DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2022 - THREAD 2

Dolfan in NYC

Tony Khan Discusses Why Talent Doesn’t Always See The Spotlight At AEW

On why some talent isn’t in the focus from show to show: “You have people that are going to be a focus week-to-week. Eddie’s a big part of tonight’s show, we’ll see Eddie on ‘Rampage,’ tonight. There are dozens of wrestlers featured on ‘Dynamite’ and ‘Rampage’ every week, and throughout those three hours you see lots of names, but there’s lots of names you aren’t seeing in AEW every week, and sometimes they’re silent about that, and sometimes there’s a reason: somebody’s hurt, somebody’s working on another project, somebody’s getting repackaged, or frankly there’s just not enough slots on three hours.”

On the unique dynamic between a company and the roster in the wrestling industry: “It’s not really common in the NFL for the backup quarterback to complain to the coach that he’s not playing. It’s not common in the NBA for the backup point guard to slight the coach because he’s not getting minutes.”

On how he handles frustrations from the locker room: “I take it with a smile, and I’ll keep taking it with a smile. It’s ok. I understand that everyone wants to wrestle and wants to do things.”

Literally calls anyone not on AEW TV second-stringers

Insulting your roster is great for morale!

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Why do you constantly have a stick up your ass about Tony Khan? I don't think they need an unofficial morale checker. I highly doubt anyone is going to take what he says as criticism. Also, a 1/3 of the people here are critical of anyone getting put on Dark and see that as a relegation/demotion anyway. He can be honest and say it's not exactly the main product especially when it's been used as a tool to keep the talent busy and get folks experience. Hell, prior to the Monday Night Wars, that's what most of the TV product was anyway. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Genuine question bruv, do you enjoy AEW or do you just try and facilitate news in as negative of a way as possible for strife? It's really odd that a majority of the time I see your posts, they are always in some negative connotation. Especially when it comes to Tony Khan, because I'm starting to feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day and let me tell you something, I'm not THAT old yet.

If you aren't a fan of TK, that's fair - to each their own - but at some point trying to dress up a quote as something it's not is kind of off putting to a lot of us. And I guarantee you a majority of posters on here will agree that you do exactly that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Matt D said:

So, I'd like for them to repeat the LayCool/Kaval dynamic with TayJay and Daniel Garcia at Sammy's behest for a few weeks but I imagine no one else wants this to happen.

I’d be into that.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I'll never comprehend people that put so much effort into screeching incessantly about shit they don't like.  

Maybe it really is like that "Stop liking things I don't like!"-meme!? Not that it makes any more sense that way, but unless it's just pure trolling, maybe that is one way to explain it?

People just want the validation that comes from feeling like they might have a say in controlling the narrative on a popular topic.  Problem is… you can’t force it without blowback.  

For every hair band or boy band that had a hot minute.  They always fade into the ether as the flash in the pan that kind of thing always is.  Naturally.

But for every Star Wars Special Edition  or whatever that doesn’t meet some peoples standards.  Vitriol and dogpiles haven’t made it all go away.  It’s shoveling sand against the tide.

15 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

What a fucking idiotic thing to say publicly about your roster. This is like Eric Bischoff late 90s level nonsense.

2 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I'll never comprehend people that put so much effort into screeching incessantly about shit they don't like.  

Right? Like, who gives a shit how tall adam Cole is…

• Haha 2

Well, in my opinion, there is a vast difference between voicing your opinion on a specific wrestler, or offering criticism towards a promotion/wrestler, etc compared to what this fucking clown is doing over and over and over and over.  It's almost like he just enjoys coming here, screaming into the void and as someone put it "outrage mining"

Personally, that's a pretty pathetic existence to me, but to each their own.

• Like 4

Just gonna put this out there - leaving "laughing" responses on folks' posts you don't agree with, leaving "sad" reacts on people proclaiming stuff they enjoy that you don't, that's some real obnoxious dickhead behavior.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Just gonna put this out there - leaving "laughing" responses on folks' posts you don't agree with, leaving "sad" reacts on people proclaiming stuff they enjoy that you don't, that's some real obnoxious dickhead behavior.

Hovering over your post be like:

1tGq7B5.jpg

• Haha 14

Watched the Dynamite episode from 2020 that begins with PAC vs Omega 30-minute Iron Man and has the final build towards Revolution 2020. After that, I watched the inagural Fight for the Fallen, for the most part. Didn't get around to Rhodes Boys vs Young Bucks yet, but good stuff anyway. It's just funny that after the past month, seeing PAC vs Kenny going another 30 minutes (albeit the first time one on one), was like, I think I've seen this already. It was really good, but I kept thinking, did PAC and Adam Page ever have a match after the first one fell through?

3 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Watched the Dynamite episode from 2020 that begins with PAC vs Omega 30-minute Iron Man and has the final build towards Revolution 2020. After that, I watched the inagural Fight for the Fallen, for the most part. Didn't get around to Rhodes Boys vs Young Bucks yet, but good stuff anyway. It's just funny that after the past month, seeing PAC vs Kenny going another 30 minutes (albeit the first time one on one), was like, I think I've seen this already. It was really good, but I kept thinking, did PAC and Adam Page ever have a match after the first one fell through?

Yes, Page, and PAC had a match, pretty early in fact. It might have been the first episode actually, or the 2nd.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

This kind of amuses me as this is what a decent amount of people were doing in WWE threads until a year or two into AEW's existence. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eivion said:

This kind of amuses me as this is what a decent amount of people were doing in WWE threads until a year or two into AEW's existence. 

They were also the only mainstream game in town at the time too. We love 'rasslin and just want some good graps. 

This is consistently trying to belittle an owner who has done pretty close to everything in his power to treat the wrestling business with as much respect as a new owner could and try to bring it to the glory, respect, and enjoyment it once had. Brodie Lee, Owen Hart memorial, KultureCity, and I'm sure many more I'm forgetting.

• Like 9