DVDVR Message Board

2023 GENERAL RIP THREAD

RIPPA

I don't know if Glenda Jackson is the only person to win two Oscars and serve in the British Parliament but she passed away yesterday at 87

She won Best Actress twice, for Women In Love in 1970 and A Touch Of Class in 1973. She was a member of Parliament from 1992 to 2015.

The other Best Actress nominees in those years: Jane Alexander (The Great White Hope), Ali MacGraw (Love Story), Sarah Miles (Ryan's Daughter), and Carrie Snodgress (Diary of a Mad Housewife) in 1970. In 1973, she defeated Ellen Burstyn (The Exorcist), Marsha Mason (Cinderella Liberty), Barbara Streisand (The Way We Were) and Joanne Woodward (Summer Wishes Winter Dreams)

Edited by Cobra Commander

• 1 month later...

I proudly had one of these bumper stickers on my car in the early 2000's.

Free_Kevin_sticker.svg

Kevin was the embodiment of all things mysterious and spooky about the internet.  Most of his escapades were more in the realm of urban myth than actual deed.  I think we can both credit and blame him for the public's rather skewed perception of what cybersecurity folks, primarily penetration testers, are actually able to do to computer systems through a network.

In the early days of the internet when it was the wild fucking west and we were all keyboard cowboys, Kevin Mitnick was the boogeyman.  The Baba Yaga of Cyberspace... or so you might believe if you trusted the media.

He's also the poster child for bond reform.  He was denied bail and wasted away in a jail for nearly five years while the federal prosecutors labored to gather enough evidence to link him to his alleged crimes.  He had to serve as his own council because network breaching and data theft were the markers of a new frontier and few attorneys knew enough about those things to provide adequate defense.  Laws governing the types of crimes Kevin was charged with were practically non-existent. 

He sat in jail not because of what he did (and he did do some very sketchy things), but because of what authorities believed he could do.

Mitnick eventually copped to a plea deal for time served in order to get out of jail before he rotted in there waiting for trial.  Justice should not be something that has to be bought and no government should be allowed to keep you imprisoned while they figure what exactly they are going to try to pin on you.

RIP to the OG.  Rest easy in the ether.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Apparently he had a kid on the way, which is just... yeah.

I should re-read The Fugitive Game for old time's sake.

I would also recommend several of the books that Mitnick wrote after he got out of jail, including The Art of Deception (a treatise on social engineering) and The Art of Intrusion ( a collection of exploits from the lesser publicized members of the rogues' gallery of cyberspace).

His semi-biographical book, Ghost in the Wires, is a bit of a slug.  I enjoyed how it really demystified hacking and removed all of the romanticism (at my office, nothing is more boring that pen test day) but if there was a man brimming with confidence, it was Kevin Mitnick.  His ego bleeds through every page for good and for ill.

Edited by J.T.

• 4 weeks later...

ap22063541089197-1812ea8a8fd6a2c6ccb2b57

Lolita (aka Tokitae, aka Sk'ali) , the killer whale who lived in the Miami Seaquarium for more than 50 years has died of renal failure.  She was schedule to be returned to her native waters off the Puget Sound early next year, but she developed health issues this week and rapidly declined until her passing this morning.     She was 57.  

• Sad 1

Yevgeny Prigozhin, leader of the Wagner private military company that attempted a coup (?) earlier this summer in Russia, is among those believed to be dead in a plane crash.  He was 62.

Well, more accurately, the small private jet he was on was shot down while near Tver, Russia. 

Once again, if you come for the king, you best not miss. 

Slava Ukraini

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yevgeny Prigozhin, leader of the Wagner private military company that attempted a coup (?) earlier this summer in Russia, is among those believed to be dead in a plane crash.  He was 62.

Well, more accurately, the small private jet he was on was shot down while near Tver, Russia. 

Slava Ukraini

In addition Dmitry Utkin (Wagner's second in command) apparently was also on board.

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Slava Ukraini

Well, that's one way to fall out of a window...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Slava Ukraini

And nothing of value was lost. But yes, he made his play, backed down and became a liability. This was the likely result.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Slava Ukraini

oh-no.gif

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

California Senator Dianne Feinstein has died at age 90.  

She was the longest serving female Senator in American history.  

Shame she'll be remembered more for her refusal to step down than her actual accomplishments. 

• Like 1

Eh, once you start digging in to what she actually did in her career it's probably better for her to be remembered for the other thing.

I hope all the people who have been propping her up the past few years never find peace.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Eh, once you start digging in to what she actually did in her career it's probably better for her to be remembered for the other thing.

I hope all the people who have been propping her up the past few years never find peace.

Agreed 100%. 

On 9/29/2023 at 7:44 PM, username said:

I gotta be honest, I am legit surprised there isn't an elaborate Weekend At Bernie's situation going on right now. I'm not even entirely joking.

She voted at noon the day she died so not far off.  To be fair, however, she was basically unassisted in doing so.

I met Feinstein a few decades ago, back when I was young and liberal.  I was quite impressed by her.  Live and learn, I guess.

On 9/29/2023 at 10:44 PM, username said:

I gotta be honest, I am legit surprised there isn't an elaborate Weekend At Bernie's situation going on right now. I'm not even entirely joking.

Got to save something for Biden’s reelection campaign.

• 1 month later...