DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

In a lot of fields, it takes a certain type of personality to rise to the top. Look at executives, actors, singers, writers. Especially in a field as physically and psychologically demanding as professional wrestling, the traits that make you excel can also make you bad in a general social environment.

It's similar to why Kurt Angle is the type of person he is. To become an Olympic-level athlete, and a gold medalist at that, requires an almost-obsessive drive. He's simply transferred that drive from Olympic wrestling to professional wrestling. And as hard as it's probably been on him, I can't help but wonder if he's better off having pro wrestling as an outlet rather than trying to put all that drive and determination into, say, selling auto insurance.

It's weird that guys like John Cena and Sting seem to be the exception. What is it about THEM that keeps them "pure" (for a lack of a better term)?

In a lot of fields, it takes a certain type of personality to rise to the top. Look at executives, actors, singers, writers. Especially in a field as physically and psychologically demanding as professional wrestling, the traits that make you excel can also make you bad in a general social environment.

It's similar to why Kurt Angle is the type of person he is. To become an Olympic-level athlete, and a gold medalist at that, requires an almost-obsessive drive. He's simply transferred that drive from Olympic wrestling to professional wrestling. And as hard as it's probably been on him, I can't help but wonder if he's better off having pro wrestling as an outlet rather than trying to put all that drive and determination into, say, selling auto insurance.

It's weird that guys like John Cena and Sting seem to be the exception. What is it about THEM that keeps them "pure" (for a lack of a better term)?

I'd be careful with assuming anything about anybody in wrestling.

If Cena is secretly a sleazeball then he's also a sociopath of the highest order because he does such a good job with the charity work and seems to go out of his way to good deeds. 

I'm not so down on pro wrestling that I assume everyone involved is somehow a sleazeball.

If Cena is secretly a sleazeball then he's also a sociopath of the highest order because he does such a good job with the charity work and seems to go out of his way to good deeds.

I'm not so down on pro wrestling that I assume everyone involved is somehow a sleazeball.

I want to see "American Psycho" John Cena.

• Like 2

Perspective, I think. Cena had it even when he was a rookie. Sting's had it the last decade or so, since wrestling isn't the primary thing in his life.

I've never known until now how much I need to see Kurt Angle, insurance salesman.

• Like 2

I've never known until now how much I need to see Kurt Angle, insurance salesman.

That's exactly what I was gonna post!

• Like 1

Random thought: If I could watch one person do high-end offense all day, it would be Kanyon.

Of course.

Who betta than Kanyon?

This. I can't help but think if he had come in a few years later, when Pro wrestling and the world at large were more open minded and accepting, he could have admitted his sexuality and probably been a happier and more well adjusted person and a much bigger star. Back in his Mortis days, I used to chat with him through AOL IM, and he was always so kind and positive, such a shame how things went down with him. I know depression played a big part in his demise, I wonder if being able to be himself instead of hiding it would have helped in that respect.

Random thought: If I could watch one person do high-end offense all day, it would be Kanyon. 

This is interesting, because watching a lot of dying days WCW recently, I thought "Kanyon: Innovator of offense" aged super terribly. His execution wasn't really that great considering that was one of his actual nicknames for a while and he had very little in the way of good matches. I did mark for the Mortis/Glacier feud as a kid, though, and Positively Kanyon ruled so I don't want it to seem like I'm super down on him, but that aspect of his work just didn't hold up for me.

I guess I have to pitch an alternate answer now, so I'm going with Daniel Bryan. He may not have been the best in any one area (striking, flying, mat wrestling, high impact moves), but he was really good in all of them. I can't think of anyone with more well-rounded offense and his execution and transitions were always so smooth and crisp.

Well, Gary Hart did write in his book that Sting used to mock people with disabilities in airports back in the '80s.

He was in his 20s. I'm sure 56 year old Sting looks back on a lot of shit he did in the 80s and thinks "Man was I a dumbass"

Well, he's hardly perfect. Didn't he cheat on his wife for years?

Not that anyone has proved.

During his divorce - his ex-wife's attorney told TMZ that "they had been getting tips" that Cena was cheating on her. Nothing was ever proved; just the usual "celebrity cheating rumors"

And Total Divas ran an angle once where Nikki was convinced Cena was cheating on her but the swerve was that the "other women" was a realtor as Cena was buying Nikki a house.

I hate myself for everything in this post

• Like 7

I was going to write paragraphs about Sting, about how he's a symbol of something from my youth that is gone and can't ever come back, how he was far more relatable both as a character and a person than Hogan, how he stood up for his beliefs even if they weren't my beliefs and how he became a good person through them, etc.

But my bus was 30 minutes late so I'm not going to do that.

What I will say is that all accounts has 2015 Sting as a good guy, more Real Estate Steve than some egomaniac. He's someone who probably underestimated the sheer amount of good that WWE could allow him to do. I know there are plenty of reasons to be skeptical or jaded about WWE's charity work. Frigging Steph tweeting how much of a manipulative business interest it was for them was probably a bad call, for instance. But you hear about all the good Cena does and how so much of it is unreported, and you see the articles when someone like Bray Wyatt or Jack Swagger does their first Make-A-Wish, or the heartbreaking thing Nattie posted the other day about her make-a-wish kid dying, and the wrestlers, whether pressured into the situations or not, usually step up. 

Sting is a guy whose history of the last twenty years (after he grew out of being the person he was an into the person he is), by all indication, says that he wants to do good work. And on Monday night, he watched Cena, sort of in awe, and he hung back, followed behind, and then asked him if he could get in there and give her something, just on the spot. He asked Cena instead of imposing, instead of making it about him, and it's amazing that Cena has the sort of authority to answer that question. And Cena said yes, and Sting gave her his gloves and when he said that they were the ones he punched the giant with, he wasn't calling Wight by his WCW name, he was putting it in perspective for the girl. They were the gloves that he used to stand up to a giant. It's the sort of thing Sting can get away with because he's larger than life and the sort of thing he'd still do because he has that perspective.

It's not my favorite wrestling moment of the year, because Bayley, but him interacting with Cena there, riding shotgun with him, and then wanting to be a part of it and, completely unplanned, knowing exactly what to do and what to say to a kid who probably didn't have a great sense of who he was, because he's probably waited fifteen years for the chance to be able to do that sort of thing again... that's number two for me.

• Like 12

I was going to write paragraphs about Sting, about how he's a symbol of something from my youth that is gone and can't ever come back, how he was far more relatable both as a character and a person than Hogan, how he stood up for his beliefs even if they weren't my beliefs and how he became a good person through them, etc.

But my bus was 30 minutes late so I'm not going to do that.

What I will say is that all accounts has 2015 Sting as a good guy, more Real Estate Steve than some egomaniac. He's someone who probably underestimated the sheer amount of good that WWE could allow him to do. I know there are plenty of reasons to be skeptical or jaded about WWE's charity work. Frigging Steph tweeting how much of a manipulative business interest it was for them was probably a bad call, for instance. But you hear about all the good Cena does and how so much of it is unreported, and you see the articles when someone like Bray Wyatt or Jack Swagger does their first Make-A-Wish, or the heartbreaking thing Nattie posted the other day about her make-a-wish kid dying, and the wrestlers, whether pressured into the situations or not, usually step up. 

Sting is a guy whose history of the last twenty years (after he grew out of being the person he was an into the person he is), by all indication, says that he wants to do good work. And on Monday night, he watched Cena, sort of in awe, and he hung back, followed behind, and then asked him if he could get in there and give her something, just on the spot. He asked Cena instead of imposing, instead of making it about him, and it's amazing that Cena has the sort of authority to answer that question. And Cena said yes, and Sting gave her his gloves and when he said that they were the ones he punched the giant with, he wasn't calling Wight by his WCW name, he was putting it in perspective for the girl. They were the gloves that he used to stand up to a giant. It's the sort of thing Sting can get away with because he's larger than life and the sort of thing he'd still do because he has that perspective.

It's not my favorite wrestling moment of the year, because Bayley, but him interacting with Cena there, riding shotgun with him, and then wanting to be a part of it and, completely unplanned, knowing exactly what to do and what to say to a kid who probably didn't have a great sense of who he was, because he's probably waited fifteen years for the chance to be able to do that sort of thing again... that's number two for me.

This whole post just makes wish that Sting's TNA years had never happened and that he had signed with WWE in 2002. Not for the in-ring work, but for the fact that Sting could've done so much good during that time. 

• Like 1

I think - for whatever reasons - the WWE has a great group if young folks who really want to give back

We all joke about meat head Ryback but he is constantly is posting about the folks he gets to met and how much it means to him

PTP is EVERYWHERE and Titus and Darren are great in meeting kids, etc

And we have beat this horse before but no matter what you think of Miz - besides Cena, he is the WWE go to guy for not only media but charity things. He is so effortless doing them and if you watch things with kids, since he doesn't take himself too seriously, the kids can really feel relaxed because it's easy to mock Miz

Not that anyone has proved.

During his divorce - his ex-wife's attorney told TMZ that "they had been getting tips" that Cena was cheating on her. Nothing was ever proved; just the usual "celebrity cheating rumors"

And Total Divas ran an angle once where Nikki was convinced Cena was cheating on her but the swerve was that the "other women" was a realtor as Cena was buying Nikki a house.

I hate myself for everything in this post

Well, if it's just "the tips", it doesn't really count as cheating.

B)