DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2022 - THREAD 2

Dolfan in NYC

17 hours ago, Bryan said:

Hangman had the most forgettable title run in AEW history and he was only even in that position because he carried the young bucks bags for years prior to AEW. 

Then he alienated the biggest (by far) draw in the company by cutting an awful “shoot” promo most people didn’t even understand.

Then he talks on a podcast about being too stubborn to listen to people that were actually successful in the industry and that are bona fide legends. That’s embarrassing given how unimpressive his resume his and how underwhelming his title run was.

His lack of humility and stupidity will likely end up costing AEW millions in the long run.

Wasn't even a podcast. It was f'n GalaxyCon in Raleigh. Like literally a throwaway line and also, if you hear him talk it wasn't like he was saying these things to offend everyone. Like if you listened to this I doubt you would even give his comments a second thought.

Secondly, arrogant and cocky is not how he came off when he said these things.

Not exactly Bret Hart/Shawn Michaels of Hart trying to offer a truce and Michaels saying, "The feeling isn't mutual!" followed by hair pulling and "unsafe working environment."

And literally no one batted an eyelash over the worker's rights comments made by Hangman on TV, especially when MJF and Eddie Kingston were saying personal things referencing Punk's backstage past in promos.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 7

I kinda want Jarrett to win the All Atlantic title and spend a month or so playing traveling NWA champ on rampage against some of these fiery young baby faces like Yuta, AA, Dante Martin and Jungle Boy. Also think we could have solid JJ matches against Hangman and Omega

• Like 12

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

I kinda want Jarrett to win the All Atlantic title and spend a month or so playing traveling NWA champ on rampage against some of these fiery young baby faces like Yuta, AA, Dante Martin and Jungle Boy. Also think we could have solid JJ matches against Hangman and Omega

Wish I could like this more then once. End it with Takeshita going over and blow the roof off the joint. 

• Like 9

Note on If Tony Khan Shopped ROH TV Deal To Anyone Other Than Warner Bros. Discovery

It was reported earlier this month that Ring of Honor has relaunched Honorclub, which will host a new weekly ROH TV series next year. This would seem to suggest that Khan was unable to get a TV deal or streaming deal for the show. According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Khan did not attempt to shop the new ROH series outside of the Warner Bros. Discovery umbrella.

However this is not for any contractual reason, as ROH is a separate company from AEW. It’s believed that he simply wanted to stay loyal to WBD for their upcoming TV negotiations, which could happen either this year or next year. There have been a lot of ideas for new shows for AEW from both sides. It was reported that WBD wants to produce more AEW content, with AEW filming a new reality show for the studio. Meanwhile, Khan reportedly wants to produce a women’s wrestling show called All Elite Women, as part of a new deal.

AEW’s four-year TV deal with the company expires at the end of 2023. WBD has an option year for Dynamite (and maybe Rampage), which could be a price escalation as part of the option. That means it’s possible negotiations my not happen until 2024 for a new deal that begins in 2025.

"All Elite Women" - not sure if that's going to be a standalone wrestling show, or a Total Divas clone

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 12:42 PM, StuntmanCrowley said:

Really not sure how anyone could possibly think Hangman/Danielson, either one was boring, but to each their own.  Also, the most forgettable title run is going to belong to CM Punk and he should've never won it in the first place.  Every single match Hangman had as champ was pretty damn great, especially both Danielson matches and the match against Archer.  Being booked as second fiddle, despite being champ, to Punk and the Elite and whatever the hell else was going on wasn't his fault but TK's.  Everytime he needed to come up in a match, he did and his promos are fantastic.

Punk not being on AEW is addition by subtraction and I enjoyed it when the Elite were gone too.  

Yeah, this “hangman page is boring/sucks” stuff is pretty baffling. Guy consistently delivers. 

I think deep down CM Punk, as currently constituted, can’t have a healthy relationship with pro wrestling. There’s a fine line between passion and unhealthy fixation, and Punk can’t be in wrestling and not be totally, detrimentally obsessed. He’s also a guy who’s fueled by feeling slighted. He’s not the only great athlete most closely associated with Chicago who is wired that way, fwiw. In his mind he has to be overcoming odds and sticking it to his naysayers, even when there aren’t any. Without some soul searching and probably counseling, I don’t think he can exist in the wrestling space in a healthy way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Yeah, this “hangman page is boring/sucks” stuff is pretty baffling. Guy consistently delivers. 

I think deep down CM Punk, as currently constituted, can’t have a healthy relationship with pro wrestling. There’s a fine line between passion and unhealthy fixation, and Punk can’t be in wrestling and not be totally, detrimentally obsessed. He’s also a guy who’s fueled by feeling slighted. He’s not the only great athlete most closely associated with Chicago who is wired that way, fwiw. In his mind he has to be overcoming odds and sticking it to his naysayers, even when there aren’t any. Without some soul searching and probably counseling, I don’t think he can exist in the wrestling space in a healthy way.

Yeah, the "boring/sucks" shit is outlandish to me.  Also, as VileOne illustrated above, the "Doesnt take advice" shit has been blown entirely out of proportion.  It's just weird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Wasn't even a podcast. It was f'n GalaxyCon in Raleigh. Like literally a throwaway line and also, if you hear him talk it wasn't like he was saying these things to offend everyone. Like if you listened to this I doubt you would even give his comments a second thought.

Secondly, arrogant and cocky is not how he came off when he said these things.

Not exactly Bret Hart/Shawn Michaels of Hart trying to offer a truce and Michaels saying, "The feeling isn't mutual!" followed by hair pulling and "unsafe working environment."

And literally no one batted an eyelash over the worker's rights comments made by Hangman on TV, especially when MJF and Eddie Kingston were saying personal things referencing Punk's backstage past in promos.

We’ve been through this before. Plenty of people took notice of the worker’s rights comment from Page because it was out of the blue, and did not fit the build up to the match (since there hardly was any). There were mentions of it in the thread for Dynamite that night.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

We’ve been through this before. Plenty of people took notice of the worker’s rights comment from Page because it was out of the blue, and did not fit the build up to the match (since there hardly was any). There were mentions of it in the thread for Dynamite that night.

Wasn't as out of the blue as Punk going into business for himself when he came back.

• Like 3

I think the true hypocrisy comes from Punk being the definitive worked-shoot controversy merchant of the last decade. You'd think Mr. Pipebomb could handle things getting a little "real" on the mic but he turned out to be a glass cannon in more ways than one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I just cracked up picturing all the various AEW factions trolling the Elite by coming out to their own 70s arena rock music because their parents loved it and it meant so much to them as kids. Death Triangle using "Lowrider," House of Black using "Radar Love," JAS using "Jim Dandy" etc.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Most of those mentions were wonderring if someone was turning heel, and thought it was in-character if one of them was turning heel.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Note on If Tony Khan Shopped ROH TV Deal To Anyone Other Than Warner Bros. Discovery

"All Elite Women" - not sure if that's going to be a standalone wrestling show, or a Total Divas clone

All Elite Women has an easy lay-up if they had a similar logo to All Japan Women's Wrestling and using "Victory Through Revolution" or something similar. I guess Bull Nakano could beat the crap outta Britt Baker and maybe Thunder Rosa if Rosa ever wrestles again.

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

I just cracked up picturing all the various AEW factions trolling the Elite by coming out to their own 70s arena rock music because their parents loved it and it meant so much to them as kids. Death Triangle using "Lowrider," House of Black using "Radar Love," JAS using "Jim Dandy" etc.

Jeff Jarrett and co coming out to "The Stroke" by Billy Squier...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

All Elite Women has an easy lay-up if they had a similar logo to All Japan Women's Wrestling and using "Victory Through Revolution" or something similar. I guess Bull Nakano could beat the crap outta Britt Baker and maybe Thunder Rosa if Rosa ever wrestles again.

😍😍

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Jeff Jarrett and co coming out to "The Stroke" by Billy Squier...

That song is way too cool for Jarrett. He gets "A Cowboy's Work is Never Done."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m a pro-Hangman enjoyer. I’ve illustrated in the past what I enjoy about him and his unique style and charisma. I will say that a good portion of the Anti-Pages have done a fairly good job explaining what they feel good pro wrestling is and why they don’t like him. At times it can come out of left field or the same things being regularly stated, but I think the opinion other than mine is valid and well said.

• Like 2

Honestly, not a great first impression for me. But we'll see how it matches with the new staging and stuff.

Going hard on red & blue lasers is definitely giving me a "let's trick the people that don't know any better into thinking we're part of the other place" visual queue.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Honestly, not a great first impression for me. But we'll see how it matches with the new staging and stuff.

Going hard on red & blue lasers is definitely giving me a "let's trick the people that don't know any better into thinking we're part of the other place" visual queue.

Yeah. Weird. It's kinda like Burger King rebranding and going heavy on the red and yellow.

• Like 2

The thing about Hangman is that he is/was a proper babyface who the smart fans are willing and able to get behind. Natural babyface charisma - that doesn't come around that often. And AEW are essentially blowing that.

Punk is a crossover star, and despite usual criticisms is a very good pro-wrestler. But he is essentially a heel character (same with Rock and Austin), despite being able to emotionally connect with some fans very strongly. Nothing wrong with any of that, but I still feel like Hanger was/is the more precious commodity.