DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

WCW Okerlund is my favorite thing in wrestling, just because of how few fucks he gave.  Would bury dudes directly to their face, hit on Woman, and get belligerent over nothing.

My favorite Mean Gene in WCW moment was when Nick Bockwinkel, who was playing the figurehead president, issued some silly Blackburn-esque edict, and Gene replied with, "What have you been smoking, Bockwinkel?"

WCW Okerlund is my favorite thing in wrestling, just because of how few fucks he gave. Would bury dudes directly to their face, hit on Woman, and get belligerent over nothing.

My favorite Mean Gene in WCW moment was when Nick Bockwinkel, who was playing the figurehead president, issued some silly Blackburn-esque edict, and Gene replied with, "What have you been smoking, Bockwinkel?"

Bockwinkel should have answered with a straight face, "opium".

• Like 1

WCW Okerlund is my favorite thing in wrestling, just because of how few fucks he gave. Would bury dudes directly to their face, hit on Woman, and get belligerent over nothing.

Not when he told Sean O'Haire to "blow it out your ass!"?

Not when he told Sean O'Haire to "blow it out your ass!"?

There was an awful one where he was talking to a newly-turned Major Gunns (*SIGH* WCW was just so shitty in 2000) and after the interview he said something like "I used to think she was hot, now she's just a bitch" that sounded so awful and misogynistic, even by 2000 WCW-level standards.

I'm amazed Russo never had a heel cameraman faction.

I mean, think about it...announcers/interviewers/ringside people all had wacky characters. 

What about during a match (say Goldberg vs Bret Hart for the WCW title) all the camera men just turn off their cameras?  All you hear is chaos and violence as the screen is pitch black.

The next night on Nitro, the babyfaces hack some satellite feed and announce the cameramen are refusing to shoot the show. The entire Nitro is just guerilla lightning as the babyfaces try to get their show broadcast.

Russo can have this idea for free. 

• Like 2

Was WCW salvageable after Russo's dismissal in January? I'm trying to imagine what WCW 2000 might have looked like with a competent booker.

I don't know if it was salvageable long term with Turner selling out, but they were bringing in a lot of young talent and seemed to be ready to push them. 

OK, I typed that before I actually looked at WCW's PPVs in 200s.  They really did everything they could to ruin their product.  The cruiserweight division was being retooled, but that is pretty much the only part of the roster that was worth anything going forward.  The main event was Nash, Jarrett, Booker T, Sid, and Steiner.  Everyone of those guys outside of Booker is either past their prime or stale.  The midcard is essentially a collection of elevated jobbers in gimmicks that made the audience take them even less seriously.  Bill Demott was General Hugh G. Rection, Private Stash, The Kiss Demon, etc.  were taking up a lot of PPV space.  The Cat, who is a guilty pleasure, Norman Smiley, who is another guilty pleasure, and Terry Funk were on almost every show.  Those guys were tons of fun, but no one post 2000 was buying a ticket to watch any of those guys.  They would have had to rebuild almost every wrestler on the roster and even then I don't know how many of those guys were worth salvaging. 

Was WCW salvageable after Russo's dismissal in January? I'm trying to imagine what WCW 2000 might have looked like with a competent booker.

You would need someone who could come in and really slash budgets and a decent booker who would not piss off the higher ups by booking dumb shit.

By March of 2001, Time Warner was practically paying someone to take WCW.