DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Contract Law - 7/30/2021

Dolfan in NYC

So Cena's talking about Roman the way he talked about Wyatt before Firefly Fun House, now he's pretty much a self parody with his promos to the point it seems... obvious, I hate to give WWE's writers too much credit but this kiiiind of feels like Cena sent Corbin out there and we're getting secret heel Cena... after the last time we saw him he got exposed for being a career secret heel?

18 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Oh those piped in boos couldn't hide the crowd being solidly on Banks' side. 

But I was told on here that WWE piping in crowd noise these past few weeks was just a made up narrative that the internet is trying to push!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I definitely called Roman vs Cena being the Summer Slam match still. Why would WWE tease a fresh match that most of the crowd generally wants to see then take it away? Odd choice in story telling.

They need a match for Survivor Series too?

Cena running in to sign the contract, but not bothering to check on poor Finn was unintentionally funny.  Guessing he'll feud with Corbin through Summer Slam.  Lol, he might be better off in NXT after all.

The Sasha turn was well done, but I really don't like the trope where the vicious heel does one babyface thing and the faces take all of 30 seconds to start trusting him or her.

53 minutes ago, Casey said:

But I was told on here that WWE piping in crowd noise these past few weeks was just a made up narrative that the internet is trying to push!

Made up? That is funny. Do you happen to remember who told you such a thing? Would make it easier for me to track down and have a laugh at. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

John Cena looks like an asshole in all of this.

Still remember what John Cena did to Rey Mysterio 10 years ago beating him for the WWE Championship after Rey won it earlier in RAW and then CM Punk, the WWE Champion returned for Cena vs. Punk at SummerSlam 2011. I'd have had Rey win the WWE Championship tournament, Mysterio vs. Cena as the SummerSlam 2011 main event, Cena wins there and that's when Punk comes back. The Summer of Punk was so messed up by WWE.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 2

McAfee pulled a Heenan and telegraphed it at the beginning of the match, saying Bianca needed to keep an eye on Sasha.

All of the talk of crowd piping made me remember that at the Impact tapings the day after Slammiversary, Penzer asked us all to stand and cheer for like 10-15 seconds straight(with no action going on) while we were being recorded and then asked us all to boo for 10-15 seconds so that could be recorded as well.

• Sad 1

Reginald/Gable was fun while it lasted. Would have been better though to see Otis try and catch Reginald.

Thought all of the stuff with Roman, Cena, Finn, and Corbin was good though yeah Cena definitely comes across a bit poorly with how he handled the contract signing. Feels weird to see them tease Roman/Finn like this, but it should be a god match for the next ppv after Summerslam. Ideally though I would love to see Finn get a quick feud and win over Cena for pulling what he did tonight.

Bianca/Sasha vs. Mella/Zelina was fun. The heel turn was so damn obvious, but I didn't hate it. Were those boos piped in? It seemed pretty mixed to me though I wouldn't be shocked if the crowd cheered for Sasha over Bianca. Bianca is good, but she hasn't been around nearly as long and her debut along with her push coming during a pandemic with no audiences.

Pretty good episode of Smackdown tonight. Vince must really love Reggie because I thought for sure the 24/7 Title was exclusively for RAW. I did get a good laugh when he said "they just told me to show up and didn't say who I was facing". That's WWE booking in a nutshell.

Poor Otis looks so defeated. Cutting his hair and beard sucked the life out of him.

The bait and switch with Cena was so dumb. But I guess they had to do it since they all ready made all those Roman vs. Cena graphics that they tweeted a minute after the contract thing was done.

Sasha turning heel was so perfect. Her and Bianca should have a pretty good match at Summerslam. See how it goes with some hate now that the mutual respect stuff will be out the window.

• Sad 1

I was hoping last week was the beginning of a slow burn face turn for Corbin..... not redoing the never ending Finn feud from 2018. Blah.

Sasha doing the come back and turn yet again was lame to me. I'd forgot that she wasn't already heel when she left. 

10 hours ago, Eoae said:

The Sasha turn was well done, but I really don't like the trope where the vicious heel does one babyface thing and the faces take all of 30 seconds to start trusting him or her.

it depends whether or not you count the ESPYs as kayfabe because they showed the two of them partying together at the event. 

Pat is exceptional on commentary. “Bobby said if I danced he’d beat me up but I have to dance” managed to put over Bobby and Nakamura at the same time. 

Cena wise… eh, Balor vs Roman can headline post Summerslam. 

• Like 1

If they're going to have Cena steal Finn's opportunity then I hope that means Finn gets pissed off and has a mini feud with him.  Hopefully that will be the catalyst to him getting back into NXT Finn mode which he quite frankly still should be.  If that doesn't happen then he is already quite the afterthought after only a couple weeks back.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 8:18 PM, RunningFromAmerica said:

I know it's like wrestling and stuff, but what a world it would be if people were generally allowed to beat people up when they're about to sign a contract and then sign it instead.

There’s WWE precedent in the case of Michaels v. Benoit, although Benoit was awarded an equitable remedy by being added to the contracted match, making it a three way match.

Jokes aside, when they showed the contract signed by Cena, I noticed it was essentially an open contract, as Finn’s name wasn’t already on it. Instead it just referred to “the undersigned.”

• Like 1