DVDVR Message Board

February 2023 Wrestling Discussion

50 minutes ago, Dog said:

As a big GWF fan back in the day, I'm surprised I have no memory of Boni Blackstone in WWE.

IIRC She was never on Raw and I think she probably had a dozen appearances on the syndicated shows altogether. They had a crazy amount of on air personnel turnover that all of it sort of blends together. Vince is the only constant obviously.

I am guessing Bruce may have recommended her since he was in Global. For what it's worth though, the one time Conrad brought her up on Something to Wrestle, it didn't sound like Bruce had a bunch of kind words for her. I am guessing whatever happened for her to abruptly not be there anymore didn't result in an amicable split. So either she ran afoul of Vince or old brown nose Bruce, who was in charge of helping produce the commentators and certain big segments.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Who does Bruce have kind words for, besides Vince of course? 

Mike McGuirk!

You wanna be tortured Clockwork Orange style then find a Prime Time Wrestling episode where they do a match from Sam Houston Coliseum. Your commentary team is barely old enough to drink Bruce Prichard who somehow was worse on commentary than when he did it ten years later on Shotgun w/ Kevin Kelly (but not as bad as Reo Rodgers), Mike McGuirk, and the MOTHERFUCKING DUKE OF DORCHESTER PETE DOHERTY.

• Like 2

Ariel is a dork but publicly telling Schiavone that he's great no matter what his cokehead boss says is probably the best thing he's ever done.

Tony Khan needs to stay of twitter if he's can't win twitter arguments with this level of guy, hire people to do that for you if you must.

Yuji Nagata won the Triple Crown. He did his supermove Wrist Clutch Exploder on Kento before his finisher. Nagata (54) is now the oldest man to win the Triple Crown and he broke Tenryu's record, who was 52 at the time.

He joins the club that Muto, Kensuke, Kojima, Takayama all belong to, those men won the top 3 titles of Japan, IWGP HW, GHC HW, and the TC at different times.

• Like 1

There's a case I should put this in the EC thread, but I don't think anybody there is arguing to split the titles, so I don't wanna beat the strawman there...

I disagree when I read people online saying about how the WWE should split the titles to have a Raw and Smackdown title again. They did that for most of the last 20 years until last year. Splitting the titles just feels like running back to that crutch (plus there isn't really a logical way to do a split since they're not doing Raw/Smackdown GMs anymore).

Maybe having the IC title and US title as the main titles on the weekly shows will always be like having B titles in the top spots, but if you bring back brand specific HW titles, it's gonna be difficult to have them be of equal/close to equal prestige and as I already noted, it's a crutch.

The time's right to find new booking crutches to use for the next decade or two.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dog said:

As a big GWF fan back in the day, I'm surprised I have no memory of Boni Blackstone in WWE.

I recall an interview conducted with Bret Hart on Superstars (?) about King of the Ring'93 opening round match against Razor Ramon. That's all, though.

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

There's a case I should put this in the EC thread, but I don't think anybody there is arguing to split the titles, so I don't wanna beat the strawman there...

I disagree when I read people online saying about how the WWE should split the titles to have a Raw and Smackdown title again. They did that for most of the last 20 years until last year. Splitting the titles just feels like running back to that crutch (plus there isn't really a logical way to do a split since they're not doing Raw/Smackdown GMs anymore).

Maybe having the IC title and US title as the main titles on the weekly shows will always be like having B titles in the top spots, but if you bring back brand specific HW titles, it's gonna be difficult to have them be of equal/close to equal prestige and as I already noted, it's a crutch.

The time's right to find new booking crutches to use for the next decade or two.

If you have two world titles, you have no world title. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I agree. I'll also say it's odd that we've had a year of unified World Titles and Tag Title, yet the Women's Titles are still separate. They should definitely merge the Women's Titles too. I'm pretty OCD and it's messing with the parity in my brain.

And honestly you could do the same with the Women's Division. Create Women's US & IC Titles to anchor the TV, and use the Women's World Title as the big special PPV Title everyone wants.

I feel like Reigns and The Usos' auras being so big right now owe at least some of it to being THE champions of their divisions with no equal. You can achieve that with the women as well, while also netting one extra women's champion. 3 men's single titles total, 3 women's singles titles total, one men's tag title total, one women's tag title total. Parity & purpose.

All that said, ain't happening. WWE loves the chaos and uneven-ness that breaks my OCD brain.

17 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I agree. I'll also say it's odd that we've had a year of unified World Titles and Tag Title, yet the Women's Titles are still separate

Then again you don’t actually have a B singles title on the women’s side in the WWE, like how the AEW TBS title is pretty much the B title.

So if there was one women’s title then a portion of your roster would need to do things not involving a title and it can be a bit of a stretch to keep fan interest if there’s no title up for grabs.

WWE fans were conditioned for years to not care about titles. It’s interesting that they’ve been reprogrammed so comprehensively, so quickly.

Then again, the Being John Cena championship is currently unified into Roman’s two belts. If that changes, perhaps the fans go back to accepting that fighting a man with dreadlocks about shampoo us a good Wrestlemania motivation.

It's important in life we define things. It's a good day to do that because there's a difference between there being heat on a promotion or on a heel.

OR

X-Pac Heat.

X-Pac Heat is a thing and is defined as such: If given a choice between watching 2000 Biker Taker beat you, a heel, around the ring for three minutes or to just not see you at all, fans would choose to simply not see you at all.

• Like 2

reading quotetweets of a video of Hogan dropping Belzer with a front face lock

sees someone tweet "I think Hogan was trying to teach him a lesson and it accidentally went too far. At least he didn’t go to a jail in Iraq like Vader did for keeping kayfabe?"

I suspect Vader assaulting a dude on TV would have went a lot different if he did it in Iraq in 1997. (It happened in Kuwait, if you didn't know)

On 2/18/2023 at 1:23 PM, Ramo2653 said:

I don't care that Miz released the shot after the buzzer, they should have counted it.

The Miz better be busting out this clip on RAW and cutting a promo blaming the lateness of the shot on lingering injuries from being unfairly forced to wrestle Bugz last week after taking the stomp from Rollins. 

Also, a reminder that just like Tully Blanchard, Richard Belzer never said "I Quit". 

As someone who watches Raw weekly it desperately need the world title split again as the show just doesn't functional nearly as well as it should without a top title. Perhaps if instead of Roman the belt was held by someone who competes more regularly it would be less of an issue but without a top belt Raw feels like a show full of midcarders with the exception of Cody, and only Cody is spared due to being so fresh. One can argue that the US title should function as that but as someone who watches the show it just ain't working, it's stronger than it has been in years but it still seen as a secondary title.

• Thanks 1

I think I'm in the minority that I think Roman Competes often enough. He works just about every PPV and he might occasionally defend the title on a Smackdown. He might not work a match every Smackdown but it's not like he goes more than 2 weeks appearing on a show. Some weeks he appears on Raw and Smackdown. The main Champ shouldn't be wrestling every week. To me he seems to be around enough I don't really notice he's on a reduced schedule 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nate said:

Beau out there looking like he's second in line to ask about your TPS reports.

Meanwhile Ron Wright’s son looks like the person who gets blamed for a string of unsolved murders in the area. Either a bit short or that guy is close to 6’4” in either real or worked height

• Haha 2