DVDVR Message Board

2023 GENERAL RIP THREAD

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...

on one hand, Kissinger was far from the only horrid US government leader who had significant power in the 60s/70s

on the other hand, Kissinger outlived pretty much all of those guys by like 15+ years so all the 'kids' on the internet are doing a tribute to how some Brits reacted to Margaret Thatcher dying 10 years ago

I'm actually reading his memoirs right now, and they are fascinating in the level of detail. As a history buff they are a great read(I'm about 500 pages into the 1500 page first volume) but only for the hardcore policy wonk types. 

Kissinger being assigned by the US Army to handle administration of German towns in 1945 when he was 22/23 and a private because he spoke German is an oddly fascinating part of the story. He had fled Germany in August 1938.

I'm sure someone could do a "would you let a 22 year old run a city that the US Army just entered" for these days, but even then it was a bit of a leap of faith.

Unless there’s a Terminator at work, total coincidence that back to back William & Mary Chancellors died in a 3 day span (Kissinger 2000-2005, Sandra Day O’Connor 2005-2012)

Thatcher was the W&M chancellor before Kissinger. So that college went on a run of chancellors

Feels like we’re on a “various older people dying as a result of the first cold snap of the winter” run lately

• Like 1