DVDVR Message Board

WWE Hall of Fame 2018

Casey

Is there anybody in the WWF who did as little wrestling as Hillbilly Jim did and got so much out of it?  He was derailed by injury barely two months into his WWF career, was out almost the entire year and still was one of the first guys with an action figure, got to be on the cartoon, and got his own song on the Wrestling Album. 

He pretty much never had any kind of major feud or angle of note after (aside from Studd & Bundy attacking him in late 85) and I don't really remember him even wrestling squashes on TV that much unless it was tags or six-mans.   Yet when you think of WWF guys in the 80s, he still comes up fondly as a big deal.

I'm happy he's going in, he seems like one of the most humble guys in the business.  And add me to the "Wait, he's not already in?" list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sydneybrown said:

Is there anybody in the WWF who did as little wrestling as Hillbilly Jim did and got so much out of it?  He was derailed by injury barely two months into his WWF career, was out almost the entire year and still was one of the first guys with an action figure, got to be on the cartoon, and got his own song on the Wrestling Album. 

He pretty much never had any kind of major feud or angle of note after (aside from Studd & Bundy attacking him in late 85) and I don't really remember him even wrestling squashes on TV that much unless it was tags or six-mans.   Yet when you think of WWF guys in the 80s, he still comes up fondly as a big deal.

I'm happy he's going in, he seems like one of the most humble guys in the business.  And add me to the "Wait, he's not already in?" list.

The biggest feud he got was when he got to replace John Studd vs Andre in 89. He even got to do a TV angle knocking Andre out with his horseshoe. Which I think was done to show he had a chance. As a boy I feared for Jim's life vs Andre. 

54 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Does this violate the No Politics rule? 

Presumably not unless he goes off script?

I mean, he didn't end up running for Senate (thank you Flying Spaghetti Monster) so as long as he talks about music and wrestling for 6 minutes and gets the fuck off the stage it'll be fine, I guess.

15 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Presumably not unless he goes off script?

I mean, he didn't end up running for Senate (thank you Flying Spaghetti Monster) so as long as he talks about music and wrestling for 6 seconds and gets the fuck off the stage it'll be fine, I guess.

FTFY

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Are there any Jim matches that are worth checking out?  I only remember him from stuff like WM III

He had A fun (but not good) tag with Dirty Rhodes in Memphis. 

There’s a match of his on YouTube against Andre in ‘89 from the Nassau Colliseum that’s interesting - Andre sells a lot and then there’s a DQ finish to set up a tag match with Duggan and Haku.

8 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Yeah- this is the weird part with Hillbilly Jim- on the one hand, it's been a long time coming and he seems to deserve it- but on the other, he does kind of have a strong case to overtake Koko B. Ware for the bar as the "if you were better than this guy, you belong in the WWE HOF " guy. 

Jim was always around, but he does have pretty low ratings in all of the big things for a wrestling HOFer.

Skill-wise, he was never that great in the ring (likely due to the injury).

Kayfabe-wise, he didn't have any big honors to hang his hat on and he never even sniffed a title.

As far as how iconic a character he was, he was a recognizable midcarder in a hot era, but the most "iconic" factor he'd have would be "Now everyone in Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling is in the Hall of Fame."