DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2022 - THREAD 2

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

I would.

For Punk: Danielson, #FTR, Samoa Joe, Claudio, Moxley, MJF.

Against: Jericho, Bucks, Adam Page, Kingston.

I can see Omega more open to Punk returning than the Bucks even though The Elite are so close.

I dunno if Mox would be in the “yea” column after all this. Danielson either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Booking Orange Cassidy vs. Kip Sabian on Battle of the Belts V isn't giving me high hopes AEW is going to put more effort into those specials this year. Such a shame.

Here's hoping we get a high caliber Women's title match. At least we've had a feud that's been in play for this match rather than just something tossed together (and hopefully ends their feud).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Here's hoping we get a high caliber Women's title match. At least we've had a feud that's been in play for this match rather than just something tossed together (and hopefully ends their feud).

I actually like both guys, but that's the first match they've announced for this card, and it's second tier midcard title. Also, this is going to be a live special as well. They clearly aren't planning long-term for these as big quarterly events. They need to consider getting either a world title match on there OR at last booking MJF for one of these events. MJF doesn't even have to defend the title. Have him pick a tag team partner to face Danielson and Starks for example.

• Like 4

I like that idea, @TheVileOne. I’d take it a step further and have MJF institute a “countdown clock” that’s on screen every time he is that tells you how long until he’s required to defend his title again. You could have MJF tag with either Joe or Hobbs in those tag situations with the implication being that even he is afraid of crossing those guys…

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

If I can get one thing out of AEW next year, I NEED it to be Orange Cassidy vs Bryan Danielson. 

All Bryan needs to do is ask. You know OC will say "OK, fine, whatever!" The fightingest and notgivingashitingest champion in AEW today!

Edited by Shartnado
He does not give a F....
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I actually like both guys, but that's the first match they've announced for this card, and it's second tier midcard title. Also, this is going to be a live special as well. They clearly aren't planning long-term for these as big quarterly events. They need to consider getting either a world title match on there OR at last booking MJF for one of these events. MJF doesn't even have to defend the title. Have him pick a tag team partner to face Danielson and Starks for example.

I agree. They need to do a little bit more to make these Battle of the Belts feel big and special. Going live is a great first step, but you have to have some healthy feuds/matches that will get people to tune in. 

Maybe this is where you do a RoH vs. AEW champion vs champion card at some point? I don't really know, just spitballing...

But just imagine the Acclaimed vs. Briscoes. Athena vs. Jamie Hayter. Claudio vs. MJF.

• Like 4

Regarding Punk, dude is 44 and going off recent injuries seems to be rapidly deteriorating. Even though I enjoyed what he brought to the table in AEW I don't know how long he would hold up anyway and how much you would want to plan for him being their long term. Plus even though they got a bit of a bump its not like he was getting them Rock/Austin numbers

In the ideal world, Punk will come back to tie up loose ends (certainly some potential there for hot matches if all parties can play nice) but he shouldn't ever sniff the title picture again. He's just too injury prone and untrustworthy, make him a special attraction for PPVs and the bigger Dynamites and let him focus on "blood feuds" rather than anything title related. I don't know if he will be able to smooth things over with The Elite and Jericho, or if he even wants to, but it would be nice to have a better conclusion than what we got with Punk in AEW at the moment.

• Like 8

Punk got two injuries in short succession, one in a freak outside-the-ring setting. Him catching so much shit for his wear-and-tear when people like Omega and Christian are hanging around strikes me as the usual crowd just looking for any reason to show him the door. Even younger guys like Adam Cole can suffer two injuries in quick succession. It's a weird physical business, you've got to be careful how much you hold that against people or label them. Maybe AEW knows more about Punk's health than us that might give them a scare, but based on publicly available information at most he ought be told firmly that his days of jumping the rail like that are over. But there's not enough there to justify being ready to move on. 

Re: Battle of the Belts, this is what it is, it's likely not changing, and I can't see any purpose to adding a taping for such a sparsely-viewed show. Just be happy you potentially get one or two more matches worth seeing that week. 

Re: Jericho not wanting to work with Punk, I never got the sense Punk was in a rush to work with him either. Or that anybody was clamouring for it. That should be an easy enough situation to resolve. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 4

Fair or not, any time a wrestler (particularly an older one) gets a serious injury twice in a four month period, its reasonable to be concerned about it becoming an ongoing issue. I don't think that should be a reason not to use him, just a factor in whether you want him holding a title again. Promoters have held off putting titles on wrestlers they consider an injury risk since wrestling existed, its not something specific for Punk, its just the nature of the business.

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I agree. They need to do a little bit more to make these Battle of the Belts feel big and special. Going live is a great first step, but you have to have some healthy feuds/matches that will get people to tune in. 

Maybe this is where you do a RoH vs. AEW champion vs champion card at some point? I don't really know, just spitballing...

But just imagine the Acclaimed vs. Briscoes. Athena vs. Jamie Hayter. Claudio vs. MJF.

The last Battle of the Belts was live, and they basically made it a second hour of Rampage.

Punk only tried the springboard forearm once since coming back, and that was for his hot tag in the Punk/Sting/Darby vs. FTR/MJF 6-man. He slipped and almost fell on his face but was able to grab a rope and recover.

He knows his knees are shot - the fact that he attempted the buckshot lariat (and landed it once on TV before botching it horribly at the PPV) is admirable - but he probably should abandon his aerial game (or wear knee braces) for his next run

I originally thought he was wearing the longboys to hide knee braces, but he admitted he wore them when he was feeling lazy and didn't want to shave his legs

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

I don't know if it's knees or just general lack of athleticism.  He was on the low end of that in his prime, and he's far from that now.  I don't think Punk has a history of knee injuries.

The springboard forearm was a regular move in his WWE matches. He never did a buckshot lariat before this year, but he did used to flip over the ropes as part of his entrance circa-2002.

I wouldn't be opposed to CM Punk returning at all provided everyone is on the same page and either stays away from each other or hashes things out so they can all be one big happy family again. And also Tony Khan doesn't let the wounds fester and actually addresses the problems if one comes up.

Secondly, I think if Punk were to return, you have to be realistic about using him again. He has to be a special attraction type player. Basically like what MJF is now except even LESS matches maybe.

Even if Jericho doesn't like it, tough. It's not his call. He doesn't have to share a dressing room or TV with Punk if he doesn't want to. If Jericho can get over Goldberg trying to big-league him in WWE that they actually came to blows and still worked a match against each other on PPV, then Jericho can live to work with Punk coming back.

Tony Khan owes it to his company to try and work something out with Punk. Let him lick his wounds and heal from his injury and give him a call.

• Like 2