DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

Well tonight's NXT tapings were pretty damn great. Lots of rematches from last night and some really good matches.

First taping had a main event of Kevin Owens vs Adrian Neville. Ends in a double count out and Owens beats down Neville and gives him a powerbomb on the ring apron. Love that that move is the most dangerous move in NXT.

Sasha Banks had three matches. First was a rematch vs Charlotte that might have been better than last nights. Stiff match with Sasha briniging back the hard slaps to the back. Ric Flair was at ringside and Charlotte won clean. Second match vs vs Alexa Bliss in a short match. Last match was Charlotte/Nattie vs Team Bae with Sasha rolling up Charlotte. Good match and team Bae was on fire all night. Becky even beat Bayley clean earlier in the night.

Finn/Hideo had a big night. First they beat the Ascension. After that they won singles matches( Finn/Tyson and Hideo/Curtis Axel). Hideo's match wasn't that good but I blame Axel on that. Finn/Tyson was awesome.

Lucha Dragons retained vs the Vaudevillans. Not a good match.

In the biggest upset in years. Blue Pants finally beat Carmella thanks to Enzo distracting. It almost seems like they are breaking up Enzo/Cas but I'm not sure. Hope not.

They did the Baron Corbin vs Bull Dempsey match. Baron beat Bull in about a minute.

Main event was the Neville/Zayn title rematch. This was set up during the second hour of the tapings when Zayn had his big interview as champion. Crowd was going crazy for him. Neville came out and asked for a rematch. Regal set it up. Really great match almost up to last nights but not enough. Zayn retained in a clean finish. After the match, Kevin Owens attacked Sami again and laid him out.

• Like 2

Did Finn come out as a Symbiote with the big entrance or was he himself? It's kind of weird that this is my most pressing issue or question but here we are.

They kind of made it sound like at TakeOver that the fancy entrance is like a big fight war paint kind of thing - which I like the idea of. 

• Like 2

Did Finn come out as a Symbiote with the big entrance or was he himself? It's kind of weird that this is my most pressing issue or question but here we are.

They kind of made it sound like at TakeOver that the fancy entrance is like a big fight war paint kind of thing - which I like the idea of. 

Agreed.  When I saw him do that the other night I thought it was awesome, but also that it would get played out if he did it on a regular basis.  Him busting out some different piece of work for each big match would up the anticipation even more.  It's sometimes easy to figure out who is going to win/lose, but looking forward to see what kind of special gear he's going to bust out would make the big matches have that much more a special feel.

Just watched R-Evolution, and wow, what a show. I'm still partial to Mania 30 for personal reasons, but this show was legit special, and I don't fault anyone for thinking it's the best show of the year (or even decade).

Parker/Owens, which was a distant third best match on this show, is still top 25 or so for the year. Perfect debut showcase for Owens who was super fired up and hitting all his stuff with great force. There was maybe a hair too much Parker offense, but Owens' segments really out-weighed anything negative. That palm strike that legit KO'ed KO was a happy accident that propelled an already good match to great status. The hardway blood and quick recovery made Owens look lethal, and made that finishing stretch look even more brutal. Easily the best star-making finishing run since Cesaro/Orton earlier this year. I was a bit surprised the cradle neckbreaker wasn't his finisher, but the powerbomb was a beautiful set up for later.

Tag title match felt like filler, but I think that's more of a testament to the rest of the show, than slight on the match itself (which was adequate). Wondering if Gotch was out of position for the dive, or if this was setting up a VV break-up. Weird spot either way.

The crowd has gifted Baron Corbin a jetpack of a chant, yet their gradually increasing the time of his matches? Lame, but his big boot looked good at least.

Loved the entrances for the Itami/Balor team. Of course Balor's body paint was king, but Hideo's Kawada tribute was super cool too. The match was easily the best Ascension match ever. I think Viktor and Konnor were ultimately miscast as untouchable, because they don't have the offense to do impressive squashes, but they're surprisingly decent sellers/back-and-forth guys, especially Viktor. They should be more APA-esque where they can sell and no-sell intermittently. Also, Hideo and Balor are both ridiculously good, so that helps too. They should of let Hideo do the G2S, because as it is, he's been completely overshadowed by Balor now. With the video package/match combo, it's basically Hideo was supposed to be a huge star, couldn't hack it, then Balor came in cleaned up for him. On the other hand, Balor has way more long-term potential, so I'm all for some bad-ass booking for him.

Charlotte/Sasha was great, easily the women's match of the year, and certainly in the discussion for best WWE women's match ever. It's the first time I think we've seen a true divas epic. Charlotte/Nattie was close, but ultimately didn't get the overkill finishing run (and I mean that in the best of ways) this match did. The divas need more matches like this. Say what you want about "movez," they get people to pay attention and that's what women's wrestling needs in the worst way in WWE. The moves here were quite good too. The missed moonsault follow up spot usually looks pretty stupid, but the way Charlotte just casually rolled through with a senton looked almost believably improvised and it really squashed Sasha. The natural selection looks a million times better off the top rope than it does on the ground too. The character work was top-notch too. Both girls really looked like they hated each other and struck the perfect balance of trying to hurt each other and show each other up. Sasha was looking good in 5-ish minute matches, but I was even a little surprised she had this one in her. Charlotte has exuded star potential for a while, but Sasha maybe shone a little brighter on this night. Both have a great future.

Not much more can be said about Zayn/Neville. The one big thing I'll add is that I can't believe anyone was surprised their match was as good as it was. Indy spot guys, my ass. These are two smart, charismatic workers who just happen to be insanely athletic on top of everything. These guys put on a clinic of how to escalate action, incorporate a story, and play off the crowd (and I can't imagine they were expecting a pure heel reaction for Neville). The action was predictably wonderful. That blue thunder spot was beautiful, the powerbomb, the dives, the floor tornado DDT, the red arrow counter, everything. It was also a rare match where multiple ref bumps weren't horrendous momentum killers, and actually helped. Sami stayed true to himself and won the big one for a feel good moment.

Normally I'm a big advocate for faces getting a long feel-good period, but for some reason, I just felt that Sami is the type of guy who never gets any breaks, and it almost would've felt wrong for someone not to attack him here. They teased it with Neville, and waited until the very last minute (genius move to do the copyright graphic first, btw) for Owens moster turn. That powerbomb into the apron was the legit-est of "holy shit" moves, I nearly jumped off my couch. I loved that Owens basically established himself as the real deal as a face, so when this happened, it carried some serious weight. Major credit to Owens and the writers for taking a guy in his first appearance and making him look like the next big thing as a face, then have him do the biggest heart-rip moment of the year and immediately establish him as the new #1 heel.

That's gotta be the most I've written about any show in forever. God damn. TLC(S) is going to be the drizzling shits compared to this.

I just got back from a friend's wedding rehearsal dinner, where, huddled in a corner, me,him,  his best man, and his two 7 and 9 year old nephews all had a spirited conversation about the show. The beauty is, there was something for a 45 year old, two 27 year olds, and two little ass kids to enjoy. Raw AIMS to capture all of these audiences, and fails in the worst way imaginable. NXT put guys out there to do what they do best, and it worked on every single level. And that, to me, is the fundamental difference between NXT and the main roster.

Also that dude from reddit who sent the fruit basket is the best

• Like 3

Did Balor hit the reverse bloody sunday or was that something different?

Yep. The reverse bloody sunday.

Great show.

I'm not sure who the lead NXT writer is but I do know that he and the NXT roster had a meeting shortly after he was hired, and everyone was super excited to have him on board. I'm sure he laid out great ideas and proved he had a good mind for wrestling from the get go.

Re-watched this today. It was just about perfect.

I don't get to really see much indie wrestling, so this is the first I've seen of Owens. Fuck, he's a star. From the second he walked out, I was hooked and he didn't dissapoint at all. Parker got him hardway, and it probably added to the match. This guy will be wrestling on Sunday nights before too long.

The tag title match was the weakest of the night, probably, but perfectly acceptable wrestling.

I've said before that they're giving Baron Corbin the Magnum TA push, and it continued tonight. I'm curious to see if he can deliver when he gets paired up with someone that he isn't going to beat in 30 seconds or so.

The one negative, I think, was the Roman Reigns interview. If the WWE doesn't realize that that crowd was going to shit on him, they're out of their mind or delusional. I suppose it's too much to ask that they're shoving him down your throat on every show - sure the Slammy voting isn't worked - because they are doing a Honky Tonk Man/Rocky Maivia thing with him, right? Because he's not as popular as they think he is or want him to be.

Bālor and Itami vs the Ascension was just money. Unless he turns out to be a Phil Brooks level asshole, Bālor is going to make more money than he knows how to spend one day. And judging from Mr. Brooks, he may even make that much money if he is that kind of asshole.

They put the women's match in the "go out and die" slot, and the ladies did better than anybody could have expected. Charlotte has been involved in probably 2 of the top 10 matches I've seen in WWE this year. Sasha is better than anybody they have on the WWE Diva roster and she's like the third best woman in NXT.

I can't add anything about the main event except that the Zayn DDT on the floor might have been the move of the year. Holy shit.

And the Owens turn was Orndorff/Terry Funk-ish. Bra fucking vo.

the stream is messing  up at the main event anyone else having this problem I wanted to watch the whole show straight through for once, Branks vs Flair was my Motn so far and Zayn vs Neveill was getting good it started messing up.

i've ragged on the Balor cosplay thing in the past but I have to say that entrance was tremendous, the 'Muse' style music and the production was spot on

The music is really what helps set the mood for his entrance. Kinda similar to how Drew McIntyre's entrance package really made him out to be a big deal.

• Like 2

i've ragged on the Balor cosplay thing in the past but I have to say that entrance was tremendous, the 'Muse' style music and the production was spot on

The music is really what helps set the mood for his entrance. Kinda similar to how Drew McIntyre's entrance package really made him out to be a big deal.

Is there any idea what happened to him(brass ring not withstanding), because he seems to be everything they want in a star.  Not to mention, his double-arm DDT looks devastating.