WWF Superstars or Challenge I believe, and I wonder if someone dare acknowledge Stan Lane was 1/2 of the original (technically v.2 but w/e) Heavenly Bodies in Smoky Mountain.

11 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Gorilla Press Slam

Overhead Press Slam

Reverse Press Slam

Double Press Slam

Lariat

One-handed Press Slam

Warrior Press

Shoot-style Gordlow:

Guillotine

Open-handed slap

Roundhouse kick

Double wrist lock

Leg lock  

Omoplata

Wishbone

Japanese-influenced Gordlow:

Gamngiri

Octopus hold

Rolling Elbow

Dragon suplex

Lariat

Overhead chop

Wheelbarrow suplex

Axe Bomber

X-Plex

Bomb's Away

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

It’s not on YouTube anymore but someone made a compilation of IRS promos and they’re so bad and repetitive.

He was kind of stuck with a one-note gimmick though. I mean, what is there for a wrestling taxman to say after he's accused the fans and/or his opponent of being a tax cheat?

25 minutes ago, EVA said:

Can’t really be upset at TK for pointing out something that’s true.

You must not frequent the cesspool known as Reddit, good sir! Or the AEW thread here when TK posts anything on Twitter that's mild like this. The usual suspects are sharpening their pitchforks as we speak. I for one love that TK is an unashamed mark and tweets out insane bullshit like this (but yeah also fuck Helwani - he's kind of shit interviewer too).

THE SNOWMAN COMETH.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

What did Ariel even do that provoked this response? 

The double standard of bitching about Tony no commenting him about a bunch of stuff and then refusing to even ask anyone in WWE about Vince when the biggest story in decades was going down is pretty bad.

That said, Tony shouldn't be doing this stuff himself. He should have hatchet men for it. A Buck. Eddie Kingston. Maria Kanellis. Jim Ross. Someone fun.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Acrostics > Ariel Helwani. Or something.

Tombstone Piledriver                                 Tiger Suplex 

European Uppercut                                    Unprettier

F5                                                                Rainmaker

Leg drop                                                     Tope Suicida

One-Winged Angel                                     Last Ride

Neckbreaker                                               Everest-Style German Suplex

Edited by Teflon Turtle
Edited the format after I took up way too much page space. So awkward!
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

The double standard of bitching about Tony no commenting him about a bunch of stuff and then refusing to even ask anyone in WWE about Vince when the biggest story in decades was going down is pretty bad.

That said, Tony shouldn't be doing this stuff himself. He should have hatchet men for it. A Buck. Eddie Kingston. Maria Kanellis. Jim Ross. Someone fun.

You are one degree removed from Reby Hardy, TK. Give her whatever she wants and let her loose upon your enemies.

6:17 on the crossword, dig it.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3