DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

I am really, really hating the procedure of trying to re-install all my shit after upgrading to a bigger PS4 HDD.

Go to the Web site and re-download from there.

I am really, really hating the procedure of trying to re-install all my shit after upgrading to a bigger PS4 HDD.

My issue is less with the interface (bad though it is) and more that I get less than 1/4 the download speed compared to Steam (both wired connections) and less than that if I put on a video, that I can't download cloud saves if the game isn't installed, and that there's no way to install a big disc game without having the game open, unlike digital titles. So I can't play Diablo while GTA installs, but I can play GTA while Diablo installs. Thankfully, al my musts should be finished when I get home from work.

My issue is less with the interface (bad though it is) and more that I get less than 1/4 the download speed compared to Steam (both wired connections) and less than that if I put on a video, that I can't download cloud saves if the game isn't installed, and that there's no way to install a big disc game without having the game open, unlike digital titles. So I can't play Diablo while GTA installs, but I can play GTA while Diablo installs. Thankfully, al my musts should be finished when I get home from work.

This is probably why I will upgrade early one morning before work, so the downloads have while I'm at work to run, and I bet they'll still be going when I get home.

Oh, holy shit fuck that fucking First People shaman boss in Dungeon Siege 3 and his fucking damage shield. 

It took six tries to kill that mother fucker and then the key to victory if you are rolling as Lucas is to use Katarina as your second and free the Royal Soldiers from their cages and have everyone shoot the bastard to death while you deal with the adds and summoned monsters.

As someone who knows of them but never played them - are the Fire Emblem games appropriate for an about to be 11 year old boy?

My son has Fire Emblem Awakening on his Xmas list and I said I just needed to check to make sure

(I am assuming yes but never hurts to ask)

As someone who knows of them but never played them - are the Fire Emblem games appropriate for an about to be 11 year old boy?

My son has Fire Emblem Awakening on his Xmas list and I said I just needed to check to make sure

(I am assuming yes but never hurts to ask)

Yes and no. The story's heavier than I thought but nothing too major. I played (and beat) Fire Emblem Awakening and for whatever reason I actually cried watching a cutscene (which never happens to me in games).

Thaja is a sarcastic goth girl and one of the male characters sounds feminine.

Other than that, yeah it's probably fine.

Alright this is cumulative from the past two weeks.

Beat that new Call of Duty.  I was on veteran difficulty until that last part where you have to kill 3 of those fucking spider tanks that have to be killed very specifically.  Then I cranked that shit down to easy and just ran past the bad guys. Mostly seemed like you could never see the bad guys.  Even with the detective vision shit. I've been dabbling in the online shit.  I still don't understand what in the fuck I'm doin'.  I'm the woman with the grenade launcher thing.  Mostly seems like everybody else has 3 grenades and just kind of walks around with the sniper rifle preternaturally shooting you.  Mostly seems like a meat grinder.  Even with gear and general skill it seems mostly a peg above Mario Kart 8 in terms of how much I take shit seriously.  I'm preferring the domintation maps.  That's the one with the capture points?

Beat battlefield 4.  I enjoyed this mainly because I could actually see the bad guys when I was shooting at them and when I did shoot at them, they seemed to actually get shot.  Also, you get to keep saying "OMAR COMIN'" while you're playing.I keep putting off my full devotion to the online shit.  It says I played about forty minutes back in February.

Played a little Hell Yeah.  It's okay.  Don't like the way the wall jump works. It's like Rocket Knight but not good.  I also don't like when you get one of those Wario Ware minigames and just don't understand what they are wanting you to do.  It ain' Ori that's fer goddamned.

Also been putting in some all-nighters on fucking fallout 4.  When I reached level 18 it became apparent that yes, I did indeed need that local leader perk.  so now I have to level up my charisma for the next 4 levels  I'm avoiding the weapon specific buff perks.  Mostly just waiting 'til I can bump all my crafting shit up another notch.  Hey, here's somethin' else I hate.  How you don't get locked into conversations.  So fuckers (and more importantly the fucking Dog) can kinda walk out of range.  Also hate when the dog is in the way and I have to fuck around cancelling the interaction.  I'm just now at the diamond city shit. This is 40 hours in.  They seem to love throwing deathclaws at you whenever you have churches and shit like that to give the ol' Chuck Whitman routine on.  Then they get spooked and hide over in an alleyway and you have to traipse on over and nudge 'em back into play. 

I started Bioshock Infinite and I love the setting and how populated it is. The big problem is the autosave. A lot of the time I can only play for 10-15 minutes at a time, just when the toddler is doing something else or I have a gap, and while that worked ok for FFXIII which is the last thing I played, as I could just complete one save point to the next, save and jump out, I have a hard time knowing when it's saving and sometimes I just have to stop even though I'm 10 minutes in and not to a save point yet. It's really aggravating that they didn't just let us save whenever we wanted.

Actually, I play on PC. I should look up if there's some sort of mod for that. That's the point of playing on PC right?

See the Just Cause games, are they supposed to be a parody of Bush-era American Foreign Policy? Or do the writers really think the best way to install a new, USA-friendly regime in a hostile foreign country is to send in a CIA man to blow up every bit of infrastructure he can find, cut off the power and water supply to the citizenry, blow up every oil pipeline and petrol station he comes across, work with local criminal gangs to extend their influence and allow them to flourish and take territory away from the legitimate government...

Because if it's intended as a satire, it's not a very broad one. I can see people missing the point and legitimately thinking that the game is saying demolishing large sections of the third world is a great way to earn the respect and admiration of it's inhabitants.

See the Just Cause games, are they supposed to be a parody of Bush-era American Foreign Policy? Or do the writers really think the best way to install a new, USA-friendly regime in a hostile foreign country is to send in a CIA man to blow up every bit of infrastructure he can find, cut off the power and water supply to the citizenry, blow up every oil pipeline and petrol station he comes across, work with local criminal gangs to extend their influence and allow them to flourish and take territory away from the legitimate government...

Because if it's intended as a satire, it's not a very broad one. I can see people missing the point and legitimately thinking that the game is saying demolishing large sections of the third world is a great way to earn the respect and admiration of it's inhabitants.

The whole history of US inteference in Central and South America is a really deep, dark rabbit hole of reading I recommend everyone try at least once.

• Like 1

....I never thought that deeply about Just Cause while I was playing it.

I always thought of it as a '80s action movie (like Rambo First Blood Part II or Steven Seagal movies) in video game form. There's nothing enlightening and I'm not a better person for having played it.

I mean, one of the Americans in the game is a stereotypical redneck. It's obvious that Avalanche doesn't intend for you to derive a lot of meaning of their game. I haven't played Just Cause 3 (massive backlog) but I will over the Christmas break.

I don't see why anyone would make something that lasts 17 hours (and is repetitive) and not expect people to have their minds wander during it. Having said that, I am a 'What did they mean by that?' guy almost all of the time.