DVDVR Message Board

February 2023 Wrestling Discussion

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, no one here, not even on the previous page, praises WWE for how much more watchable it has been over the last year…

Eh, some people do, but there are still people going out of their way to talk about how they’ll never watch WWE.  I’m not on Dave’s site but I assume at least some of the people posting are open-minded or pro-WWE.   The WWE threads seems to get relatively little traffic compared to other parts of the site, unless there’s 

if you disagree, fine, it’s not worth arguing about but this site has a bit of a reputation.

I imagine Dave’s site is worse, but I have no interest in trying to find out.

18 minutes ago, Mario said:

Eh, some people do, but there are still people going out of their way to talk about how they’ll never watch WWE.  I’m not on Dave’s site but I assume at least some of the people posting are open-minded or pro-WWE.   The WWE threads seems to get relatively little traffic compared to other parts of the site, unless there’s 

if you disagree, fine, it’s not worth arguing about but this site has a bit of a reputation.

Maybe some of us (I know I speak for myself) just don't like pro wrestling as WWE is currently presenting it and don't want to watch?

Maybe it's that simple?

I honestly couldn't give less of a shit about this site's "reputation". I like what I like. I have no obligation to watch WWE if I don't care for it.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, no one here, not even on the previous page, praises WWE for how much more watchable it has been over the last year…

For me, it is physically unwatchable due to the camerawork and lighting. I read descriptions of these great matches but when I try and watch them I get nauseous and almost vertiginous. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

For me, it is physically unwatchable due to the camerawork and lighting. I read descriptions of these great matches but when I try and watch them I get nauseous and almost vertiginous. 

Same - I was pretty bummed about the new AEW stage/graphics being so WWE-like in nature for that reason (though the crowd is lit differently, and although bright, the new apron and barricade aren't actual screens, so theres that at least)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I watched a WWE match that I'd seen before for a review like two years ago, and once you stop watching and come back, the camerawork is so distracting. I can't see how they ever get any new viewers because the multiple cuts and camera shaking on impact is visually unappealing and in some cases, physically unappealing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

I just seen a clip on Twitter of them crowd sweetening of a clip from Raw. I know they've done it off and on for decades at this point but it makes me think, if Hunter does ever get rid of Kevin Dunn , will they still be all this inorganic production ideals

• Like 1

The WON awards are for 2022 only so you have to take that into consideration but for my money, WWE over the past 5-6 months has been a tremendous improvement. 

People say "aside from The Bloodline.."  well, The Bloodline and everything surrounding it has been all-time great but you can look around and see other improvements.

The Gunther title reign, who cares if most of it has been on free TV, that's fine.. it's the first time in a long time where the intercontinental champion is booked to the level of the main event. 

The U.S. title, same thing and they had a ton of fresh faces in that elimination chamber like Bronson and Montez Ford who shined with the spotlight on him.

Women's division appears to be turning a corner, Bianca's on a good run and the feud with Asuka should be immense. Rhea/Charlotte could be good too..

So what exactly is the problem? Thats way fucking better than Vince. 

• Like 5

Agree with that. I’m an AEW ride or die like everyone else, but to me WM Night 1 was the show of the year. I was sports entertained as hell!

WWE is best watched PPV to PPV, with the occasional Smackdown, while skipping Raw. At least that’s what I do, and it’s great. Certainly better than NJPW, Impact (which is fun it’s in own way) or sorry ass NWA (pre pandemic Powerrrrr ruled).

59 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The WON awards are for 2022 only so you have to take that into consideration but for my money, WWE over the past 5-6 months has been a tremendous improvement. 

People say "aside from The Bloodline.."  well, The Bloodline and everything surrounding it has been all-time great but you can look around and see other improvements.

The Gunther title reign, who cares if most of it has been on free TV, that's fine.. it's the first time in a long time where the intercontinental champion is booked to the level of the main event. 

The U.S. title, same thing and they had a ton of fresh faces in that elimination chamber like Bronson and Montez Ford who shined with the spotlight on him.

Women's division appears to be turning a corner, Bianca's on a good run and the feud with Asuka should be immense. Rhea/Charlotte could be good too..

So what exactly is the problem? Thats way fucking better than Vince. 

I’d argue most people vote for their favorites, regardless of how good or bad a year they had in or out of the ring (as applicable). I’d think it was a rare voter who would hold their nose and vote for someone they personally disliked, whether it was Hogan in the mid 80s or someone modern. 

(admittedly. I don’t care enough to do the research on this. I know I hadn’t voted in the awards for probably the last 4 or 5 years I had a subscription, which ended a few years ago.) 

I don’t care about the WON Awards but I don’t get how anyone does not think HHH has done a pretty good job. Before he came aboard, the shows were a mess. And I say this as someone who has been the most positive WWE fan on here probably. I stopped watching the shows mostly and just caught up on what looked good on YouTube.

But the shows are organized now and build to things. Not everything is going to be perfect. And no one will like everything. But it everything heads somewhere.

A great example of this: They teased weeks in advance and then built up The Usos getting close to having the record streak from The New Day, their greatest enemy and the other team in the GOAT conversation. They had their match on Smackdown. It had major stakes to it. And it was a banger of a match and one of my favorites from the last few years. That only happens with HHH and it really is something only the WWAe can do.

As far as a lot of his favorites from NXT he brought up: Outside of Karrion Kross, who was ever cast as someone to have a main event level spot? Everyone else was brought in to freshen up the mid-card with new personalities. They have five hours of TV to fill a week, and there is a big need to have time carved out for 10 minutes of screen time that at the break even point aren’t boring and maybe can break out into something bigger if all goes well. 

As far as the tag titles go, Dax brought it up on his podcast. You know how we all complain about how the tag titles don’t really mean anything? KO/Sami vs. The Usos headlining one of the nights of WrestleMania as a cap to the best storyline ever rectifies that pretty quickly.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Mario said:

I’m confused.  It sounds like you’re describing this site at least as much as Dave’s.

4 hours ago, Mario said:

So you don’t go to the F4W boards, but yet you make the comparison of this site to over there. Then you talk about this site having a bit of a reputation. From where? Not to mention, who gives a shit what reputation this site has. People like what they like. Of people on here say they don’t like to watch WWE, they tend to back it up with a reason why, whether if that’s the production values being too glossy, shit camera work, or in the past, rematches done to death and PPV worthy matches given away on free tv, or 50/50 booking. 

Plenty of us have come back around to watching at least some of WWE again and the Bloodline angle, the stuff with the women’s division, making the Judgment Day actually entertaining and watchable, badass matches with Sheamus and Drew, Gunther not being booked like a JAG, and more have had a lot to do with that. Plus, many of us have figured out that sticking with watching PPVs only and watching what we want to see on Raw and SD is the way to go. As for it not being discussed as much as AEW threads, AEW has one two hour show a week that is worth watching and maybe every other Rampage that’s worth watching. It’s much easier to watch and it breezes by compared to 5 hours of Raw and SD each week. Plus, WWE talk on here gets scattered throughout the weekly WWE threads and the monthly wrestling thread. 

This is all a long way to say stop giving a shit about who says what about here on wherever else you’re at and if you want to discuss wrestling, then discuss it in the threads that are open for it. Instead, you have a comment history that has more of taking pot shots at this or that than actually discussing the product on TV.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I don’t care about the WON Awards but I don’t get how anyone does not think HHH has done a pretty good job. Before he came aboard, the shows were a mess. And I say this as someone who has been the most positive WWE fan on here probably. I stopped watching the shows mostly and just caught up on what looked good on YouTube.

Honestly, I’d watch WWE more if it weren’t for the over the top production values that make it physically hard to watch. Other than that, I agree with what you’re saying about HHH.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I've been grumbling and troll-hunting all day and I always feel bad when I come here and do anything other than talk about the good wrestling I watched + why it's good SO I gotta balance things out again

The Viernes Espectacular that CMLL uploaded this week (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr-aZ2Y5N-s) really really rocked, in the sense that nothing was a MOTYC but everything was at a bare minimum "great" and showcased a ton of talent. The company has become my #2 active promotion until I find somebody from Japan that's more interesting than my late-nite archive.org deep dives (basically you have to be better than Erotic Terrorist Yingling-era HUSTLE and it turns out that's a high bar).

I wanna find a better avenue to pimp/shill/boost all my guys. Panterita Del Ring Jr. and Soberano Jr. and Fugaz and more than a few others are really gettin' my blood flowing, Atlantis Jr. is paying off, Mistico is Mistico again and way better for it and all the dudes who already ruled still rule. They're undergoing their own "women's revolution" and it's been pretty engaging. I wouldn't say I watch every week but I watch most weeks and every time I check in I come to the conclusion that WAY MORE PEOPLE should be talking about this stuff given the match quality, production values, and ease of viewing. I just wish their YouTube channel was better organized and more English-friendly, it really wouldn't take that much more work.

Took your recommendation for lucha family fun time.

791-D4-EAB-C1-BA-40-A8-A5-A7-D7551-CA547

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

I'm curious what your refering too

One thing those awards got right is Blood and Fire being an excellent book

MJF and the fifth iteration in 3 years of "My opponent has to run a gauntlet to get to me", which is the only storyline he has outside of being a forum troll.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Raziel said:

MJF and the fifth iteration in 3 years of "My opponent has to run a gauntlet to get to me", which is the only storyline he has outside of being a forum troll.

I probably wouldn't mind as much if MJF wasn't basically Shane Douglas with better press...

I wish some other promotions had more of a following here, I've been watching more Stardom since last year and Giulia is one of my absolute favorites in the world. 

Also, the NOAH shows have been good, "Last Love" was really fun and I was amazed at how big league the production values were for that one. I think people would love that aspect because it's really crispy HD on a big stage with sleek graphics but still shot like you'd expect a puro card to be shot. I won't get into the details of the matches, save that for the Japan part of the board I suppose. 

iMPACT's women's division is really good right now. 

AJPW usually has some matches to go out of your way for too. 

I've been mostly down on AEWs booking since the beginning of the year but there's still plenty of great matches. 

Pro wrestling is alive and well.

• Like 8

Honestly if the Observer Awards voters were really smart they'd give all the awards to TJPW.

Every wrestler has a well-defined character, most with long and compelling story arcs.

And every once in a while their best wrestlers show up in AEW to do jobs for Wrasslin' Pittsburgh Dentist.

And of course Kento Miyahara's out there in AJPW having 5-star matches with anything that moves.

But God forbid they look at a non-NJPW or NJPW-affiliated fed in Japan...