DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2022 - THREAD 2

Dolfan in NYC

43 minutes ago, Casey said:

He got me back into wrestling after Benoit turned me off of it. If it wasn’t for the pipebomb and the run after that, I wouldn’t care about any of this most likely.

But what is it about him? Surely the stuff that unfolded after the pipebomb exposed it as empty bluster?

Edited by Dog

8 minutes ago, Dog said:

But what is it about him? Surely the stuff that unfolded after the pipebomb exposed it as empty bluster?

I connect with him in a way I don’t with any other wrestler, what do you want me to say? If he went back to WWE, I’d follow him there and watch exclusively his stuff. Him not being around isn’t going to make me not love AEW, but my excitement about them is way down compared to this time last year. That’s also because MJF is on top, but still.

I don’t know which pipebomb you mean, do you mean the WWE one or the scrum blowup? If it’s the former, the run immediately after it sucked, but for a month or two it was really fun. The run (2012) he had where he was the longest reigning modern WWE champion was great.

The way he went about the scrum blowup was bad, but I don’t think he was wrong about anything really.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Chris Jericho Suggests He Might Team With Kenny Omega for AEW in Winnipeg

Team Canada (Jericho, Omega, O'Reilly, 2.0) vs. Team America (Punk, Darby, Cole, FTR)

Hell, have Cole put his Owen Hart Cup on the line

Damn, I'm going to what is probably the only AEW show I'll ever be at and you want to put Cole and O'Reilly in the main?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Fuck, he wants to put the jobbers from Quebec in a main event too? What has Winnipeg ever done to offend Dolphman so badly?

I don't need to see Jericho and Omega teaming, ever. I would rather see Callis come out of retirement, put on a wig, and team with Jericho.

15 hours ago, Casey said:

I connect with him in a way I don’t with any other wrestler, what do you want me to say?

I'm just curious what it is people connect with. The straight edge part? Something else? Surely there must be at least one specific thing you can articulate? I swear I'm not trying to come after you here; just trying to get to something tangible to help me understand. 

The way he went about the scrum blowup was bad, but I don’t think he was wrong about anything really.

Sorry, just noticed this part. So you think Hangman Page is an empty-headed dumb fuck who's never done anything in wrestling? And that the Bucks leaked stuff about Cabana to the sheets, even though every sheet-writer swears they didn't? 

Edited by Dog
  • Like 1

I've always liked the straight edge aspect. Also, he's a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve. He seems absolutely genuine. 

Maybe I was lying to myself by saying Happy Punk was a good thing because it wasn't sustainable. I feel like maybe Punk thought being happy and enjoying himself in AEW wasn't working. 

However, a guy like Punk acting like a crybaby over someone like Hangman "not listening to advice" or whatever that bullshit was is something I don't connect with. CM Punk's whole act, his whole reason was rebellion. I doubt CM Punk got to where he is by always listening to everyone's advice and people above looking down on him whether it's Tony Atlas, Shawn MIchaels, or Triple H. Punk always succeeded in spite of those people not liking him and not thinking he looked like a true wrestler.

So for Punk to act like a crybaby because Hangman had a very pragmatic view about his in-ring work, which he said in a Q&A setting made him very off-putting, along with doxing Colt Cabana's mother, which he never apologized for.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I absolutely do think the Bucks and/or Omega were leaking stuff to the sheets. Why would any credible “journalist” in this medium intentionally reveal their source for information? Of course someone like Meltzer is going to deny it. That’s what you’re supposed to do to keep your source of information. You don’t give up a source if someone correctly predicts who it is.

As for why I like Punk so much… I don’t know what to tell ya, man. I just love his in-ring work, his promos, and honestly his attitude outside of the ring. I don’t see anyone asking Natural why he loves Danielson so much - wonder if it’s because all anyone can focus on anymore is the All Out scrum when anyone mentions Punk. Surely not! Punk might not be your thing, but for a lot of people he is.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I've always liked the straight edge aspect. Also, he's a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve. He seems absolutely genuine. 

"Seems" being the operative word there. It seemed like he wanted what's best for everyone, but after his WWE run I thought it became apparent he only wanted what was best for himself and his friends. And once you're not his friend anymore, for reasons that may or may not be valid (ask Hornswoggle about that), it looks like he wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. 

9 minutes ago, Casey said:

As for why I like Punk so much… I don’t know what to tell ya, man. I just love his in-ring work, his promos, and honestly his attitude outside of the ring. I don’t see anyone asking Natural why he loves Danielson so much - wonder if it’s because all anyone can focus on anymore is the All Out scrum when anyone mentions Punk. Surely not! Punk might not be your thing, but for a lot of people he is.

I can guess Natural likes Dragon because he hits hard, makes wrestling look like a struggle, paces matches wonderfully, and everyone who fights him comes out looking better. Punk's harder for me to understand, and I get frustrated when I don't understand something. That's on me. But Punk's a guy who tries to do more than he can in the ring, though I did love a lot of his AEW matches. His promos get to that same sense of SEEMING genuine, until you see how mercurial his emotions are and you start to wonder if he's really speaking the truth or just reacting in the moment to his current mental state. As I've said on this board before, his real personality is even worse. Remember, this is the guy who's refused to acknowledge criticism his entire career (and now gets upset when the tables are turned), and has gone out of his way to mentally and physically hurt those who have the temerity to levy that criticism. So I hope you can see why it makes me kind of queasy when someone says they really connect with him. No offense meant, honestly. You seem like a good person, which makes it even more confusing to me. 😞 

• Thanks 3

A sad reality is that a lot of charismatic yet volatile people make for a compelling screen presence. I like Gene Hackman in movies, but doesn't sound like he's always a peach to be around. If people think we should do better as consumers of media, that's probably a fine position to take. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dog said:

I can guess Natural likes Dragon because he hits hard, makes wrestling look like a struggle, paces matches wonderfully, and everyone who fights him comes out looking better. Punk's harder for me to understand, and I get frustrated when I don't understand something.

Danielson modeled himself after Dean Malenko, Punk modeled himself after Bret Hart

Punk can tell a better story in the ring than Danielson, while Danielson can have a better technical match than Punk

There's nothing to misunderstand here - both are great at what they do

• Like 1

God I hope no one ever drills me on why my favorite wrestlers are my favorite. Some connections are intangible and no two people are going to have those same connections. And honestly its not really anyone else's concern anyway, like who you like. Unless you like Akira Taue or something, then you should do better. (I'm kidding, please don't ban me)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

I love Bryan Danielson. Love that man. One for, @Octopus. The look Danielson gives at the end slays me.

MIDDLE AGED MEN AFTER HEARING THAT PROMO

Ron Swanson running Blank Template - Imgflip

As for Punk I would imagine a lot of the appeal for people is he feels like one of us, not a super athlete or a body builder or second generation or some one white a college/Olympic/pro sports pedigree. He was first and foremost a fan who grew up to be champion.

And regarding the Gripbomb as that old song says "NOBODYS RIGHT IF EVERYBODY'S WRONG" 

• Like 5

Hoping that's a little sensationalized, and it's just TS giving a little background on what some of us already knew. Itseemed like more of a 'summarization' to me once I read it, since the heart attack was quite some time ago now - (I don't remember the year but I know he was definitely still agenting for WWE because I remember hearing about it for the first time in one of their .com 'Where Are They Now?' articles) - but it's always possible that's just me hoping for the best